Windows 10: Enabling Cortana

Discus and support Enabling Cortana in Cortana to solve the problem; hi there, i disabled cortana when i installed my os and now i want to enable her. the cortana icon is still in the start menu and when i clink it it... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Miniyorkie, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Enabling Cortana

hi there, i disabled cortana when i installed my os and now i want to enable her. the cortana icon is still in the start menu and when i clink it it just takes me to the search bar

i have looked around and followed some pre-existing guides with no luck

i am running 10 pro and my version is 1809 build 17763.253

thanks

:)

Miniyorkie, Jan 12, 2019
  2. Dewdrop_ Win User

Cortana Notebook

In order to enable the Notebook icon in Cortana, I suggest you to check if you have enabled Cortana.

To enable Cortana, please follow the steps below:

• Go to Cortana.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Turn on “Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts”.

Hope this helps.

Dewdrop_, Jan 12, 2019
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Cortana

Hi,

A Windows service may be preventing you from enabling Cortana on your computer. Please answer a few things for us to know how we can deliver the best resolution to your concern:

• Do you get any errors when you switch on Cortana?
    • What suggestions have you tried?

See Sachin Venkatesh's suggestion on this
    page
    to enable Cortana on your computer.

Let us know if you're able to fix the problem after following the steps.

Come back if you need additional assistance.

Ruz San, Jan 12, 2019
  4. Tebe---01 Win User

Enabling Cortana

Enable Cortana in non-Cortana area

I have previously made an update with a solution to the problem, see below.

Update, problem solved:

I found this comment by chance on the Windows Central website for an article by Mauro Huculak on “How to use Cortana on Windows 10.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-cortana-windows-10

Once I had taped the “Search icon” (see below) the Cortana app magically appeared on the app list on my phone. Do one need to do this when enabling Cortana, or is this a bug? I usually, of old habit, go directly to Bing when searching
    so I might not have used the Search app since I began to enable Cortana.

“…Cortana isn't available only in the above countries and I'll explain myself (below I'm referring to my phone, but the PC steps are similar).

I live in Greece (not on the list). I've set the Country/Region to "Greece" and the Regional format to "Greek (Greece)". My phone language is in "English (US)" because I want to. Of coerce, Cortana was hidden for me.

To enable her I had to tap on Search icon and then tap Settings. At the top it says "Cortana language" and I selected "English (US)". I got a warning saying that Cortana's language and my region's language are different and I
    just tapped on "Yes". That's it. After a while I had Cortana's icon in my app list. Same steps for PC.

I found that by chance. So, give it a try.”

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-cortana-windows-10#comments

Tebe---01, Jan 12, 2019
Thema:

Enabling Cortana

1. Enabling Cortana - Similar Threads - Enabling Cortana

2. Can't enable "Hey Cortana"

in Cortana
    Can't enable "Hey Cortana": Hello, I want to enable "Hey Cortana". When I go to the setting and click 1. Check Microphone - It opens up the Cortana search window [IMG] 2. I try to turn on the Hey Cortana - toggle, it toggles back to off. 3. I tried to Troubleshoot the microphone and it didn't...
  3. Cortana enabled webcams

in Cortana
    Cortana enabled webcams: What would be some inexpensive Cortana enabled webcams? My Logitech's HD 720 microphone is not, apparently. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-enabled-webcams/c5b1fc7c-bd4e-4a6a-8538-dfdb78b9b5d9"
  4. Enable Hey Cortana via registry, powershell or cmd? Windows 10 v1703

in Cortana
    Enable Hey Cortana via registry, powershell or cmd? Windows 10 v1703: Is there a way to enable the "Hey Cortana" always listening voice activation option through a powershell command or registry command or even just on the command line? Trying to automate restoring Cortana through GPO after it had been disabled by GPO (corporate decisions). I...
  5. How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?)

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?): I now find, to my great surprise, that I can't type in the Search field at bottom left. The cursor will go there but nothing will happen to it when I start typing. This is amazing. This computer. Endless problems. I have two computer each with win10 and each installed at...
  6. Xbox Now Connects with Cortana and Alexa Enabled Devices

in Windows 10 News
    Xbox Now Connects with Cortana and Alexa Enabled Devices: Here at Team Xbox, we’ve had a long history in offering voice controls as a way to interact with your Xbox console through Kinect and headsets. Today, starting with select Xbox U.S. Insiders, we’re expanding voice support by introducing the Xbox Skill, which enables you to...
  7. How to re-enable Cortana after disabling with .bak method?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to re-enable Cortana after disabling with .bak method?: I'm on the Windows 10 Anniversary Update version and a while back I disabled Cortana completely with this method: Can I completely disable Cortana on Windows 10? - Super User Now I want to re-enable it again, how would I go about that? I checked the SystemApps folder...
  8. Disabled Cortana, now cannot re-enable her.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabled Cortana, now cannot re-enable her.: I disabled Cortana and Telemetry a couple weeks ago, but now I want to reverse my actions. Here's what I did initially: Code: In regedit - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Search I created a new DWORD and named it AllowCortana, and...
  9. How do I re-enable Cortana?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I re-enable Cortana?: I have disabled and renamed the folder of cortana, knowing not what I was doing and now I can't use the search function. I really need this for what I do. I thought I could close Cortana without getting rid of the search function, but I guess it did. *cry Now, I don't know...
  10. Re-enabling local file search in taskbar with Cortana disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Re-enabling local file search in taskbar with Cortana disabled: Hello! If I disable websearch in the taskbar by setting the key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search\ConnectedSearchUseWeb to 0 and/or I disable Cortana completely either by setting the key...