Windows 10: enabled raid, now cannot boot

Discus and support enabled raid, now cannot boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Had a working system, windows 10 Pro 64 bit running off a samsung 950GB SSD., with a couple of other hard drives. I wanted to add a RAID 1 pair of HDDs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by deeleys, Dec 29, 2017.

1. deeleys Win User

enabled raid, now cannot boot

Had a working system, windows 10 Pro 64 bit running off a samsung 950GB SSD., with a couple of other hard drives. I wanted to add a RAID 1 pair of HDDs (WD Black). I made a system image of the SSD for safety, uncoupled the two regular HDDs, installed the 2x WD HDDs for the raid, went into the ASUS bios, enabled raid.
    Now I'm stuck. If I exit BIOS the machine just bounces back into it. The SSD won't boot. The system image won't install because it can't find a drive, despite the SSD being recognised in BIOS and the raid pair being set up correctly. I tied reversing the process and clearing the BIOS back to AHCI, but the SSD still won't boot and the system image won't install.

My guess is that the SSD's MBR has been overwritten to RAID but the drivers are missing and so Windows won't boot. Nor can the Windows 10 recovery disk find it to restore the system.

I'd welcome advice from the forum, but my thinking is that I need something which can edit the SDD windows 10 installation to add the raid drivers. I don;'t have a windows 10 disk because I upgraded from Windows 7. All help gratefully received.

:)

deeleys, Dec 29, 2017
  2. DAW GSR Win User

Windows 10 Registry Issue with RAID 5 System

I recently enabled Driver Verifier in Windows 10 in an attempt to identify a driver believed was causing instability.
    It worked perfectly. Now the system BSODs at the same driver every time it boots. My system appears to be fine, except that I am unable to boot the system to a state that allows me to disable driver verifier or delete the offending driver.
    I believe this is due to my AMD RAID 5 configuration.

In the old days, I would have booted the system in SAFE MODE, cleared the Verified settings and/or deleted the driver and not lost a week of my life. Microsoft apparently found booting into SAFE MODE was useful and eliminated it in Windows 10 - unless
    you know in advance your system is GOING to crash and enable it before you shut down. Genius, but I digress.

I have tried all of the documented tips for fixing this. Booting into the repair facility on the installation media does not work. Because the RAID drivers are not loaded, I cannot access restore points, I cannot use a recovery disk, and I cannot repair
    the drive. I REFUSE to reinstall. In short,

How do I boot my Win 10 system to safe mode or some facsimile where I can load the RAID drivers, access my drive partitions, and either clear the Verifier settings (I know where they are in the registry) and/or delete the offending driver?

DAW GSR, Dec 29, 2017
  3. M Gowen Win User
    Hard Disk Drive (HDD) seen as Solid State Drive in Optimize Drives

My issue is the same. Two internal HDDs set in Raid 0. Not my boot drive and Win 8 happily saw this as a HDD. However having upgraded to Win10, now see it as SSD, so cannot defrag it. Perhaps the speed of my Raid is fooling it. Have checked Intel RST driver
    installed but no change. Disk Management shows no issues.

M Gowen, Dec 29, 2017
  4. enabled raid, now cannot boot

Hi deeleys. Welcome to the TenForums @deeleys

I'm afraid I can't help you on injecting a driver but still wanted to provide some info.

I'm just in the process of building a Asus system and the instructions were fresh on my mine. I would head to Asus and get your manual and read, yours may be different.

In my BIOS it also instructs you to disable to disable CSM after you enable RAID. Not sure if this will help but I also saw it in a google search when I looked into your issue.

You may just find a clean install is the fastest way back. If so you can download the latest the latest version of Win 10 at

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows10

MS knows your machine and will re-activate the license. If it doesn't like the hardware changes we have a tutorial on activation, disk changes shouldn't be an issue.

In your Asus manual it discusses adding the Raid driver as you load Windows.

I'm sure other members will have different solutions so it may well be worth waiting. At least you can get Win 10 which you should have anyway.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 29, 2017
Thema:

enabled raid, now cannot boot

1. enabled raid, now cannot boot - Similar Threads - enabled raid cannot

2. Cannot Enable Secure Boot On Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Enable Secure Boot On Windows 11: I'm trying to enable secure boot for Valorant. However, whenever I do try to enable it Secure boot on, standard mode and apply the updates, I just get a black screen that lasts for hours. The only way I'm able to get back into my PC is by unplugging my ssd, disabling secure...
  3. Windows 11 doesn't boot after enabling RAID on BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 doesn't boot after enabling RAID on BIOS: I have a new system that came with a single M.2 drive. I installed Windows 11 on it - everything was working fine. I figured I'd install Office and all of my other apps and only later move the drives from my old system to the new one.After a couple of days, when the OS was...
  4. Windows 11 doesn't boot after enabling RAID on BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 doesn't boot after enabling RAID on BIOS: I have a new system that came with a single M.2 drive. I installed Windows 11 on it - everything was working fine. I figured I'd install Office and all of my other apps and only later move the drives from my old system to the new one.After a couple of days, when the OS was...
  5. cannot enable secure boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot enable secure boot: I cannot enable secure boot, motherboard is asus rog maximus x hero, intel i7 9700k 32gb ddr4. i enter bios and follow instructions to enable secure boot, save and exit but still get message. this pc is currently not able to install windows 11, and says i need secure boot....
  6. cannot enable secure boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot enable secure boot: I cannot enable secure boot, motherboard is asus rog maximus x hero, intel i7 9700k 32gb ddr4. i enter bios and follow instructions to enable secure boot, save and exit but still get message. this pc is currently not able to install windows 11, and says i need secure boot....
  7. cannot enable secure boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Raid boot drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Raid boot drive.: I have 2 120gb ssds in my PC. They are from different brands. Is there a way I can somehow combine both of them into a raid that makes them operate as 1 drive, then make it my windows boot drive?...
  9. Tried to enable BitLocker, now can't boot

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Tried to enable BitLocker, now can't boot: I got a new Windows 10 1909 PC recently. Just decided to enable BitLocker on the system volume. BitLocker asked me if I wanted to perform a pre-BitLocker check (I can't remember the exact verbiage it used), and I responded in the affirmative. The BitLocker wizard prompted me...
  10. Loading RAID card on boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Loading RAID card on boot: I installed a third party RAID controller card in Dell Inspiron desktop. When booting, an independant bios-type setup screen is supposed to load before windows in order to set up the RAID disks controlled. However, this setup screen never shows up, and boot goes straight to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. XMG clevo p870dmg boot failure