Windows 10: Enabling Inheritances

Discus and support Enabling Inheritances in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just recently bought a new laptop, and put the hard drive from the old laptop into a USB housing apparatus can't think of the exact name for it, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by UncleArn, May 30, 2020.

1. UncleArn Win User

Enabling Inheritances

I just recently bought a new laptop, and put the hard drive from the old laptop into a USB housing apparatus can't think of the exact name for it, and hooked it to a USB port. I can see most of the files that are on the drive, but a lot of files cannot be seen. So I found on Microsoft's website to "enable inheritances".

Most of the files that I couldn't see are now seen. While others, permissions were NOT granted. Why? What causes this to happen? Is there something I can do to reclaim these files:?

Thanks for any advice.

:)

UncleArn, May 30, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Inherit permission from the parent folder in Windows Server 2012R2

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want the child folder to inherit the permissions from the parent folder. You can try the following steps and check if that helps:

1. Right click on the folder to which you want to provide permission.
    2. Click on Security tab.
    3. Click on Advanced.
    4. Click on Enable Inheritance and.
    5. Click on Apply and OK.

If that doesn’t help, as you are using Windows Server 2012R2, I would suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet forums, where we have support professionals who
    are well equipped with the knowledge on Windows Server.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 30, 2020
  3. Aaron_Sum Win User
    sharing files over local network some subfolders gives access error

Hi,

In order to get clarity and assist you with appropriate steps, Could you please confirm if there any major change on your system prior to which you did not face this issue?

This issue usually occurs when the folder is shared, but the inheritance is not enabled. I would suggest you to check by enabling the inheritance for the folder containing the subfolders which you are not able to access and see
    if this issue still persists. Please follow the steps below and check if it works for you.

Steps to Enable Inheritance:

1. Right-click on the folder that you are sharing over the Network.
    2. Click on Properties
      at the bottom of the context menu.
    3. Click the Security tab, click
      Advanced, and then click the Permissions tab, select the user and check if the Inheritance is enabled at the bottom left corner of that window. If not, click on
      Enable Inheritance (Note: If the Inheritance is already enabled, you will find a button in the same place that says ‘Disable Inheritance’).
    4. Click Apply and then click
      OK.

We await your response.

Aaron Summith

Aaron_Sum, May 30, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Enabling Inheritances

Unable to access files on desktop

Hi,

Please reply with the details to help you further:

• Is the computer connected to any organization’s domain network?

I suggest you to try enabling Inheritance for that particular folder and check if you are able to access the files. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open the file location and right click on the folder.
    2. Click on Properties
      at the bottom of the context menu.
    3. Click the Security tab, and click on
      Advanced. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    4. Check if Inheritance is disabled; if it is disabled, please Enable it.
    5. Now, click on Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from the object.
    6. Click Apply and then click
      OK.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Nikhar_K, May 30, 2020
Thema:

Enabling Inheritances

1. Enabling Inheritances - Similar Threads - Enabling Inheritances

2. How to fix disabled troubleshooting in Windows 10 - when it is actually enabled in Group...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix disabled troubleshooting in Windows 10 - when it is actually enabled in Group...: Hello all...For a long time in my Windows 10 22H2 version, my troubleshooting capabilities were missing or disabled. I even downloaded and installed the Group Policy Editor which was missing prior-hand. I then enabled the troubleshooting options in Group Policy Editor, but...
  3. How to fix disabled troubleshooting in Windows 10 - when it is actually enabled in Group...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to fix disabled troubleshooting in Windows 10 - when it is actually enabled in Group...: Hello all...For a long time in my Windows 10 22H2 version, my troubleshooting capabilities were missing or disabled. I even downloaded and installed the Group Policy Editor which was missing prior-hand. I then enabled the troubleshooting options in Group Policy Editor, but...
  4. Can't "Enable inheritance" on 'restricted' "System Folders".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't "Enable inheritance" on 'restricted' "System Folders".: I'm the only user of my brand-new Dell Latitude 7430; I hope you won't need to see my passport, birth-certificate, confirmation text-code and reference from a previous employer to trust me on that. I want to access every single teeny-weeny oopsie-poopsie folder on this...
  5. Can't "Enable inheritance" on 'restricted' "System Folders".

Can't "Enable inheritance" on 'restricted' "System Folders".: I'm the only user of my brand-new Dell Latitude 7430; I hope you won't need to see my passport, birth-certificate, confirmation text-code and reference from a previous employer to trust me on that. I want to access every single teeny-weeny oopsie-poopsie folder on this...
  6. DisableStoreApps Enabled is inherited from Local Policy when it is explicitly set to Disabled

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    DisableStoreApps Enabled is inherited from Local Policy when it is explicitly set to Disabled: Greeting! I turn to the community because my IT department cannot find any solution and their only proposal is re-imaging my laptop. Which is frustrating on several levels. This might be a good challenge for the community, I have combed the internet and I cannot find any...
  7. DisableStoreApps Enabled is inherited from Local Policy when it is explicitly set to Disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DisableStoreApps Enabled is inherited from Local Policy when it is explicitly set to Disabled: Greeting! I turn to the community because my IT department cannot find any solution and their only proposal is re-imaging my laptop. Which is frustrating on several levels. This might be a good challenge for the community, I have combed the internet and I cannot find any...
  8. DisableStoreApps Enabled is inherited from Local Policy when it is explicitly set to Disabled

9. Can't Enable Inheritance by Folder, Only by Individual File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Enable Inheritance by Folder, Only by Individual File: I have document files, Word and PDF from 2008-2014 on my Windows 10 Desktop. I also have more recent documents, but I have no problem opening them. I cannot open the older files/folders because I don't have permissions. I can't enable inheritance by folder, only by...
  10. Enable or Disable Inherited Permissions for Objects in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Inherited Permissions for Objects in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Inherited Permissions for Objects in Windows Enable or Disable Inherited Permissions for Files and Folders in Windows [img] Information On ReFS volumes, you can set security permissions on files and folders. These permissions grant or deny...