Windows 10: Enabling network sharing with smbv1 disabled and smbv2 enabled

Discus and support Enabling network sharing with smbv1 disabled and smbv2 enabled in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We all know about how people at microsoft make smbv1 mandatory to share folder across a local network, which exposes us to ransomwares. people at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lqlaow, Jun 3, 2020.

1. lqlaow Win User

Enabling network sharing with smbv1 disabled and smbv2 enabled

We all know about how people at microsoft make smbv1 mandatory to share folder across a local network, which exposes us to ransomwares. people at Microsoft have no concerns for security, despite being in IT business for the last 30 years....
    in windows 10 , like 1809, the trick is to enable smbv2 and disable smbv1, but like they say here it prevents some background process to start SMB1 disabled, SMB2 enabled; Can no longer access network shares

Fortunately i found a blog on how to get file sharing securely

first put back the windows firewall to default settings, to be sure

just to be sure, get those two new services enabled

get-Service fdPHost,FDResPub|Set-Service -startuptype automatic -passthru|Start-Service

then follow all those lines Mapped network printers unavailable due to SMB1 being obsolete – Xenit Technical

Enable SMB v2 Client
    sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
    sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

Enable SMB v2 Server
    Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters" SMB2 -Type DWORD -Value 1 Force
    Restart
    Disable SMB v1 Client
    sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb20/nsi
    sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= disabled

Disable SMB v1 Server
    Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters" SMB1 -Type DWORD -Value 0 Force
    Restart

Detect SMB v2 Client status
    sc.exe qc lanmanworkstation

Detect SMB v2 Server status
    Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters | ForEach-Object {Get-ItemProperty $_.pspath}

You can also check you have smbv1 disabled with

Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMB1Protocol, EnableSMB2Protocol

THe official command lines by microsoft are those

Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMB1Protocol, EnableSMB2Protocol
    Get-WindowsOptionalFeature Online FeatureName SMB1Protocol
    Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName SMB1Protocol
    Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName SMB1Protocol
    Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMB2Protocol
    Set-SmbServerConfiguration EnableSMB2Protocol $false
    Set-SmbServerConfiguration EnableSMB2Protocol $true

:)

lqlaow, Jun 3, 2020

2. Is there an easy way to activate SMBv2 or v3 on windows 10?

Hi Bill,

By default, the Server Message Block is enabled in Windows 10 devices. However, if SMB is disabled, running commands in PowerShell can enable it. For us to provide an effective solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build and edition of Windows 10 is installed on your device?
    • Are you using a Windows Server?
    • Is the device connected to a domain network?

In the meantime, you can check this link. It serves as a guide on how to
    detect, enable and disable SMBv1, SMBv2, and SMBv3 in Windows and Windows Server.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Darleen Pen, Jun 3, 2020
  3. JimWynne Win User
  4. Enabling network sharing with smbv1 disabled and smbv2 enabled

Network sharing not working after installing Cumulative updates on Windows 10 1809

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while using the network-sharing feature after installing cumulative updates.

Thank you for bringing this to our notice. I also appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue by performing the troubleshooting steps.

As you have mentioned that certain cumulative updates are causing the network-sharing feature to fail, it would be great if you can provide the KB number of the cumulative updates, which are causing the issue. So, we can look into
    this for you.

Also, for more clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below.

1. Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the PC’s?
    2. What is the make and model of the PC’s?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to enable SMBv1.0 on all the systems and check if that helps. Refer the section
    How to gracefully remove SMB v1 in Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows 2012 R2, and Windows Server 2016, and the sub-section
    Windows 8.1 and Windows 10: Add or Remove Programs method in the article

How to detect, enable and disable SMBv1, SMBv2, and SMBv3 in Windows and Windows Server

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the details and the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jun 3, 2020
Thema:

Enabling network sharing with smbv1 disabled and smbv2 enabled

1. Enabling network sharing with smbv1 disabled and smbv2 enabled - Similar Threads - Enabling network sharing

2. How to enable or disable SMBv2 in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable SMBv2 in Windows 10: If you want to enable or disable SMBv2 on your Windows 10 device then this guide will help you do so. But before that, let’s know a brief introduction about this application, however, if you are already familiar with this application, you can directly go to the below section...
  3. Enabling SMBv1 breaks netlogon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Enabling SMBv1 breaks netlogon: I need to enable SMBv1 for a domain computer. This computer needs to connect to an SMBv1 LAN. I enabled the optional feature for SMBv1 - but the connection was still refused. I ran these commands: sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi sc.exe...
  4. Guest access disabled - Why is it necessary to enable to access SMBv2 NAS?

Guest access disabled - Why is it necessary to enable to access SMBv2 NAS?: Hello. Since this is the files, folders and storage forum, I hope someone can help me. As most of you know, since windows 10 build 1709, "Guest Access in SMBv2" is disabled by default. When this happened the only way I had to regain network access to my NAS was by modifying...
  5. Enable Cloud Sharing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable Cloud Sharing: On my WIndows 10 PC playing simple Microsoft solitaire games and all the sudden everytime I sign on I get a message that I need to go to options and enable cloud sharing and I have no idea how to do that. Can someone please tell me how to do that?...
  6. Enabling/disabling file sharing with registry file

Enabling/disabling file sharing with registry file: A friend has a file sharing on with their box so they can play their media files on their WDTV. It's worked fine for years with 7 and 10 but in the last half year it seems to be turning off randomly although still on when i go to Advanced Sharing Settings. Is there a way to...
  7. SMB1 disabled, SMB2 enabled; Can no longer access network shares

SMB1 disabled, SMB2 enabled; Can no longer access network shares: Hey All, After the recent Wanncry attacks I disabled SMB1 protocol as per the cautionary suggestions from Msft et al. Now I can no longer access my network shares via File Explorer. I am still able to access the network device using IP address via browser. However, the...
  8. Shortcut to enable/disable network (wired)

Shortcut to enable/disable network (wired): Sorry if I missed it but it seems there is none posted under Shortcuts nor Internet & Network. I've tried searching for a solution but found no proper for Win10. There was at least one working in Win7 but it seems to have changed in Win10. I'm not looking for Wireless or...
  9. Enable or Disable Shared Experiences in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Shared Experiences in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Shared Experiences in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Shared Experiences in Windows 10 Microsoft has introduced a new Shared Experiences feature (formerly referred as Project Rome and Cross-Device Experiences) in Windows 10 Creators Update....
  10. Enable or Disable Network Adapters in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Network Adapters in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Network Adapters in Windows How to Enable or Disable Network Adapters in Windows A network adapter is a computer hardware component that connects a computer to a computer network known as a network connection. This tutorial will show you...