Windows 10: Enabling copying restore points from System Volume Information

Discus and support Enabling copying restore points from System Volume Information in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, After some manipulations, I gained entry to the "hidden" folder <System Volume Information> and granted access to all functions to both User and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by haku, Aug 5, 2019.

1. haku Win User

Enabling copying restore points from System Volume Information

Hi,

After some manipulations, I gained entry to the "hidden" folder <System Volume Information> and granted access to all functions to both User and Administrator (both me). No major problem there.

Purpose is to backup some restore points to a separate disk, so that I can still return to a much earlier point when Windows has deleted the restore points, usually not because the allocated space is full (I've given it ample space) but after a major update, like going from one build to the other (as from 1809 to 1903). As everyone has experienced by now, even when the update fails, all one's restore points are gone. Bravo Microsoft for yet another annoyance!

However, even with full access to said folder, it's simply impossible to copy any restore points, let alone paste them somewhere. When trying this, error popups say you need administrator rights to do so, while the administrator has duly been granted access to the folder.

How does one get rid of that umpteenth and grievous Microsoft annoyance?

Thanks for answering this.

:)

haku, Aug 5, 2019

2. System restore points are lost

Hi Tom,

Thanks you for posting your reply and update.

I suggest you to check if the Volume Shadow Copy service is running on your computer. This service enables System Restore on a computer. Refer the steps below to check the service.

• Press Windows + R Keys to open run command.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • In the services panel look for the ‘Volume Shadow Copy’.
    • Right click on the service and restart the service.
    • Also set the startup type to ‘Automatic’

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Aug 5, 2019
  3. System Volume Information folder and system restore

Seeing that the System Volume Information folder is heavily protected, you must have tried pretty hard to delete files from it. You should now run SystemPropertiesProtection.exe and disable System Protection, thus deleting all existing restore points. Next
    you re-enable System Protection and create a manual restore point.

The System Volume Information folder does not affect your desktop. Could it be that you modified things elsewhere too? Does the problem persist when logging on under a different account?

Frederik Long, Aug 5, 2019
  4. Enabling copying restore points from System Volume Information

System Volume Information contains redundant historical "System Volume Information" files using 80% of my disk

Hi,

There are different options available in the Windows 10 operating system that allow you to manage the disk drives on your computer. This includes formatting disk drives or cleaning up junk files.
    The system volume information folder contains the system restore point entries,
    data used by the content indexing service databases that speed up your file searches, the volume shadow copy service for backups, and the distributed link tracking service databases used to repair shortcuts and links.

Usually, it is not recommended to delete the entries from the System volume information since Windows needs this files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly attempt the steps below to shrink the size of the System Volume Information
    folder:

• Press the Windows key + x to open the Quick link menu and from the list select
      Control panel.
    • Select System and Security and then from the options presented choose
      System.
    • On the left had the panel of the System information window, select the option
      System protection.
    • Once you have the System properties window open, select the
      System protection tab and then click on the button labeled configure.
    • You can now control how much disk space Windows uses for System Restore points.

Once you complete the steps you can now attempt to delete the folder and check if this improves the storage space you have on the disk drives.

We look forward to your response once you complete the steps.

Jordan Dom, Aug 5, 2019
Thema:

Enabling copying restore points from System Volume Information

1. Enabling copying restore points from System Volume Information - Similar Threads - Enabling copying restore

2. System Restore Point- Enabling System Protection.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore Point- Enabling System Protection.: Hi, when I went to make a system restore point, with protection enabled, it showed a warning message exclamation mark inside a yellow triangle. The message said 'Using system protection on a drive that contains system image backups will cause other shadow copies to be deleted...
  3. Deleting Folder Containing Copy of System Volume Information

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting Folder Containing Copy of System Volume Information: How do I delete a folder containing a copy of a System Volume Information folder? I copied a entire volume F: to a folder F_Cakewalk_Projects on another volume H:. H: also contains the local OneDrive folder. I then tried to delete the copy. Everything was deleted except the...
  4. System Volume Information

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Volume Information: I make my backups in D drive and have turned the system protection off from the control panel. I backup using the windows 7 backup and restore from the control panel . The issue that whenever I do it the System Volume Info folder in the E drive starts filling automatically....
  5. Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points

Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points: I am noticing I cant find my Automatic Restore Points AND I cant find the Restore Points Windows creates after a Quality Update .. in the System Restore application. I just checked my Task Scheduler for Restore Points and the last task to create an Automatic Restore point...
  6. System Restore from Restore Point is stuck

System Restore from Restore Point is stuck: Started a system restore from system restore point this morning at 7:30 am. It is now 11:45 am and it is still running. I have done system restore from restore point in the past and it only took 20~30 minutes. What to do now?...
  7. Volume Shadow Services & System Restore Points

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Volume Shadow Services & System Restore Points: I notices that my "Volume Shadow Services"is set to "manual" mode. Is it suppose to be set to "automatic" mode? Could the fact that it it set to "manual" mode be the reason I'm loosing System Restore Points even though I have 95 GB of storage set aside for these SR points?...
  8. cannot copy system restore point file

cannot copy system restore point file: I need to make backup of system restore point, i followed some guide and i own folder even subfolders and file and still says i need permissions when i try to copy it and when i click ok nothing happens. When i applied permission it said some error, but i read it doesn't...
  9. System volume information

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    System volume information: A friend of mine put my pendrive into his pc, after inserting it into pc later I found a fold named system volume information, curiously I clicked on the file in the folder and there was a pop up like command prompt,then nothing happened. After a while all my desktop apps...
  10. Possible to open "Restore Point" files from "system volume information

Possible to open "Restore Point" files from "system volume information: Hello! I've a customer with a vista computer (i know, spare the flame:ing *Smile) it was infected with crypt0l0cker and after restoring it to a previous restore point it seems like the SAM hives or something broke down on it since i cant create new users and some services...