Windows 10: Enabling 3d display mode crashed video driver. Restarting video driver enabled 3d mode,...

Discus and support Enabling 3d display mode crashed video driver. Restarting video driver enabled 3d mode,... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; @Microsoft / @support -- I am writing this complaint and solution to help others, but also to inform MS of a major problem with a basic Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by dostatochno, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Enabling 3d display mode crashed video driver. Restarting video driver enabled 3d mode,...

@Microsoft / @support -- I am writing this complaint and solution to help others, but also to inform MS of a major problem with a basic Windows setting that was fairly difficult to fix. If someone can help make sure that the correct eyes at Microsoft see this, that would be excellent. Please forgive my unfamiliarity with syntax and which handles would be appropriate for getting the correct attention in these forums. I'm posting this as a question in a further effort to get the correct eyes on it, but I have a working, but suboptimal solution at the bottom of this post.

Dear Microsoft:
    If the 3d display mode option is set to on in an unsupported display resolution, Windows should revert it to off or shouldn't attempt to actually enable it in said unsupported resolution. If the option exists for any connected device, Windows should let you turn it off, even when that connected device isn't currently being used as a display. The option to choose several settings changed before those settings are actually applied was a useful one and the current situation where settings are display settings are changed the instant they're clicked isn't good or helpful. Additionally, there is a serious problem with inadequate control and Windows being dimwitted about display resolutions, often picking suboptimal refresh rates or opting to scale the display rather than actually change the display resolution. Basically, whoever is most responsible for the display settings window should be given less responsibility and someone better at that job should be put in place to clean up that horrific train wreck.

The problem at hand:
    I accidentally clicked the 3d display mode toggle button in the display settings window while my 3dtv was set to a resolution that Windows considers unsupported for 3d. Instead of simply reporting to me that the display mode wasn't compatible, or reverting the option to 'off,' the system cycled display modes a number of times before stopping the driver for my video card.

Once the video card driver was stopped, windows reverted to its default video driver which would not allow any change to the display resolution and did not allow disabling the "3d display mode" option. Restarting the video driver by disabling, then re-enabling the video card in device manager resulted in the computer immediately cycling display modes again and stopping the video driver again. There was no way to interact with the display settings windows during the brief period the video driver was running. Restarting the computer was obviously no help, The problematic setting was set and Windows was not going to unset it.

Switching to a non-3D display allowed the video driver to be started and remain active, but as soon as the 3dtv was selected as a display, the computer attempted to go to 3d display mode at the unsupported resolution again and failed in the same manner.

I tried completely uninstalling & reinstalling the video card's drivers and uninstalling&disconnecting display devices. I tried to find any way to change the 3d display mode setting manually e.g. in regedit
    I tried doing a system restore system restore failed for no apparent reason despite trying multiple restore points, perhaps due to a recent Windows feature update that didn't save a restore point after completing.

**NOTE: Don't delete or change registry entries unless you know exactly what you are doing or are prepared to lose everything and do a clean install of Windows**
    I tried deleting anything pertaining to the video display mode settings in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GraphicsDrivers \Configuration in particular

Nothing worked to clear the 3d display mode setting and each time I set windows to use the 3dtv as a display, it tried to revert to the incompatible mode and stopped the video driver.

The solution:

**NOTE: Don't delete or change registry entries unless you know exactly what you are doing or are prepared to lose everything and do a clean install of Windows**
    Ultimately, the only thing I was able to do that worked, was to copy display mode settings in the above registry key from a different display set at a different resolution one that supported 3d display mode on the 3dtv to overwrite the appropriate registry values for the 3dtv. It may be difficult to ascertain which are the correct registry keys to use if you've had a number of displays and display modes set up on your PC and haven't already cleared out the Configuration key out of desperation. This also relies on you having another available display device that features a resolution that is both a Windows-supported 3d resolution on the 3d display device and has sufficiently similar specific settings e.g. stride, video standard, Hsyncfreq.Num/Denom, pixelformat, pixelrate for the edited display mode to function correctly on the 3d display.
    Once this was done, the computer was restarted, the 3d mode enabled correctly and I was then able to disable the 3d setting, and choose my preferred resolution again.

:)

dostatochno, Oct 23, 2020
  2. Krobaruk Win User

Windows 2004 Update Breaks 3D Display Behaviour

I am using the following hardware:

Intel I3-8300S / Intel 620 Graphics

Samsung 3D TV connected to a passive Displayport to HDMI converter (Ie. No LSPCON)

Before the 2004 update I had "3D display mode" switched on and it worked perfectly. The desktop and normal apps would just use 2D mode and 3D enabled applications would cause the TV to switch to 3D mode and you could then put on the active 3D glasses.

After the 2004 update the behaviour is problematic. Enabling 3D display mode immediately causes the TV to switch to 3D mode all of the time and I cannot get it to go to 2D mode as it is being signalled to use 3D over HDMI all of the time. It is far too bright
    and colours are completely wrong if not using 3D glasses but like most people I only want 3D mode when using for example a 3D video.

