Windows 10: Enabled Encryption on Windows 10 Pro (HP machine) now it will not boot

Discus and support Enabled Encryption on Windows 10 Pro (HP machine) now it will not boot in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I just enabled Device Encryption and my laptop had to reboot. Now it will not allow me to log in. It keeps asking for the Recovery Key, which I keep... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by KimFitzgerald, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Enabled Encryption on Windows 10 Pro (HP machine) now it will not boot

I just enabled Device Encryption and my laptop had to reboot. Now it will not allow me to log in. It keeps asking for the Recovery Key, which I keep entering, then it give me a message "STOP CODE" screen with a frowning face and says it has to restarts. After it restarts I am prompted to re-enter the Recovery Key, when I do I get a message "Failed to boot with this Recovery Key". I have the printed recovery key and identifier and I know the entries are correct but I cannot get into my laptop. This is critical as I am self employed and need my laptop to be encrypted. Please help!

:)

KimFitzgerald, Feb 11, 2019

2. Not Able to Enable Hardware Based Bitlocker Encryption On Surface Pro 4 (Windows 10 Pro)

Ok, I have a feeling that this is a larger Windows 10 issue, but I am experiencing this with the Surface Pro 4, the ideal test hardware for anything Microsoft, right? Enabled Encryption on Windows 10 Pro (HP machine) now it will not boot :)

Here is what we are trying to accomplish:

Encrypt our Surface Pro 4's (win 10 Pro) using Hardware-Based Encryption

Why?

A) Because it is faster for the SSD to perform the encryption rather than the process, since the SSD is already encrypted

B) Better battery life (because the processor is not encrypting the volume)

C) Performing software encryption on an already encrypted volume defeats many of the internal optimizations that SSDs have built in (leading to slower performance)

How?

We have taken stock Surface Pro 4s, straight from the box. No applications or updates have been installed, we have not added to a domain. The only modification we have made is to the Local Group Policy:

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Bitlocker Drive Encryption/Operating System Drives

*Require additional authentication at startup (Enabled, default options)

*Enable use of BitLocker Aauthentication requireing preboot keyboard input on slates (Enabled, default options)

*Configure use of hardware-based encryption for operating system drives (Enabled, default options)

What's Wrong:

When I go to enable Bitlocker, I am being provided the prompt to encrypt Used Only, or Whole Drive. From all of the literature I have read, this prompt indicates Software Encryption. When I select Full Drive, it takes a while (over 10 minutes) to encrypt.
    Again, from my reading, Hardware

Encryption should be immediate (as everything is already encrypted).

Question:

What am I missing? Is there an issue with Hardware Encryption that I have not been able to identify on the Surface Pro 4? Is this an OS issue? Are there any other troubleshooting steps that I can take a look at? Again, these are stock units, fresh out of
    the box from Microsoft.

Sources (these are just some, all have been verified using additional sources that repeat the information):

Slower Performance- Hardware Accelerated BitLocker Encryption: Microsoft Windows 8 eDrive Investigated with Crucial M500

Hardware Accelerated BitLocker Encryption: Microsoft Windows 8 eDrive Investigated with Crucial M500

Steps to enable encryption- How to Enable BitLocker Hardware Encryption with SSDs

https://helgeklein.com/blog/2015/01/how-to-enable-bitlocker-hardware-encryption-with-ssd/

Technet on Why to Hardware Encrypt - Encrypted Hard Drive

Encrypted Hard Drive

GP Settings to Enable Hardware Encryption - Enabling Hardware Acceleration of BitLocker

Site Unavailable

Tags Bitlocker, Encryption, Windows 10 Pro, Hardware Encryption, 1511

PhillyPhotogMagee, Feb 11, 2019
  3. Boot errors on BitLocker enabled machine

Our company runs Windows 10 machines in a domain environment, and we have had a couple of machines that had boot errors, and would not start up. BitLocker would not allow startup repair from the Windows Installation disc to fix any boot errors, or to select
    a Recovery Point. We ended up having to re-image the machines in order to get them going again. Is there a better way to fix boot errors on a Windows 10 machine that is encrypted with BitLocker?

stratmajik, Feb 11, 2019
  4. Enabled Encryption on Windows 10 Pro (HP machine) now it will not boot

Device Encryption

same option i seen in hp all in pro g400 , which is running 10 home , two weeks i installed home 1803 edition .

i gchecked the bios on the machine , device encryption is enabled by default in bios .

Is your laptop or desktop from HP

RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

Enabled Encryption on Windows 10 Pro (HP machine) now it will not boot

1. Enabled Encryption on Windows 10 Pro (HP machine) now it will not boot - Similar Threads - Enabled Encryption Pro

2. How to reimage machine with Windows Boot Manager enabled?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reimage machine with Windows Boot Manager enabled?: I was notified by a user that they could not get into their device as it was previously used and managed by another technician that worked in a separate department. It was not connected to our Azure Active Directory to use any other accounts to log in and we tried using a...
  3. Encryption enabled. Now what?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encryption enabled. Now what?: My original Windows 11 laptop setup had encryption enabled, but when a tech turned off encryption and then replaced the mother board due to a microphone issue, encryption went missing. Manufacturer inexplicably replaced the hard drive as the answer of course not, and I just...
  4. Encryption enabled. Now what?

Encryption enabled. Now what?: My original Windows 11 laptop setup had encryption enabled, but when a tech turned off encryption and then replaced the mother board due to a microphone issue, encryption went missing. Manufacturer inexplicably replaced the hard drive as the answer of course not, and I just...
  5. Enabling Bitlocker Hardware Encryption with Windows 10 Pro & Samsung 980 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabling Bitlocker Hardware Encryption with Windows 10 Pro & Samsung 980 Pro: I've spent countless hours trying to enable hardware encryption when turning on Bitlocker on my Windows 10 Pro operating system drive: A Samsung 980 Pro. I've read everything I can find on the internet on this topic. I'm hoping someone here can help me get over the finishing...
  6. Enabling Bitlocker Hardware Encryption with Windows 10 Pro & Samsung 980 Pro

Enabling Bitlocker Hardware Encryption with Windows 10 Pro & Samsung 980 Pro: I've spent countless hours trying to enable hardware encryption when turning on Bitlocker on my Windows 10 Pro operating system drive: A Samsung 980 Pro. I've read everything I can find on the internet on this topic. I'm hoping someone here can help me get over the finishing...
  7. Enabling Bitlocker Hardware Encryption with Windows 10 Pro & Samsung 980 Pro

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Hp drive encryption on boot up

Hp drive encryption on boot up: Hi All, This is my first post. I am seeing help with a Windows 10 Pro EliteBook Folio with a HP Security Drive Encryption on Boot Up. It is asking for a Password that we do not have, or no one remembers. How to I disable this . I would wish to uninstall it once I could get...
  9. Windows 10 BitLocker Drive Encryption AND Device Encryption enabled?

Windows 10 BitLocker Drive Encryption AND Device Encryption enabled?: Recently I looked into enabling "BitLocker Drive Encryption" on Windows 10 Pro. After enabling it, I discovered that "Device Encryption" under Settings -> Update and Security -> Device Encryption was already enabled. This is a new Lenovo laptop from 12/2020, bought from...
  10. This machine is disabled for encryption (Windows 10 Pro)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    This machine is disabled for encryption (Windows 10 Pro): Hi All, I am trying to use Encrypted File System to encrypt files on local hard drive of a Windows 10 Pro system. However, while applying the Encryption, the system shows a message indicating that EFS is disabled on the system. I already tried all types of settings as...