Windows 10: Empty USB ports showing in file explorer

Discus and support Empty USB ports showing in file explorer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; O.k. one question i never knew was did you have a front Card Reader on this PC or you just have USB ports on this PC ? If possible update your system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GracieAllen, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Empty USB ports showing in file explorer

I can't figure out HOW to change the system spec. I can SEE the old specs in My Profile. But it won't let me change any of them.

GracieAllen, Dec 6, 2015

2. Never mind, I accidentally stumbled on it... Specs SHOULD be current now.

Yes, I have a Rosewill unit in a drive bay. It's got 4 USB2 ports, 2 USB3 ports, 1 eSATA, and a half dozen card readers. Very handy to have.

The LATEST bizarreness is that now not ALL the empty USB ports are showing up... I THINK I may be having a stroke or something 'cause it changes randomly! At the MOMENT, where last night I had FOUR EXTRA empty USB ports mixed in with the disk drives and 2 ADDITIONAL ones that had flash drives plugged in BELOW the disk drives and between "Libraries" and "Network", TONIGHT all the RANDOM empty USB ports mixed in with the disks are GONE.......

I think I'll leave well enough alone and stop worrying about this particular oddity while I see if I can get this thing tuned and overclocked so my image management software will run faster!

GracieAllen, Dec 6, 2015
  3. jds63 Win User
    I have a StarTech Multi Card Reader USB 2.0 it only has 1 USB 2.0 and rest are cards, SD card, Micro SD,Compact Flash and a MS Pro Duo.
    All 4 reader cards show, but USB 2.0 does not unless plugged in and this is because i have it set that way in Folder options as i want it to.
    If i check the options of course then they will only show when something is inserted into one of them.

Was this installed by you Rosewill Card Reader unit and before Windows 10 ? Usually gets plugged into a USB 2.0 port on motherboard.
    Might be some issue with universal serial bus controller, check device manager look to see it shows correct there under Disk Drives and Portable devices. May need to try to uninstall all USB hubs and USB Mass storage device under USB Serial Bus Controller and reboot letting it re-detect them, only suggestion right now. As suggested try to give some screen captures if you like to.

jds63, Dec 6, 2015
  4. Empty USB ports showing in file explorer

I'm experiencing the same issue as OP:

Empty USB ports showing in file explorer [​IMG]

G, H, I and J drives should be hidden in File Explorer. Is there anything else to try other than uninstalling from the Device Manager? (already did that and couldn't fix it).

leandroprz, Dec 19, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member
    Hi leandroprz, welcome to tenforums.com! *Smile
    Did you try a restart or restart Explorer?
    You may have to remove the drive letters in Disk Management.

Edwin, Dec 19, 2015
  6. Hi!
    Restarting both didn't fix the issue.
    I removed the letters, and that made them dissapear from File Explorer, but now when I insert a card into the reader I can't see it in File Explorer, nor in This PC. It doesn't show up in Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media either.

leandroprz, Dec 19, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    Hmmm..., mystery!
    Better leave them the way they were, for now. *Sad

Edwin, Dec 19, 2015
  8. mitrajoon Win User

Empty USB ports showing in file explorer

Same problem here... but wait there's more...

Now my backup drive (external) shows up twice, libraries which was previously hidden and all the crap folders it contained, which were previously deleted, are now all back. All the folder checks, as suggested above, are checked. There is no way to just Hide Libraries by right clicking on it. Show Library is unchecked.

I've run the regedit actions that previously were published on this site to delete them, but they no longer work. My registration files are properly coded.

Any of you gurus able to help?

mitrajoon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Empty USB ports showing in file explorer

1. Empty USB ports showing in file explorer - Similar Threads - Empty USB ports

2. USB not showing up in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB not showing up in file explorer.: This problem has been going on for a while, a 1 TB usb drive that I own suddenly had a problem where it wouldn't appear on my file explorer and I couldn't open it.Yes I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, it didn't work. What do I do?...
  3. USB not showing up in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB not showing up in file explorer.: This problem has been going on for a while, a 1 TB usb drive that I own suddenly had a problem where it wouldn't appear on my file explorer and I couldn't open it.Yes I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, it didn't work. What do I do?...
  4. USB not showing up in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. File Explorer showing external drive connected to router as empty

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer showing external drive connected to router as empty: Hi, any help would be appreciated. I have CAX30 AX2700 modem router with USB connected external 8GB drive. I use the drive for playing videos only through Plex Media. The system is Windows 11 Home, 64 Until yesterday everything was working just fine. The external drive was...
  6. file explorer does not show me the usb ports?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer does not show me the usb ports?: I can no longer find my drives on files explorer. Forgave me if the information is out there and I just cant see it. thank you. I am 75 and my eyes are bad. Some of the help information does not enlarge enough for me to read,...
  7. File explorer is broken, not showing anything but an empty quick access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer is broken, not showing anything but an empty quick access: When I open file explorer the thumbnails just shows the white paper symbol no matter if the file in question is a folder, picture, or anything else.Then when I close file explorer and open it again the only thing shown is an empty quick access screen.I've tried to run sfc...
  8. Unknown USB Device in Empty Port

Unknown USB Device in Empty Port: Following a clean install of Windows Version 20H2 (Build 19042.867), I received an error message that Windows did not recognize the last USB device connected. Within Device Manager, the device status was reported as: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported...
  9. USB showing in diskpart but not file explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB showing in diskpart but not file explorer: I accidentally made a partition on my usb in diskpart, but now I cant see the drive in THIS PC submitted by /u/SonicBeast25 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g5pwea/usb_showing_in_diskpart_but_not_file_explorer/
  10. USB PORTS NOT SEEN IN FILE EXPLORER

USB PORTS NOT SEEN IN FILE EXPLORER: In WINDOWS 10 PRO, my USB ports were working/being recognized (with drive a drive letter) fine until I did a backup using Paragon Software from one external drive to another external drive. Now, neither of the two USB ports are being seen in Windows File Explorer. However,...