Windows 10: Enable or Disable Allow wake timers on Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Allow wake timers on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If your computer is waking up from Sleep automatically, there is a chance that the Allow wake timers option is enabled. If you want to disable or turn... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Apr 23, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Enable or Disable Allow wake timers on Windows 10

If your computer is waking up from Sleep automatically, there is a chance that the Allow wake timers option is enabled. If you want to disable or turn off Allow wake timers on Windows 10, here is a step-by-step guide that will be helpful.

Even if you put your computer on Sleep mode, it may wake up to perform a scheduled task that you set earlier. Similarly, if an update was set to be installed at a predefined time, the Allow wake timers functionality could wake your system up automatically. This functionality is included in the Power Options, and you can turn it on or off according to your requirements.

Enable or Disable Allow wake timers on Windows 10 disable-allow-wake-timers-windows-10-3.jpg

What is Allow wake timers in Windows 10

At times, we schedule a task to be performed at a predefined time, or Windows sets a particular time to install pending updates automatically. Let’s say that a task is set to be performed at 6 PM, but you put your computer on Sleep mode at 5:55 PM. Your Windows 10 PC will wake itself up automatically at 6 PM to perform the task in that situation. It happens because of the Allow wake timers feature.

Read: What is a Wake source for Windows computer?

However, if you do not want your Windows 10 PC to utilize the Allow wake timers option, here is how you can stop it. Before heading to the steps, you should know that you are required to change the same setting twice in two different locations if you are using a laptop computer. As laptop computers have mainly two modes (plugged in and on battery), it is required to change the setting twice.

How to disable Allow wake timers on Windows 10

To enable or disable Allow wake timers on Windows 10, follow these steps-

1. Search for edit power plan in the Taskbar search box.
    2. Click on the individual result.
    3. Click on the Change advanced power settings option.
    4. Choose a power plan that you are using.
    5. Expand the Sleep settings.
    6. Expand Allow wake timers option.
    7. Click on Enable option for On battery and Plugged in.
    8. Select the Disable option.
    9. Click the OK button.

Search for the “edit power plan” in the Taskbar search box and click on the individual result. It opens the Edit Plan Settings window on your screen. After that, click on the Change advanced power settings option and choose the power plan you are using from the drop-down list.

Enable or Disable Allow wake timers on Windows 10 disable-allow-wake-timers-windows-10.png

Now, expand the Sleep menu and click on the Allow wake timers option. If you are using a laptop computer, you can find two options – On battery and Plugged in; if you are using a desktop computer, you can find Settings.

Enable or Disable Allow wake timers on Windows 10 disable-allow-wake-timers-windows-10-1.jpg

Either way, click on the corresponding Enable option and choose the Disable option to turn on Allow wake timers.

Enable or Disable Allow wake timers on Windows 10 disable-allow-wake-timers-windows-10-2.jpg

As mentioned earlier, you must do the same for On battery and Plugged in if you are using a Windows 10 laptop.

Finally, click the OK button to save the change.

Hope this guide helped.

Related: Prevent Computer from waking up from Sleep.

Enable or Disable Allow wake timers on Windows 10 disable-allow-wake-timers-windows-10-3.jpg
    This article Enable or Disable Allow wake timers on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Apr 23, 2021

2. Windows 10 -- Cannot disable the mouse from waking computer from sleep

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

Follow the steps below to try to disable device to wake the computer:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click on Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type powercfg –devicedisablewake and press
      Enter.

• Restart the computer and check if issue persists.
    Method 2: Disable the Wake timers

Follow the steps below to Disable the Wake timers:

• Press Windows key +X.

• Click on Power Options.

• Click on edit Plan Settings and click on
      Change advanced power settings.

• Expand Sleep option and “Allow wake timers" and set this to
      disable.

• Restart the computer and check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Apr 23, 2021
  3. btroiyesr Win User
    How to stop wake timers

That didn't work. I tried what you suggested as well as many other things before posting my question and that's why you can see my frustration and anger in my post. If you search online, you will find thousands of frustrated people writing posts stating
    that those steps didn't work for them either.

Here is what I have tried so far:

I disabled wake timers in all power profiles on my system.

