Windows 10: Emptying Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download folder.

Discus and support Emptying Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download folder. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Can we delete all folders and files in the above folder? 37643 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lvgandhi, Jan 15, 2016.

1. lvgandhi Win User

Emptying Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download folder.

Can we delete all folders and files in the above folder?

:)

lvgandhi, Jan 15, 2016

2. Windows 10 update stuck checking for updates

To solve this issue:

1. Go to the following folder and delete the contents:

C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

2. Empty your recycle bin.

3. Reboot your computer.

4. Then "check for updates" again.

Joe Cline2012, Jan 15, 2016
  3. Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64 (KB3186568)

Hi Phil,

One of the possible reasons why Windows Update is not working could be caused by a problem with the SoftwareDistribution. To troubleshoot this issue, let's rename the
    SoftwareDistribution folder on your computer. This folder is an essential component for Windows Update, which temporarily stores files needed to install new updates. If you're having trouble with Windows Update, it's safe to empty the content of the
    SoftwareDistribution folder. Windows 10 will always re-download all the necessary files, or re-create the folder and re-download all the components, if removed.

For steps on how to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder, kindly follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa found on this

link

We would appreciate an update about how it went.

Marilou Ser, Jan 15, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Yes, it is perfectly safe to do so and next time you run Windows update it will re-populate the download folder.

philc43, Jan 15, 2016
  5. lvgandhi Win User
    Thank You.

lvgandhi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Emptying Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download folder. - Similar Threads - Emptying SoftwareDistribution Download

2. Documents and downloads folders empty

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents and downloads folders empty: I bought a new windows 11 machine to replace an existing window10 PC. I moved my C drive from my old computer to my new computer now the D: drive. However, the documents and the downloads folders from the old computer on drive D: now appear empty. What happened and can I find...
  3. Documents and downloads folders empty

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Documents and downloads folders empty: I bought a new windows 11 machine to replace an existing window10 PC. I moved my C drive from my old computer to my new computer now the D: drive. However, the documents and the downloads folders from the old computer on drive D: now appear empty. What happened and can I find...
  4. Deleting SoftwareDistribution Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting SoftwareDistribution Folder: Dear Support,I accidentally deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder instead of the downloads forler inside of there while clearing caches.I did press skip on everything that popped up.I just wanna make sure if all it okay by asking this here.Or is it better to delete the...
  5. Delete SoftwareDistribution folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete SoftwareDistribution folder: If I delete the SoftwareDistribution folder can I still uninstall updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-softwaredistribution-folder/990eb5dc-1966-4e82-9bb3-ee8da3a39e54
  6. Updates 4.04 GB but SoftwareDistribution folder is empty.

Updates 4.04 GB but SoftwareDistribution folder is empty.: [ATTACH] Hello, I'm having an issue in which according to settings, the updates are taking 4.04 GB of space. Is there any way to clean it? I already checked SoftwareDistrubition/Download and it's empty there. Can someone please help me with this issue? Thank you....
  7. C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download deleting

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download deleting: the folder is 20 gb i deleted it with razer cortex is it safe to delete its 20 gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cwindowssoftwaredistributiondownload-deleting/7121844b-82bb-4a53-ad52-3a93fcfc9ffb
  8. download folders show empty

download folders show empty: i have a lenovo lap top with windows 10 pre installed and when i download any files they show empty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-folders-show-empty/a865bfc2-3105-4dc0-bf60-53631888f39d
  9. My download folder is empty

My download folder is empty: A few days ago I bought a brand new laptop and updated everything so I could start downloading the things I needed. I start downloading and my download folder is empty, when I go to Edge it and click show folder for my downloads its still empty. I don't know what to do....
  10. SoftwareDistribution Folder

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    SoftwareDistribution Folder: ]I just found where all my updates were located. However there are lots of folders and files. Can I safely delete them as they take up lots of space? The figure below shows how much is in the folder. Thanks for any help. [img] 15686