Windows 10: Empty folders disappearing

Discus and support Empty folders disappearing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, OS: Windows 10 build 1082. Issue: Empty folders (randomly) disappear. This happened at least 2 times (of which I am sure). I do not recognize a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Umaro, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Umaro Win User

Empty folders disappearing

Hi,

Issue: Empty folders (randomly) disappear.

This happened at least 2 times (of which I am sure). I do not recognize a pattern.

When it happens, all the sub folders (within one "main folder") that did not have files in them just vanish. The other sub folders who contained files remained intact. I checked outside the "main folder", I found empty folders on the hard drive.

The first time I put it on the account of user manipulation. I recently bought an external hard drive and I have been transferring and organizing a lot. I also activate the option of not moving files to the Recycle Bin. Although I never made a mistake in the past ten years, this could have been my first time.
    There was a second time after that but I could not remember for sure if I did create the folders.
    This past 24 hours, on the other hand, it happened again, and this time I am positive it s not a user mistake: Empty folders are missing, other folders are fine.

I do not think it is malware or virus related.

There is no software, to my knowledge, that is supposed to interact directly with that "main folder".
    I do not use a cleaning software. I did defragment my hard drives lately, but after testing it today the problem did not occur (maybe I should re test it after creating a hundred empty folders...).

I did not find a relevant thread about this issue, and I have no idea where this is coming from.

If there is a need for additional information, please let me know, I ll try to answer as soon as possible.

P.S In case someone is wondering, an empty folder still has a name, and it is an useful data to me.

:)

Umaro, Nov 6, 2018
  2. silkstone Win User

Disappearing folder

I've encountered a strange problem in windows 10 where I tried to delete a file in a folder, but ended up deleting the whole directory. It did so without the usual pop-up to confirm delete or say it was too big for the recycle bin. It was my Videos folder, so pretty big, but the disk allocation has also remained the same.

I've always had a problem with 'double icons' for the different user folders, including videos, and so I'm thinking it could have something to do with the whole thing, especially as now one of the two video folders has disappeared from the users folders.

The first thing i tried was 'Undo delete', but it just bought the folder back with non of the contents. Then, I went straight to Recuva, but it came up blank (there must have been over 50 videos in the folder)

I'm at a little bit of a loss as where to start looking for this disappeared folder and was hoping someone might have some suggestions?

Screenshots below:

Empty folders disappearing upload_2017-4-1_22-11-14-png.png

silkstone, Nov 6, 2018
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Disappearance of the list of folders.

Hi Thomas,

There are various factors why your folders may disappear. It is possible that your folders were deleted, hidden, or move where they are saved before. To assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you allow someone to use your computer?
    • Have you tried checking if those folders are hidden?
    • Have you tried checking your Recycle Bin?

Any response will be highly appreciated.

Rose Cal, Nov 6, 2018
  4. Fred22 Win User

Picture folders mysteriously disappearing

Hi I'm back. None of the things you suggested helped to resolve the issue. This is a very strange thing....folders just disappearing into thin air. I know they must be somewhere. Do you have any further suggestions?

Fred22, Nov 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Empty folders disappearing - Similar Threads - Empty folders disappearing

2. Emptying folder like for trash

in Windows 10 Support
    Emptying folder like for trash: Hello, (on windows 10) I'm looking for a way to empty a folder content like if it was the main trash can. .bat, .reg or shell extension; I didn't found what i want. 114092
  3. User folder says empty

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User folder says empty: I have just bought a new laptop and have added it to my network, I am trying to open the user file from another computer on the network but when I open it I get a pop up that says the file is empty. I can access it from my little note book and all the files are there but not...
  4. Network Connections folder empty

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Connections folder empty: HP g6 laptop Had many problems with this laptop. Customer had at least 3 AV programs. Deleted all. (Including 3 Variations of AVG.) Finally got to where I can boot to Desktop, everything looks normal. Except no internet. Network Connections folder is empty. In Device...
  5. My OneDrive Folder Is Empty

in Windows 10 Support
    My OneDrive Folder Is Empty: Hello All, I just have a simple question. I use OneDrive regularly for different sharing options, either for music or for documents and even pictures. I just clicked on my OneDriver folder in my File Explorer and it is empty. I have not emptied it but I went there to delete...
  6. Empty Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Empty Folders: Hello, While making some search for a file in the system, I found by the way, hundreds of empty folders in the C:\users\admin\appdata\local\temp\ How about deleting them ? Thanks 72628
  7. Empty Command Window popping up and disappearing

in Windows 10 Support
    Empty Command Window popping up and disappearing: Hello can someone explain to me why the Command window keeps popping up all the time and I did look up as to whats going on and can't seem to find the problem, restart, turned it off and just let it sit there doing nothing and yet still pops up, the 29th is when everyone was...
  8. Empty folder in task scheduler

in Windows 10 Support
    Empty folder in task scheduler: I open task scheduler as administrator. I navigate to Microsoft, Windows, RAC. The task is empty. The RAC folder is System32 is there, but empty as well. The reason I looked is that my Reliability Monitor is no longer an option in Security and Maintenance. I've been having...
  9. Recent items folder Empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent items folder Empty: Hi - when I first open File Explorer all the recent items are there. I've added the Recent Items Folder to the Quick Access menu using instructions I found here by opening the shell:recent window. but it always says that the recent items folder is empty.The thread across the...
  10. Empty folder message for non-empty folder by Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Empty folder message for non-empty folder by Windows 10: "This folder is empty" message displayed by Microsoft OneDrive although the folder has thousands of subfolder with over 20 000 files! This error has been since Windows 10 OneDrive was introduced. 54515