Windows 10: Enable or troubleshoot Autorun/Autoplay for a USB stick/flash drive

Discus and support Enable or troubleshoot Autorun/Autoplay for a USB stick/flash drive in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; An autorun.inf file is a text file that can be used by the Autorun and AutoPlay components of Microsoft Windows. When a USB drive is plugged into a USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Chetan Kochhar, Nov 17, 2022.

1. Enable or troubleshoot Autorun/Autoplay for a USB stick/flash drive

An autorun.inf file is a text file that can be used by the Autorun and AutoPlay components of Microsoft Windows. When a USB drive is plugged into a USB port, an autorun USB dialog appears that prompts you to do certain operations: print images, run Windows Media Players, or open a folder. But what if you have a particular application on the USB drive and want it to be launched from the autorun USB dialog? You can put autorun.inf into the root of the USB drive and edit its commands to get the app started when the USB key is plugged.General Troubleshooting to repair USB operationsClear/remove al

:)

Chetan Kochhar, Nov 17, 2022

2. Autorun on a USB is not working.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please do let us know if you have installed all the pending updates on your device.

Also, check with the sound drivers as well.

I suggest you to check with the setting for AutoPlay and check if it helps.

Even if you have turned on the AutoPlay option, there might be some option chosen Choose AutoPlay defaults. I suggest you to check with those options.

Steps:

• Press Windows key, type AutoPlay and click on AutoPlay settings.
    • To enable AutoPlay, move the Use AutoPlay for all media and devices button to On.
    • Next you can choose and set your AutoPlay defaults.
    For Removable drives, the following options are available from the drop-down menu:

• Take no action
    • Open folder to view files
    • Ask me every time
    • Configure this drive for backup (File History)
    • Configure storage settings (Settings).

For Memory Cards, the options available are:

• Play video files using alternate
      software
    • Play using Windows Media Player
    • Take no action
    • Open folder to view files
    • Ask me every time.
    Set your options and exit.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Ruth Buruga, Nov 17, 2022
  3. Walene Win User
    Formatting a usb flash drive for autoplay

How to format a usb flash drive for autoplay when connected to other devices like karaoke machine

Walene, Nov 17, 2022
  4. Enable or troubleshoot Autorun/Autoplay for a USB stick/flash drive

usb does not show up for flash drive

Have you tried checking the flash drive if it is listed on Devices and Printers? Is AutoPlay enabled?

ChandriaNicole, Nov 17, 2022
Thema:

Enable or troubleshoot Autorun/Autoplay for a USB stick/flash drive

1. Enable or troubleshoot Autorun/Autoplay for a USB stick/flash drive - Similar Threads - Enable troubleshoot Autorun

2. Enable or troubleshoot Autorun/Autoplay for a USB stick/flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enable or troubleshoot Autorun/Autoplay for a USB stick/flash drive: An autorun.inf file is a text file that can be used by the Autorun and AutoPlay components of Microsoft Windows. When a USB drive is plugged into a USB port, an autorun USB dialog appears that prompts you to do certain operations: print images, run Windows Media Players, or...
  3. Autoplay for USB drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Autoplay for USB drive: Why do I no longer have the option to have external drives and USB sticks automatically opening file explorer since the last update?Instead I now only have the totally unwanted 'Configure storage settings' option which gives the warning 'The following drives might contain...
  4. Autoplay for USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Autoplay for USB drive: Why do I no longer have the option to have external drives and USB sticks automatically opening file explorer since the last update?Instead I now only have the totally unwanted 'Configure storage settings' option which gives the warning 'The following drives might contain...
  5. Autoplay for USB drive

6. Formatting a usb flash drive for autoplay

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting a usb flash drive for autoplay: How to format a usb flash drive for autoplay when connected to other devices like karaoke machine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-usb-flash-drive-for-autoplay/e5ad6acc-dbef-48c9-a40e-290cc7526927
  7. Autorun & Autoplay

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Autorun & Autoplay: Sometimes, when I connect USB peripherals to my computer keyboards and mice, a utility management software installer for that peripheral is launched. For example razer peripherals sometimes launch synapse installer. Two questions: 1Does windows download these utilities...
  8. autorun of specific executable on usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    autorun of specific executable on usb flash drive: In windows 7, there is a checkbox i can click so windows will remember to launch a specific executable on a usb flash drive. but it seems in windows 10 this feature has disappeared. Can someone enlighten me so i get the same feature in Windows 10? This is very helpful for...
  9. USB flash drive autorun an app

USB flash drive autorun an app: I have written an app to teach a blind child braille alphabet. The .exe file is on a flash drive along with support files. and runs the program when selected. I would like to make it so a blind child can use it because they can't see to select the .exe application. It would...
  10. Disabling Autoplay/Autorun

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Disabling Autoplay/Autorun: I am doing myself a system security audit and I would like to clear some confusion on the differences between the Autoplay settings in the Windows 10 Control Panel and the settings that are on the Group Policy Editor. If I Disable Autoplay within the actual Windows 10...