Windows 10: Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer

Discus and support Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I’ve done the fixes suggested by the Microsoft Community: Setting the registry key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BruceR41, Jan 18, 2021.

1. BruceR41 Win User

Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer

I’ve done the fixes suggested by the Microsoft Community:

• Setting the registry key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\LongPathsEnabled Type: REG_DWORD to 1
    • Adding Enable Win32 long paths in the Local Computer Policy: Computer Configuration: Administrative Templates: All Settings
    • Performing gpupdate and rebooting the system after these changes

I am incapable of implementing another solution recommended by the Microsoft Community:

The application manifest must also include the longPathAware element.

XMLCopy

<application xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">

<windowsSettings xmlns:ws2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2016/WindowsSettings">

<ws2:longPathAware>true</ws2:longPathAware>

</windowsSettings>

</application>

Is there anything else I can try?

My system is running:

Edition Windows 10 Pro

Version 20H2

Installed on ‎12/‎12/‎2019

OS build 19042.685

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.1070.0

:)

BruceR41, Jan 18, 2021

2. Windows long file name or path name has failed in the new windows

I have a windows 10 on my older computer and it has a group policy program that allowed me to set up windows 10 to allow for long file names/path names and I have no issues because the limit is no longer there. I bought a new PC with windows 10 and the group
    policy and registry modification no longer is there (group policy app) and no longer allows for long file names/path names which is not acceptable. My work needs to have directories/folders several layers deep and windows no long has the fix to change your
    windows system and explorer to allow for this to happen. There is no solution posted yet that solves this issue. There are lots of complaints about it though. I can delete files/folders ok by changing where the files are located but that is not the solution
    needed by myself or many others. We need to be able to allow for long file names/path names! My old PC with window 10 (newer installs make a mess out of it and had to take them off as they are not good upgrades. Group Policy app in later upgrades of the windows
    10 series which made it easy to allow for long file/path names no longer is on windows 10.

$1300 for a pc with windows now is a bad investment - I hate mac but windows continues to fail as to being my favorite system.

My and many others need is how can we modify the registry or get the group policy to do it to allow for long file/path names and not be restricted to the very small limits. If anyone has an answer on how to do this, then It would make life easier. Work around
    answers for copying files closer to the root part of the drive are not valid answers. I found this article but have not used it as too many other suggestions have been posted and they wasted our time fixing this issue. Here is that articles summary which is
    what our needs are:

In the past the maximum supported file length was 260 characters (256 usable after the drive characters and termination character). In Windows 10 long file name support can be enabled which allows file names
    up to 32,767 characters (although you lose a few characters for mandatory characters that are part of the name). To enable this perform the following:

That article link is: Enable long file name support in Windows 10

MichaelLowe1, Jan 18, 2021
  3. NAT
    Nat Win User
    Is it risky to enable long file paths on Windows 10?

Windows 10 has an option to allow for longer file paths (background). Is it risky to enable this option?

I ask because I've heard mixed comments about how there can be bugs related to long file names.

From a recent (2016-07-30) MSDN blog post:

• A comment:

• The response:

Another question on SuperUser (2016-08-17) seems to suggest that there're known issues.

Question: Does enabling long file paths increase the risk of file loss or corruption on Windows 10?

4. Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer

Explorer support for zip files with long file paths

Windows 10 Explorer natively support accessing files within a zip without exploding/extracting it.

That is a great feature since it prevents us to have to needlessly waste time and space to extract zip files just to look at some files within the zip file.

However, while accessing the zip file directly from Explorer, we have found that if people create a long folder structure with long folder names and long file names before zipping the folder structure, then trying to access some of those long folder/file
    name files in the zip file starts to fail, complaining about the path being too long.

Is there a known fix for that ? (One that does not involve extracting the entire zip file, just to look at one file)

(FYI: we have enabled the computer for long file paths in the registry, and accessing the exact same folder structure outside of the zip file at the root of the drive works fine)

Similarly, trying to extract the zip file in some folder within the drive folder hierarchy also fails, giving some error while extracting the zip file.

Can someone explain why trying to extract the zip file in some folder within the drive folder hierarchy also fails, given we have enabled the computer for long file paths in the registry ?

The only option we have found so far is to extract the zip file in the root of the drive, which then allow us to access all the files. even the ones with very long folder file names.

Thanks for any fix or insight you can provide.

YvesTrottier, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer

1. Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer - Similar Threads - Enabling Long Path

2. How to Enable Long File Paths on File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Enable Long File Paths on File Explorer: Hi Everyone,Is enabling log file path possible? I have set LongPathsEnabled in the registry to 1 and also enabled it in Local Group Policy Editor Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem.The instructions in...
  3. How to Enable Long File Paths on File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Enable Long File Paths on File Explorer: Hi Everyone,Is enabling log file path possible? I have set LongPathsEnabled in the registry to 1 and also enabled it in Local Group Policy Editor Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem.The instructions in...
  4. How to Enable Long File Paths on File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows 10 allowing long file paths not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 allowing long file paths not working.: I am using Windows 10, version 21H2. I need to create multiple folders within a parent folder. However I am constantly plagued by the 260 maximum character limit in windows. Learning that microsoft had supposedly disabled that limit sometime in 2016, and that file/folder...
  6. Windows 10 allowing long file paths not working.

Windows 10 allowing long file paths not working.: I am using Windows 10, version 21H2. I need to create multiple folders within a parent folder. However I am constantly plagued by the 260 maximum character limit in windows. Learning that microsoft had supposedly disabled that limit sometime in 2016, and that file/folder...
  7. File History - Files with long path names.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History - Files with long path names.: In August 2016, @gacpac posted that "File history doesn't let you back up long path file names".Does this problem still exist in Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-files-with-long-path-names/2482af76-4e9d-4ddd-aa8a-098efbf690a3
  8. File History - Files with long path names.

File History - Files with long path names.: In August 2016, @gacpac posted that "File history doesn't let you back up long path file names".Does this problem still exist in Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-files-with-long-path-names/2482af76-4e9d-4ddd-aa8a-098efbf690a3
  9. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...
  10. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Customization
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...