Windows 10: Enabling a Linux host (centOS) to have full rights to a Windows 10 system

Discus and support Enabling a Linux host (centOS) to have full rights to a Windows 10 system in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm trying to help someone solve this and my web searches so far haven't yielded a definitive solution, so thanks in advance Reddit! I'm not in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ButtercupsUncle, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Enabling a Linux host (centOS) to have full rights to a Windows 10 system

I'm trying to help someone solve this and my web searches so far haven't yielded a definitive solution, so thanks in advance Reddit!

I'm not in control of the Linux side but I have admin rights to the Win10 box. I've read a bit on SMB/CIFS and what I'm calling "WinSMB" to refer to the Windows component that relates to SMB v1,2,3. I still don't have it down so any education you care to provide will be appreciated. The crux of the problem is that the Linux host is supposed to drop files into a share on the Win10 box and is getting an error when trying to mount the share.

mount error(112): Host is down Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

The mount command being used...

mount.cifs //Win10IP/Win10SharePath /opt/LinuxDirectory -o credentials=/credentials/creds

The path to credentials has been simplified but it's just a path and it's known good. The creds file reportedly contains the user/pass info for the account on the Win10 box. I have verified that the account exists on Win10 and reset the password to match what was reported to me. I confirmed that File Sharing is enabled, the user has full permissions to the share (including NTFS permissions to the folder though the share permissions probably take care of the access requirement) and that the user can access that share with those credentials from another Win10 box on the same LAN. AFAIK, all devices are on the same LAN.

I'm told that this was also tried with the Win10 Firewall and antivirus disabled. Same results.

Any ideas appreciated!

submitted by /u/ButtercupsUncle
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ButtercupsUncle, Dec 11, 2019

2. Can not detect windows 10 after installing centos 7

Hi Sachin,

Thank you for valuable response.

• What is the make and model of your system?
    I have no idea how to see that, & since i have only centos 7, it is not easy to find solution on it despite looking for google. Please let me know how to see that?..

still what i know is :

-Laptop model: Sony SVF15218

-Processor : Intel Core i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80 GHz x 4

-OS type : 64-bit OS(Both Centos 7 & Win 10)

-Graphics : Intel Ivybrigde Mobile & NVIDIA GT740M

-HDD : 500 GB

-RAM : 4 GB

• Since when are you using the dual boot?
    -I had windows 10 as as a single for almost 2 years. For study purpose i had to install linux (near suited to Red hate), i choose Centos 7 as it is free.

-I installed Centos 7 on 2nd January 2016.

-At that time i get help from google & successfully dual-boot as windows 10 shows as windows boot manager & centos. (I can switch between them any time from grub menu.)

- Due to lack of wifi adapter in centos, while installing packages something went wrong & i had very limited access to centos, so reinstalled centos 7 around 15 days after successful dual-boot(18th Jan) (performed same steps to install as i did the first
    time) & since then my in the grub menu i can only see centos.

-I tried install centos 7 2-3 time after tha to see windows in grub menu, & i testes/altered almost everything in centos but found out that my windows is somehow not detected by grub.

• Did you check in msconfig regarding the boot menus, are you getting both the Windows and Linux Boot loader menus?
    - Since i am using linux i have no idea how to do in windows.

- But i played with centos's grub menu lot of time since missing windows bot manager in grub i am (99%) sure that there is something wrong with windows grub detection.

Hope i find solution soon...

Thank you...

Utsav D. H.Bhatt, Dec 11, 2019
  3. Can not detect windows 10 after installing centos 7

Sorry for the late reply as i am currently working on centos 7, i do not wish that it gets lost during windows recovery process.

• How many drives are you able to see in the Linux explorer?
    Yes, i can see 2 windows hard-disk partition Enabling a Linux host (centOS) to have full rights to a Windows 10 system :)c - 146 GB, :d -150GB) from linux & i can access both of them at any moment from linux.

• Do you have Windows 10 installation disc with you?
    I do not windows 8/8.1/10 dvd, but i backup dvd as 3 dvd that can restore my windows 8 (officially came when i purchased sony laptop) as when i want, bu the problem it takes 5-6 hours to install & since it will master reset my harddisk every-time i do. Doing
    so will definately remove my cent os.

The further problem is when win 8 it upgrade to 8.1, it will again reset grub menu & so does from 8.1 to 10. So, every-time i might/will have to repeat installation of either os. & that i definately do not want.

I hope this steps will not remove my current working os centos 7 in the process.

I will update here once i do the steps.

Utsav D. H.Bhatt, Dec 11, 2019
  4. Enabling a Linux host (centOS) to have full rights to a Windows 10 system

Valve: Linux More Viable Than Windows 8 for Gaming

Linux distros are far more versatile - CentOS is a common server OS built for stability - based on (if not I am wrong, Red Hat Enterprise)

Take f.ex. BackTrack - perfect for network security testing (firewall, intrusion etc.)

So my hope is that Valve got this thing right......a nother step in beeing Windows free....*Roll :roll:

VulkanBros, Dec 11, 2019
Thema:

Enabling a Linux host (centOS) to have full rights to a Windows 10 system

1. Enabling a Linux host (centOS) to have full rights to a Windows 10 system - Similar Threads - Enabling Linux host

2. VMWare - enabling 3D and HW acceleratio(Linux Hosts with Windows VM's

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMWare - enabling 3D and HW acceleratio(Linux Hosts with Windows VM's: Hi there clicking the 3D / hardware acceleration doesn't always work to get hardware acceleration and 3D to work on VM's with Linux hosts. A "get around" that usually works is to manually add this line to the .vmx (VMWare configuration file) : mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers...
  3. KVM Linux VPS Hosting

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    KVM Linux VPS Hosting: Is there any best KVM Linux VPS hosting providers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/kvm-linux-vps-hosting/d176f644-031c-4867-888f-1ad7a5a47130
  4. How to enable a hosted network on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to enable a hosted network on windows 10?: I'm trying to enable a hosted adhoc network on Windows 10. I used the powershell to create the hosted network but now I can not get it to enable. I use the command: netsh wlan start hostednetwork I get a resource unavailable error. What am I doing wrong?...
  5. Linux - quick way to repair file system (VM or host)

Linux - quick way to repair file system (VM or host): Hi there Anybody running various flavours of Linux out there whether as VM's or HOST - it seems to me that the most resilient file system is XFS. On the surprisingly very rare occasions if it breaks ( and when it did it was my fault --"User error" !!) it's easy enough to...
  6. enable windows script host

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    enable windows script host: Help me please, I cannot find how to enable windows script host. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/enable-windows-script-host/99c42619-8537-416c-86dc-e6f27449fa72
  7. Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM: Hi there I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host. However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to...
  8. vmwaare (12.0.1) Linux Host -W10 taskbar problem in Full screen mode

vmwaare (12.0.1) Linux Host -W10 taskbar problem in Full screen mode: Hi there running latest build as a VM on a Linux Host (VMware workstation v 12.01) the taskbar can't be accessed in FULL SCREEN mode if the taskbar is selected to be at the BOTTOM of the screen. It works fine if you have the taskbar positioned at the sides or the Top...
  9. W10 as GUEST on CENTOS Rel 7 HOST -- WORKS !!!!

W10 as GUEST on CENTOS Rel 7 HOST -- WORKS !!!!: deleted - updated in another thread 3451
  10. Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10: How to: Hyper-V VM - Install CentOS Linux in Windows 10 How to Install CentOS Linux on Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 [img] Note A working and quite nice alternative for dual booting is to install various operating systems on a virtual machine. CentOS is...