Windows 10: Empty PDF in Microsoft Edge

Discus and support Empty PDF in Microsoft Edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; All of a sudden, when I open some (not all) PDFs they have blank contents in Edge. No viewer like Acrobat or PDFXChange installed. No viruses and SFC... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by hexaae, Mar 15, 2016.

1. hexaae Win User

Empty PDF in Microsoft Edge

All of a sudden, when I open some (not all) PDFs they have blank contents in Edge.
    No viewer like Acrobat or PDFXChange installed.
    No viruses and SFC /scannow is all right.

I don't think it's browser related but a more generic PDF format filter (?) corruption in my registry or DLL registration. On other PCs with Windows 10 x64 I can see the contents with Edge.

Someone can help providing a registry fix? *Rolleyes

Windows 10 x64 10586.164

Here is an online PDF example that looks empty on this PC (when loaded as default through Edge):

Empty PDF in Microsoft Edge [​IMG]

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUA...user_guide.pdf

This one opens correctly in Edge instead:
    https://eaassets-a.akamaihd.net/eahe...s_PC_en_US.pdf

P.S.
    Please, don't suggest me to install Acrobat, PDFXChange, Sumatra, FoxIt, NitroPDF or other tools as a workaround. I need to fix Windows default PDF filter.

:)

hexaae, Mar 15, 2016

2. How to open Portfolio Pdf files on Microsoft Edge?

Original title:- Microsoft Edge

Does anyone have a solution for viewing PDF files known as Portfolio pdf files using Microsoft Edge or a way to disable Microsoft Edge?

JenniferCallihan, Mar 15, 2016
  3. John 126 Win User
    Disabling Adobe PDF from Microsoft Edge

I have searched for Microsoft Edge in Programs and features (Control Panel) and it is not listed, nor is anything close to it listed. I tried a Search and came up empty for anything other than the app to click on which will take me to the internet.

Someone, please, I have done all on this string. Settings are maintained but when I am in Windows Explorer and click on a pdf file, everything listed reverts to Edge as the default program to open. Can Microsoft please advise how to UNINSTALL Microsoft Edge
    from my hard drive?

John 126, Mar 15, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, not one I've come across, and I can't readily find a related thread.

So here's something you may find worth trying, and certainly should be aware of. I've used it a couple of times successfully.

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same build as you have installed.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads (other than the display language)

This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper (free) + their boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Mar 16, 2016
  5. hexaae Win User
    Yes, thank you, I knew that solution too but I'll wait and see if some other user has found a less invasive fix for it, or maybe I'll be able to sort it out by myself (in this case I will post solution here of course to help other users).
    Everything else is perfect, it's just PDF view that got corrupt in some way (and in the meanwhile I can use other PDF viewers)... *sarc

hexaae, Mar 16, 2016
  6. But what if that's the solution? Both of the options you are using are less than optimal.

DeaconFrost, Mar 16, 2016
  7. hexaae Win User
    hexaae, Mar 17, 2016
  8. hexaae Win User

WOW, I didn't do absolutely NOTHING (didn't change anything in Edge and didn't uninstall a single program), but all of a sudden today all PDFs are displayed correctly again, including tests from first msg.
    Magical Windows auto-repair features or updates fixed the issue by itself? *Wink
    It's not the first time I see something like this on Windows... I've learned sometimes it's better to ignore small issues and just wait. No need for paranoid formats or restore points attempts...

hexaae, Apr 22, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Mm, guess you've benefited - like several others- from MS's cognitive built-in self-repair routine.
    (If only!)

But disk images remain the essential backstop.

dalchina, Apr 22, 2016
  10. hexaae Win User
    Aaaargh!
    It happened again after a pair of BSODs with the new Windows 10 CU 15063.138... let's see how much will it take to auto-solve by itself again *Wink

hexaae, Apr 22, 2017
  11. hexaae Win User
    If I save https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUA...user_guide.pdf locally in DOWNLOAD dir and open it with Edge, it will be fine...
    Ideas why is blank only from a network connection?

EDIT: from local storage only some PDF open correctly. Some others are still empty.

hexaae, Jul 2, 2017
  12. SoFine409 Win User
    Although I cannot give you the exact reason it probably is caused by one of the security settings, possibly in Edge. I wish I could tell you which one I don't know.

SoFine409, Jul 2, 2017
  13. hexaae Win User

I'm afraid I'll have to wait a major update reinstall of Edge browser from MS to solve this bug *Sad
    Or I could try the brute force way deleting C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe and reinstalling using PowerShell...

hexaae, Jul 11, 2017
  14. spunk Win User
    Open Edge,click on the 3 . . . in the Upper Right, choose Settings/Clear Browsing Data, Clear Cache and Browsing History. Now go to View Advanced Settings. Scroll down to Cookies and select Don't Block Cookies.

spunk, Jul 11, 2017
  15. hexaae Win User
    I didn't touch security settings though, and already cleared Edge... Mistery still unsolved...

hexaae, Aug 3, 2017
Thema:

1. Empty PDF in Microsoft Edge - Similar Threads - Empty PDF Microsoft

2. Microsoft print to PDF in Microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft print to PDF in Microsoft edge: When I print using Microsoft print to PDF printer option in Microsoft Edge it asked me for the destination for the PDF file to go to, which I then choose. However, it also automatically downloads to my Downloads folder giving me two copies in two separate destination folders....
  3. Microsoft print to PDF in Microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft print to PDF in Microsoft edge: When I print using Microsoft print to PDF printer option in Microsoft Edge it asked me for the destination for the PDF file to go to, which I then choose. However, it also automatically downloads to my Downloads folder giving me two copies in two separate destination folders....
  4. Microsoft print to PDF in Microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Roadmap for PDF reader in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Roadmap for PDF reader in Microsoft Edge: Over the course of last year, we worked hard on building a powerful PDF reader that offers compatibility, reliability, and security for you and your organization. The feedback we received from you from the Edge Insider builds has been really encouraging, and here are some...
  6. Pdf in edge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pdf in edge: Initially I saw content options in edge to go through contents of the pdf but now I can't see content options and searching is also not working I have to click ctrl key and F to search and that also not searching more than one word....
  7. Microsoft Edge's PDF viewer lags

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft Edge's PDF viewer lags: It a started a few updates ago, when the icon for Microsoft Edge went from an 'E' symbol to the new blue circle(?). Scrolling through a PDF file (already downloaded in the computer, not viewing from a website's link) feels horribly lag and it takes longer time than usual to...
  8. Microsoft Edge PDF reader alternative

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge PDF reader alternative: Hello, I have this issue I am having trouble with. I have a Microsoft surface. My surface got updated this morning. Before then, I could read all the pdf-s in Microsoft Edge application by moving the pages with my finger and then annotating/taking notes with my electronic...
  9. Microsoft Edge print to pdf problem

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge print to pdf problem: I need to save some webpages to pdf. I tried a Firefox extension Save as PDF, but that adds the company name to every page (fair enough - it's freeware). So I tried Microsoft Edge print to pdf function. Works OK, but for some reason, Edge adds a watermark of sorts 'Skip...
  10. Typing on Microsoft Edge Pdf file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Typing on Microsoft Edge Pdf file: I recently bought Microsoft Surface Go. Every time I open a pdf file it opens with Microsoft Edge, although, I can use the pen and write on the document but what about if I want to type on the document? Is there an option? If not what can I do to make it accessible? Can I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pdf is blank in edge