Windows 10: Enabling USB Type C (Thunderbolt) socket

Discus and support Enabling USB Type C (Thunderbolt) socket in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a desktop using a GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 1151 7th gen ddr4 rgb fusion motherboard, which includes a USB Type C port also described as a Thunderbolt 3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by milleniumaire, May 4, 2021.

1. Enabling USB Type C (Thunderbolt) socket

I have a desktop using a GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 1151 7th gen ddr4 rgb fusion motherboard, which includes a USB Type C port also described as a Thunderbolt 3 port. I've just purchased a new HP Z38C monitor, which includes some USB ports, however, to use them a cable must be plugged into the Type C inbound socket on the monitor. This monitor also provides video via DisplayPort, HDMI or USB Type C. Currently, I'm using a DisplayPort cable. According to the monitor instructions, it suggests using a Type C to Type A cable to connect the monitor to the desktop in order to enable the 3 available Type A ports on the monitor. Because the motherboard has a Type C port I thought it would be better to use this to connect the monitor, so I purchased a 3m Type C to Type C cable. However, when this cable is connected, the USB ports on the monitor are still not working. A short Type C to Type A cable came with the monitor so I plugged that in and the USB ports on the monitor do work. With this cable, I'm not using the Type C port on the motherboard. When the new Type C to Type C cable is plugged in the monitor control panel shows "USB-C Video Connected" and when the cable is disconnected, the monitor shows "Inactive", so clearly the monitor is detected a Type C cable is plugged in. If I try to select USB-C Video as the video input on the monitor, it doesn't find a signal. Am I wrong to expect the Type C to Type C cable to "just work"? Why aren't the monitor USB Type A ports working when using the Type C to Type C cable to connect the monitor to the desktop? Same with the video signal? It would appear that the Type C port on the motherboard isn't working! I have installed the latest Gigabyte Thunderbolt driver, but this didn't make any difference. I "suspect" I could purchase a Type C female to Type A male adapter and plug the new cable into a standard USB Type A connector on the motherboard, but I would much prefer to use the Type C port if possible. Do I need to do something to turn "on" the Type C port and pass video through it or simply use it to allow the USB ports on the monitor to work? Thanks.

:)

milleniumaire, May 4, 2021

2. Enabling USB Type C (Thunderbolt) socket

I have a desktop using a GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 1151 7th gen ddr4 rgb fusion motherboard, which includes a USB Type C port also described as a Thunderbolt 3 port.

I've just purchased a new HP Z38C monitor, which includes some USB ports, however, to use them a cable must be plugged into the Type C inbound socket on the monitor. This monitor also provides video via DisplayPort, HDMI or USB Type C. Currently, I'm using a DisplayPort cable.

According to the monitor instructions, it suggests using a Type C to Type A cable to connect the monitor to the desktop in order to enable the 3 available Type A ports on the monitor.

Because the motherboard has a Type C port I thought it would be better to use this to connect the monitor, so I purchased a 3m Type C to Type C cable.

However, when this cable is connected, the USB ports on the monitor are still not working. A short Type C to Type A cable came with the monitor so I plugged that in and the USB ports on the monitor do work. With this cable, I'm not using the Type C port on the motherboard.

When the new Type C to Type C cable is plugged in the monitor control panel shows "USB-C Video Connected" and when the cable is disconnected, the monitor shows "Inactive", so clearly the monitor is detected a Type C cable is plugged in.

If I try to select USB-C Video as the video input on the monitor, it doesn't find a signal.

Am I wrong to expect the Type C to Type C cable to "just work"? Why aren't the monitor USB Type A ports working when using the Type C to Type C cable to connect the monitor to the desktop? Same with the video signal? It would appear that the Type C port on the motherboard isn't working!

I have installed the latest Gigabyte Thunderbolt driver, but this didn't make any difference.

I "suspect" I could purchase a Type C female to Type A male adapter and plug the new cable into a standard USB Type A connector on the motherboard, but I would much prefer to use the Type C port if possible.

Do I need to do something to turn "on" the Type C port and pass video through it or simply use it to allow the USB ports on the monitor to work?

Thanks.

3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Enabling USB Type C (Thunderbolt) socket

Did you read this in the monitor manual?

