Windows 10: "Enable insecure guest logons" group policy not working after 20H2 update.

Discus and support "Enable insecure guest logons" group policy not working after 20H2 update. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [IMG] I'm having issues accessing shares after the 20H2 update. I have enabled the "Enable insecure guest logons" group policy and yet i still get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Shaqnothot, Nov 27, 2020.

1. "Enable insecure guest logons" group policy not working after 20H2 update.

/u/Shaqnothot, Nov 27, 2020
  2. Donnes78 Win User

Is Enabling Insecure Guest Logons Okay?

Could Somebody tell me If I enable insecure guest logons, Is that Ok?

Donnes78, Nov 27, 2020
  3. Is Enabling Insecure Guest Logons Okay?

This doesn't really make sense from technical documentation. Look at what the explanation says:

If you enable this policy setting or if you do not configure this policy setting, the SMB client will allow insecure guest logons.

So, before you enabled it, it was "not configured"!

So, you should see the same behavior whether or not you "enable" it. Unless it was already configured and set to "disabled" which is not the default!

About the NAS: do you have set user accounts on it? I would assume that you don't have any user accounts on it. Maybe everybody has access to it? If you create the exact same user account with same password on the NAS that you use on your Windows machine and
    enable password-protected sharing in Windows you should be able to access the file shares just fine.

B-Hörnchen und A-Hörnchen, Nov 27, 2020
  4. "Enable insecure guest logons" group policy not working after 20H2 update.

Is Enabling Insecure Guest Logons Okay?

If you are the only one using it then there is no reason to use a public share. A public share is for being able to access a share from numerous PCs without authentication (and you are not able to provide everyone with a user/password access to the NAS).
    That means if someone hacks your router (which they do by the millions) or intrude in your network/PC by other means they can access this public share (no matter what you set in Windows). If you use it from "outside" your network (as they mention "Cloud")
    you should definitely not use a Public share.

You should be able to move the files to the private share area or to expand the private share area to it. No? I don't know how their devices work.

Also note, that "enable insecure guest logons" is not the same as enabling the guest account in Windows as the IA seems to think. It is *not* for allowing unauthenticated access to your (usually disabled) guest account in your Windows system!

This setting tells the client (your PC) that it can try an insecure unauthenticated login at *another* server (your NAS). That's all. And, as I said, it should be "enabled" by default as "not configured" means "enabled".

B-Hörnchen und A-Hörnchen, Nov 27, 2020
Thema:

"Enable insecure guest logons" group policy not working after 20H2 update.

1. "Enable insecure guest logons" group policy not working after 20H2 update. - Similar Threads - Enable insecure guest

2. Enable group policy edit.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable group policy edit.: How do I enable group policy edit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-group-policy-edit/b1b67a7d-433f-448b-894e-de19815d1e95
  3. Enable group policy edit.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enable group policy edit.: How do I enable group policy edit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-group-policy-edit/b1b67a7d-433f-448b-894e-de19815d1e95
  4. Group Policy Failed to logon access is denied

Group Policy Failed to logon access is denied: Hello, I have "Group policy failed to logon access is denied" issue when try to logon to windows.I tried to logon through safemode but the issue is the same. I put password, "Group policy failed to logon access is denied".I don't know how to fix this problem... I can't even...
  5. Group Policy Failed to logon access is denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Group Policy Failed to logon access is denied: Hello,I have "Group policy failed to logon access is denied" issue when try to logon to windows. I tried to logon through safemode but the issue is the same. I put password, "Group policy failed to logon access is denied".I don't know how to fix this problem... I can't even...
  6. Group Policy Failed to logon access is denied

Group Policy Failed to logon access is denied: Hello,I have "Group policy failed to logon access is denied" issue when try to logon to windows. I tried to logon through safemode but the issue is the same. I put password, "Group policy failed to logon access is denied".I don't know how to fix this problem... I can't even...
  7. Why do I need to enable insecure guest logon and can I avoid it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why do I need to enable insecure guest logon and can I avoid it: Hi, I have a home network with 3 computers. 2 of them run win 10 home (laptop and HTPC) and the other one runs win 10 pro (desktop). the HTPC computer is sharing a couple folders with the everyone user group. On the laptop I can access these files with no issues, the desktop...
  8. Insecure Guest Logons

Insecure Guest Logons: Could Somebody tell me If I enable insecure guest logons, Is that Ok? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/insecure-guest-logons/eb39b0a8-98c3-45c1-ade5-442bf96ce96f
  9. Is Enabling Insecure Guest Logons Okay?

Is Enabling Insecure Guest Logons Okay?: Hello, I now have access to my NAS Drive and thats because I went to the local group policy editor and set it to enabled but I'm not sure if I should use it, I'm using it because I keep getting the error Windows Cannot access \\SERVER NAME And then the error code...
  10. Error 0x80070035 Fixed by enabling insecure guest logons

Error 0x80070035 Fixed by enabling insecure guest logons: So we changed from a wireless to a wired network and one of the computers could not access the server computer giving error code 0x80070035. After much trouble shooting. I've tried resetting sharing options, turning off and on firewalls, signing in with the same user name...