Windows 10: Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; hello, the account at set up of windows 10 is my administrator account, this shows at the login screen, with the other (built in)account... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by poolwizard, Jul 31, 2015.

1. wbhworld Win User

Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10

hello,
    the account at set up of windows 10 is my administrator account, this shows at the login screen, with the other (built in)account administrator" which I want to remove from log in screen. When I start windows 10 it goes by default to built in administrator"account , with the other log in option of my account I made at setup of windows 10 with admin rights. I can not remove built in account at log in screen with options posted here, it can not be removed..*Sad

wbhworld, Jan 11, 2016
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

I see. You may have set Windows to automatically sign in to the built-in Administrator which could cause this still even after disabling the account.

As a test, check the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer box in netplwiz, and click on OK to see if that may sort this.

Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

Brink, Jan 11, 2016
  3. wbhworld Win User
    This did the trick, Amazing!! I really appreciate your assistance(again)thanks very much*Party

wbhworld, Jan 11, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Jan 11, 2016
  5. offpath Win User
    How can I make an account visible? The cmd window says the built-in administrator account has been successfully created. exists. It does not appear in W 10. What step have I stupidly overlooked?

On Windows 10 I have a regular, non-local user account created when the OS was loaded. It has Administrator privileges.

I want to use the built-in administrator account. I created it using the elevated cmd window inside W 10. I entered (no quotes)
    "net user administrator active:yes" at the command prompt. The cmd window returned "successful".

In W 10, I can't see the account to log into it under switch user or at boot.

I have also successfully tried cold booting to cmd (Via Advanced Startup Options), to alter (via regedit) the file SAM in the registry hive. The system will not allow that, as "the file is in use."

offpath, Jan 23, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Your specs show ................OS Windows 710.
    Do you mean you have both Win 7 and Win 10 ?

As to "switch user" option, it does not exist in Win 10. There are Sign out, Sleep, Shut down and Restart. No switch user.
    As to built-in admin account, you don't see it when you've restarted and in sign in screen ?

davidhk, Jan 23, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 23, 2016
  8. offpath Win User

Hi,

I would welcome further expert advice!

The problem of the built-in Admin account not appearing persists, although your command did yield a list that showed it is disabled. Here is a reflection of what I did in answer to your answer.

Code: ---------------------- net user administrator active:yes The command completed successfully. ********************************* wmic useraccount list full >"C:\Users\Lenovo G50\Desktop\UserAccountDetails1.txt" ----> AccountType=512 Description=Built-in account for administering the computer/domain Disabled=TRUE Domain=LAPTOP-57URRRKO FullName= InstallDate= LocalAccount=TRUE Lockout=FALSE Name=Administrator PasswordChangeable=TRUE PasswordExpires=FALSE PasswordRequired=TRUE SID=S-1-5-21-613216492-1324371177-2848107637-500 SIDType=1 Status=Degraded AccountType=512 Description=A user account managed by the system. Disabled=TRUE Domain=LAPTOP-57URRRKO FullName= InstallDate= LocalAccount=TRUE Lockout=FALSE Name=DefaultAccount PasswordChangeable=TRUE PasswordExpires=FALSE PasswordRequired=FALSE SID=S-1-5-21-613216492-1324371177-2848107637-503 SIDType=1 Status=Degraded AccountType=512 Description= Disabled=FALSE Domain=LAPTOP-57URRRKO FullName=Frances Huessy InstallDate= LocalAccount=TRUE Lockout=FALSE Name=Frances Huessy PasswordChangeable=TRUE PasswordExpires=FALSE PasswordRequired=FALSE SID=S-1-5-21-613216492-1324371177-2848107637-1001 SIDType=1 Status=OK AccountType=512 Description=Built-in account for guest access to the computer/domain Disabled=TRUE Domain=LAPTOP-57URRRKO FullName= InstallDate= LocalAccount=TRUE Lockout=FALSE Name=Guest PasswordChangeable=FALSE PasswordExpires=FALSE PasswordRequired=FALSE SID=S-1-5-21-613216492-1324371177-2848107637-501 SIDType=1 Status=Degraded[/quote]

offpath, Jan 26, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Interesting. The account details do indeed show that your built-in Administrator is currently disabled despite using the command to enable it.

Description=Built-in account for administering the computer/domain
    Disabled=TRUE

As a test, see if enabling the built-in Administrator using one of the other options in the tutorial may enable it instead.

Brink, Jan 26, 2016
  10. Thanks Brink, after browsing through some of the many articles and tutorials you have written in these forums, I am pretty much in awe of your computer skills. Thank you for sharing so freely of your expertise, I truly appreciate it.*Smile

dorian mode, Jan 28, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome Dorian. I'm glad the tutorials could help. *Smile

Brink, Jan 28, 2016
  12. And now to thank you once again for a great guide as always as well as stopping to share one finding here regarding the screens in Step 2 and Step 6 in Option Two.

Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10 [​IMG]

I had to delay the catch with the snipping tool in order to catch both screens in the act of first in Step 2 getting into the user groups and unchecking the box to not only enable the hidden admin account but to provide the full name for it. For security reasons random name changes can help prevent any negative consequences from having it enabled and someone finding out just what name the hidden admin uses.

The other screen captures shows the need to use the right click to rename option when going to rename the account in addition to the rename on the line in the screen followed by clicking on the apply button. A fast right click on the Start button to select the Control Panel followed by opening the Administrative tools as outlined in Option Two saves a whole world of time if and when you decide to rename it.

Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Still need to work on that other item regarding taking ownership but wanted you to see that there is a little room even with the built in account for a little customization? *Smile

Night Hawk, Feb 21, 2016
  13. Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10

At first when going to make the effort I ended up back over at SF for the local security policy editor references as well as trying the command prompt option and found that nothing would happen with the msc commands first realizing I was still on the 10 Home not Pro VM? *Eek*Confused

Then when going to retrace the initial steps that did see results the interesting thing was finding out I was already right there in the first place for taking care of two things rather then making two trips. The main just saw the default admin come to life for seeing what can done on a physical install rather then just on a VM since I have four drives full of files to try and take ownership over as well as how many of the programs will be available there. The VMs looked rather blank until opening the AllApps up for a look! *chuckle

Night Hawk, Feb 21, 2016
  14. johnsojd Win User
    I was experiencing the same problem as offpath, in that enabling the built-in administrator (from the command prompt at boot) wasn't actually doing anything. I hunted around online and found a neat trick on superuser.com that switches the "Accessibility Options" button on the login screen to a command prompt button... The process is as follows:

That command prompt will allow you to add a password to the built-in administrator account and consequently log in. Once there you can add a new user to the machine (with admin privileges).

Josh

johnsojd, Mar 28, 2016
  15. I have used the Administrator account quite successfully to install Windows Features when I could not as an ordinary user (even one with Administrator priveleges). Thanks!

martyfelker, Apr 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Elevated

2. Administrator Account has been disabled on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Administrator Account has been disabled on Windows 10: This article mentions various methods to fix your disabled administrator account on Windows 10. To access most of the features, you need administrator privilege on your PC. And, if you are not able to access the administrator account for some reason, it can prevent you from...
  3. Enumerate administrator accounts on elevation policy

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Enumerate administrator accounts on elevation policy: I am the only one using my laptop and I set the UAC elevation prompt to Prompt for Credentials on the Secure Desktop for local Admin accounts which I prefer to use....
  4. Enable Administrator account through user account in windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Enable Administrator account through user account in windows 10: Dear All, I just created a local user account in windows 10 pro. But unfortunately, I disable the administrator account and restart the system. i wanted to enable administrator account again now but its showing access is denied error. Can anyone suggest me to enable...
  5. Elevated administrator name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Elevated administrator name: On the cmd prompt I entered a name for the "elevated administrator". Now I want to change it but I forgot what it was, and I need to know what it is to change it. How or where can I go in win 10 to see what it is?*Redface 36592
  6. Windows 10 automatically disabled my administrator account

Windows 10 automatically disabled my administrator account: So I have an old admin account on my computer, that I dont remember the password for because I haven't used it in over a year. I started using my administrator account and when I upgraded to win10, it automatically disabled my administrator account and now i can't login to...
  7. Administrative account disabled

Administrative account disabled: I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and wanted to get rid of the login screen password and turn off UAC because I find both of them annoying. After I tried to disable the main user password, it basically removed all permissions from my profile and I couldn't access...
  8. Access denied disabling Built-in Elevated "Administrator" Account

in Windows 10 Support
    Access denied disabling Built-in Elevated "Administrator" Account: Following an internet tutorial to disable Group Policies at start-up, I've found out somewhere on my PC ( domain=9PP0802 ) that I only had read permissions. Full Control, was in the hand of the mighty Built-in Elevated "Administrator" Account. So I've tried to change...
  9. See if Process is Running as Administrator (elevated) in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    See if Process is Running as Administrator (elevated) in Windows 10: How to: See if Process is Running as Administrator (elevated) in Windows 10 [img] Information A process is an instance of a program that is being executed. Each process running in Windows is assigned a unique decimal number called the process ID, or PID. Some...
  10. Enable or Disable Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Account in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Account in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable User Accounts in Windows 10 User accounts help control which files and apps each person can use and what changes they can make to the PC. If you have a user account that you want to make...