Windows 10: Enabling Insider to get WSL2

Discus and support Enabling Insider to get WSL2 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just got a new laptop, and when I try to enable Insider builds, the Settings app loops on the "Register" flow. I know my account is already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rod Fitzsimmons Frey, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Enabling Insider to get WSL2

I just got a new laptop, and when I try to enable Insider builds, the Settings app loops on the "Register" flow. I know my account is already registered for Insider as I have Insider builds on my desktop computer. Furthermore when I log into my account on the web it says I have Insider enabled.

I am confident that my laptop is signed into the same Microsoft account that I have already used to install Insider builds.

The flow is that I get this screen:

Enabling Insider to get WSL2 873b8d15-57d0-44f1-83fe-54faf45d6ce5?upload=true.jpg

I click Register, agree to the terms and submit, then it tells me I've registered:

Enabling Insider to get WSL2 9eabb1d4-d5ec-4cec-a36f-1895943f68c0?upload=true.jpg

Then I click Close, I see a message saying "This won't take long"... and then it returns me to the first image asking me to register. The registration is apparently failing at some point maybe because I'm already registered? but not handling the error.

Not sure where to go from here, anybody seen anything like this?

Thanks,
    Rod

:)

Rod Fitzsimmons Frey, Jan 13, 2021
  2. Flaviu2 Win User

WSL2 for windows

I have failed into installing WSL for Windows. I have read here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win.../install-win10 how to do it, and at step 4:

1. Download the latest package:
      [COLOR=var(--text)][COLOR=var(--info-dark)] Note[/COLOR]
      If you're using an ARM64 machine, please download the ARM64 package instead. If you're not sure what kind of machine you have, open Command Prompt or PowerShell and enter: systeminfo | find "System Type".
      [/COLOR]
    2. Run the update package downloaded in the previous step. (Double-click to run - you will be prompted for elevated permissions, select ‘yes’ to approve this installation.)

I encountered:

Enabling Insider to get WSL2 [​IMG]

and

What I did wrong ? I have the following W10 version:

Another question: am I in the the right forum ?

Flaviu2, Jan 13, 2021
  3. WSL2 and Environment Variables

I am trying to install Selenium and build a python application that includes automating web page completion (login info). I would like to built the program using VSCode and WSL2. I've installed selenium in WSL2. Selenium requires a webdriver api to
    be installed and included on the system PATH in the environment variables. If I install the msedgedriver.exe for Windows, in Windows, and add it to PATH, will it work with Selenium installed on WSL2 in VSCode using Python?

JohnSampson5, Jan 13, 2021
  4. Enabling Insider to get WSL2

2004 after sleep mode crash if enable wsl2 (hyper-v)

CPU: Ryzen 3700x

if enable hyper-v (wsl2) - system crash after restore from sleep mode. Kernel power event #41.

If i disabled hypervisorlaunchtype from auto to off - sleep work correct.

All drivers update.

second OS 1903 - work correct.

EugeneKrivoruchko, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

Enabling Insider to get WSL2

1. Enabling Insider to get WSL2 - Similar Threads - Enabling Insider WSL2

2. WSL2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSL2: Hello,Could anyone please tell me whether WSL2 has any kind of connection to the internet or external network or application/service?Thanks in advance!Kind regards,Oliver Jenkins https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wsl2/788253f6-ebec-44ef-987f-29a2d5cb1fd1
  3. WSL2

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WSL2: Hello,Could anyone please tell me whether WSL2 has any kind of connection to the internet or external network or application/service?Thanks in advance!Kind regards,Oliver Jenkins https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wsl2/788253f6-ebec-44ef-987f-29a2d5cb1fd1
  4. WSL2

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Hyper-V machine sometimes gets stuck when enabling wsl2 nested virtualization enabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V machine sometimes gets stuck when enabling wsl2 nested virtualization enabled: I have a machine running a windows 11 VM with nested virtualization enabled. when enabling wsl2 features and restarting the VM sometimes "halts" in the reboot process. seemingly for no reason. other times I have a checkpoint however it works just fine.In general nested...
  6. Hyper-V machine sometimes gets stuck when enabling wsl2 nested virtualization enabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V machine sometimes gets stuck when enabling wsl2 nested virtualization enabled: I have a machine running a windows 11 VM with nested virtualization enabled. when enabling wsl2 features and restarting the VM sometimes "halts" in the reboot process. seemingly for no reason. other times I have a checkpoint however it works just fine.In general nested...
  7. WSL2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WSL2: Hello thereI've been trying to make wsl2 work on my surface pro 5 but I find myself unable to make sense of the range of suggestions from forums.The problem is that wsl can't connect to the internet, and so far I've tried to change the wsl.conf file according to this...
  8. BSOD when trying enable Virtual Machine Platform for WSL2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when trying enable Virtual Machine Platform for WSL2: I was following this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10 to try and install wsl2 for the first time on my laptop. The first step ran successfully, but when I try to restart after running: dism.exe /online /enable-feature...
  9. Running Virtualbox+Vagrant inside of WSL2 with nested virtualization

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Running Virtualbox+Vagrant inside of WSL2 with nested virtualization: An interesting read. Running Virtualbox+Vagrant inside of WSL2 with nested virtualization | by Alice Knag | Jul, 2021 | Medium 181985
  10. Error When Enabling WSL2 in Azure VM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error When Enabling WSL2 in Azure VM: Hi,I have created a VM in Azure, Standard B4ms class, and when I try to enable WSL2 with Ubuntu, I get the following error:WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102 Error: 0x80370102 The virtual machine could not be started because a required feature is not...