With the older Windows 10 version which worked properly I was using Intel DCH Driver 27.20.100.8476. I also tried the newest stable driver (27.20.100.8587) and the newest beta (27.20.100.8673) with the 2004 update but the behaviour was exactly the same.

How can I fix 3D behaviour in version 2004?

Krobaruk, Oct 23, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    3D mode option missing in Display settings after update

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the following details:

• Which 3D mode option in Display setting are you referring?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Which update was installed on the computer? To check go to
      Settings >> Update & Security >> Windows Update >> View update history.
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? To check type:
      winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit
      Enter.

The 3D mode option depends on the Graphics driver that you are using. You may try updating the Graphics driver and check if you are able to watch 3D movies and get the option.

Please refer the steps mentioned below to update Graphics drivers:

1. Press Windows key + X, and select
      Device Manager.
    2. Expand Display adapters.
    3. Right click on the display driver and select
      Update Drivers.

4. Restart the computer if prompted.

Article for reference:
    Update drivers in Windows 10

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 23, 2020
  4. Enabling 3d display mode crashed video driver. Restarting video driver enabled 3d mode,...

nvidia 3d enabled

Hi Tony,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is highly appreciated.

I understand that every time you start the Computer 3D is enabled.
    I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you and
    I will be happy to assist you with this.

I would suggest you to install the latest Graphic card drivers from manufacturer website in Compatibility Mode.

Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows.

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on
    ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
    ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows (Previous operating system) operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue
    persists.

Please refer the suggestions given by
    Andre De Costa
    on “How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10 “in the below article and check if that helps:

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Please let us know, if you need any further help and we would be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Vijaya Kumari 1, Oct 23, 2020
Thema:

Enabling 3d display mode crashed video driver. Restarting video driver enabled 3d mode,...

1. Enabling 3d display mode crashed video driver. Restarting video driver enabled 3d mode,... - Similar Threads - Enabling display mode

2. 3D Display Mode Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3D Display Mode Issue: For context, I have a laptop Windows 11 that is connected to two monitors. Recently, I enabled the 3D display mode and ever since, all three screens turn black and my laptop crashes. I have tried updating the drivers with no avail. I have also tried resetting my laptop as...
  3. 3D Display Mode Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3D Display Mode Issue: For context, I have a laptop Windows 11 that is connected to two monitors. Recently, I enabled the 3D display mode and ever since, all three screens turn black and my laptop crashes. I have tried updating the drivers with no avail. I have also tried resetting my laptop as...
  4. Enabling 3d display mode crashed video driver. Restarting video driver enabled 3d mode,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabling 3d display mode crashed video driver. Restarting video driver enabled 3d mode,...: I toggled the 3d switch in Multiple display after connected to external monitor. After this the external monitor is blacked out. I an unable to find this toggle switch anymore. Please help...
  5. Enabling 3d display mode crashed video driver. Restarting video driver enabled 3d mode,...

Enabling 3d display mode crashed video driver. Restarting video driver enabled 3d mode,...: I toggled the 3d switch in Multiple display after connected to external monitor. After this the external monitor is blacked out. I an unable to find this toggle switch anymore. Please help...
  6. Enable Audio Drivers in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable Audio Drivers in Safe Mode: Hello,I'm currently trying to figure out why there are audio pops on my PC. I want to try them when there's minimal amount of other drivers. However Windows 11 does not seem to offer this possibility? I've tried adding audio drivers to Registry into SafeBoot Minimal, but they...
  7. Enable Audio Drivers in Safe Mode

Enable Audio Drivers in Safe Mode: Hello,I'm currently trying to figure out why there are audio pops on my PC. I want to try them when there's minimal amount of other drivers. However Windows 11 does not seem to offer this possibility? I've tried adding audio drivers to Registry into SafeBoot Minimal, but they...
  8. 3D display mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    3D display mode: i was curious about 3d mode when i saw it. i turned it on and now my screen went dark. bios still works but i cant see anything outside of the bios. how am i supposed to turn it off if i cant see anything. this seriously needs to be fixed. please help me....
  9. 3d mode?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    3d mode?: I just clicked 3d mode on my new Dell thinking it would work with my 3d capable monitor, and now it continues to say "out of range". Did I fuck myself? Can I get back to normal display without having my screen? I reset my pc after just to make this more fun lol. Pls help, I...
  10. I selected 3D display mode and now my video driver keeps crashing. How can I turn off 3D...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I selected 3D display mode and now my video driver keeps crashing. How can I turn off 3D...: I was changing my display settings and saw that option. When I checked it, it disabled my second monitor and the option for 3D display mode disappeared. My video driver is now giving me trouble and now, no matter what I do, I can’t get both monitors to work at the same time....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. screwed up display after activatibg 3D