I disabled the Reboot task in Task Scheduler

Running Get-ScheduledTask | where {$_.settings.waketorun} in PowerShell returns nothing

Running powercfg -devicequery wake_armed in PowerShell returns NONE

Running powercfg -waketimers returns "There are no active wake timers in the system."

I disabled "Enabling Windows Update Power Management..." in the Group Policy Editor

In Control Panel > Automatic Maintenance, I disabled "Allow scheduled maintenance to wake my computer..." and changed the time to 4:00pm just in case

And, still, that doesn't prevent my computer from waking up in the middle of the night. This is infuriating. This should not be a hard thing to disable. It's MY computer, not Microsoft's, and I should determine if I want it to wake up or not.

So, do you have any other suggestions?

btroiyesr, Apr 23, 2021
  4. JBtje Win User

Why does Power Options -> Sleep -> Allow wake Timers -> Disabled not work?

Hello,

In windows 10, I have set all configurations I can find to prevent windows from waking up from sleep automatically.

I have prevented windows from waking up to maintain (e.g. install updates), but have also set the "Allow wake timers" to "Disable"

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -waketimers

Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolumeX\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe expires at 23:51:48 on 24/09/2015.

Reason: generic

I have put my PC to sleep at 23:50, and saw my PC being woken at 23:51:48 even though the wake timers is set to Disable (like seen in this image

click here for image
    )

WHY is a Spotify wake timer being able to wake my PC from sleep !?

JBtje, Apr 23, 2021
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Allow wake timers on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Allow

2. Is it safe to disable wake timers?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it safe to disable wake timers?: Is it safe to disable wake timers? I have the choice between no timers at all, or just important timers. Tired of my PC waking up during night. Thanks. submitted by /u/BuldozerX [link] [comments]...
  3. Can't disable wake timer; "Allow this device..." greyed out

Can't disable wake timer; "Allow this device..." greyed out: I used "powercfg -lastwake" to check what exactly woke up my PC just now, since I lightly touched my phone and it instantly woke it up. I was honestly shocked. (And last night, my mouse was doing the same; moving it even the slightest would wake the PC). But when I went into...
  4. Disable 'Important Wake timers Only'

Disable 'Important Wake timers Only': Lately, my laptop has been waking up from Sleep Mode in the middle of the night. I researched about this and found out it has been waking up due to Wake Timers. I know how to disable Wake Timers but recently saw that Windows had a new option, 'Important Wake timers Only'....
  5. Wake timers

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wake timers: Hey all, i was wondering about the wake timers in windows... my pc has been waking up in the middle of the night because of wake timers, and while i know how to disable them, i was wondering if there could be any adverse effects of doing this? The timers seem to be set by...
  6. Windows 10 Not Sleeping After Wake Timer

Windows 10 Not Sleeping After Wake Timer: Greetings all! I've been trying to remedy this issue I've had with Windows 10 since instillation about a year and a half ago. I'm running Windows 10 Education (Version 1903) on a single user home computer. I notice quite often in the morning that the system is powered on,...
  7. Cannot Disable the "Allow device to wake computer" !!! -- Windows 10

Cannot Disable the "Allow device to wake computer" !!! -- Windows 10: Just to preface... This was working for me just fine for the last 3 years, until I recently got a new desk and had my computer unplugged for a few days. I am using the Razer Chroma mouse and keyboard with the latest Razer firmware... I have gone into the Device Manage and...
  8. View Wake Timers in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    View Wake Timers in Windows 10: How to: View Wake Timers in Windows 10 How to View Active Wake Timers in Windows 10 [img] Information A wake timer is a timed event that wakes the PC from hibernate states at a specific time. For example, a task in Task Scheduler set with the "Wake the computer to run...
  9. Add or Remove Allow wake timers to Power Options in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Allow wake timers to Power Options in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Allow wake timers to Power Options in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove "Allow wake timers" from Power Options in Windows 10 The Allow wake timers setting in Power Options allows Windows to automatically wake your computer from sleep on a timer for...
  10. Enable or Disable Wake Timers in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Wake Timers in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Wake Timers in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable to Allow Wake Timers in Windows 10 A wake timer is a timed event that wakes the PC from hibernate states at a specific time. For example, a task in Task Scheduler set with the "Wake the...