NOTE: Except for USB Type-C input, the monitor automatically determines which inputs have valid
    video signals. You must manually select USB Type-C input. To select any input, including USB Type-C,
    open the OSD menu and select Input.

Did you download the Thunderbolt driver from Gigabyte website? I see you say you installed a driver, but was it the one from Gigabyte website?

NavyLCDR, May 4, 2021
  4. Enabling USB Type C (Thunderbolt) socket

Hi NavyLCDR,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Yes, yes and yes!

Yes, I'm aware that the monitor doesn't auto detect the Type C connection and so selected that from the monitor controls. While it shows a Type C cable is connected, it doesn't find a signal when selected.

Yes, I downloaded the latest Thunderbolt driver from the Gigabyte website for my motherboard.

Yes, I've gone into BIOS, but there is no such thunderbolt menu. There is a USB menu, but it doesn't say anything about thunderbolt! I have upgraded my motherboard to the latest available BIOS, which is F8 according to the Gigabyte BIOS tool.

It does feel like I need to do something to switch on the Type C port on the motherboard!

I managed to use the supplied HP Type C to Type C cable to connect the monitor to the desktop. It wasn't easy due to its short length but I got the same results as with the new 3m cable, so it would appear it isn't a cable issue as two different cables have now failed to work.

Thema:

1. Enabling USB Type C (Thunderbolt) socket - Similar Threads - Enabling USB Type

2. Problem with usb c thunderbolt - freezes the laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with usb c thunderbolt - freezes the laptop: Hello, The Thunderbolt usb c input on my computer ASUS TUF DASH F15 stopped working with a dock station I had been using for almost a year. I tried other multi port usb c I have and the only one that still works by usb cable only, is a usb c to vga adapter from dell. All the...
  3. Problem with usb c thunderbolt - freezes the laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with usb c thunderbolt - freezes the laptop: Hello, The Thunderbolt usb c input on my computer ASUS TUF DASH F15 stopped working with a dock station I had been using for almost a year. I tried other multi port usb c I have and the only one that still works by usb cable only, is a usb c to vga adapter from dell. All the...
  4. USB Type C

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Type C: Hey, guys hot question, My Asus Vivobook has a USB Type C output but reading the specs of my laptop for some weird reason it says that it does not support video output. There fore I only have one HDMI output for video and I need one more!!!!Does anyone know of a...
  5. USB Type C

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Type C: Hey, guys hot question, My Asus Vivobook has a USB Type C output but reading the specs of my laptop for some weird reason it says that it does not support video output. There fore I only have one HDMI output for video and I need one more!!!!Does anyone know of a...
  6. Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to display port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to display port: Hello random willing stranger Today I bought a new usb-c to displayport cable to properly connect my computer to an external monitor because it was time for a new connection cable and I wanted to exploit the thunderbolt supported usb-c port on my laptop and get some lower...
  7. Adaptor for type C Thunderbolt 3 port to connect to USB 3.0

Adaptor for type C Thunderbolt 3 port to connect to USB 3.0: Windows Version 1909 I don't know the right terminology. My new Dell laptop has a type-c thunderbolt 3 port. I'm looking for an adapter so that I can connect an external hard drive that has a USB 3.0 connector. I've looked around but I'm not 100% sure if I will be getting...
  8. usb c type

usb c type: im trying to set up a c type usb to hdmi and VGA, when i plug in the usb c type device manager recognises the device but it drops out within a few seconds, help please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-c-type/a0c6cae6-a9bf-4f0d-a11d-19620528cd36
  9. Usb - c / thunderbolt issue

Usb - c / thunderbolt issue: Hi, Recently purchased a Razer, currently transferring files over from my ATOM RAID 2 TB EXTERNAL SSD, USB-C / Thunder-Bolt 3 Drive to another External connected via USB 3 via Windows 10. Any time I attempt to transfer files, the ATOM RAID begins to transfer and then the...
  10. Welcome to the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 Era

in Windows 10 News
    Welcome to the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 Era: [img] USB-C has quickly become ubiquitous, and not just on mobile devices: This incredibly versatile connectivity standard is now pervasive on modern PCs as well. When combined with Thunderbolt 3, it’s nearly perfect. So much so, in fact, that Microsoft needs to adopt...