Windows 10: enabling verbose messages when starting and shutting down

Discus and support enabling verbose messages when starting and shutting down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tro...tatus-messages I like seeing this. I had to use the registry method, did not see it in group policy editor, why... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sdowney717, Nov 22, 2020.

1. enabling verbose messages when starting and shutting down

sdowney717, Nov 22, 2020
  2. Thelps Win User

How to Enable Verbose Boot with full list of Files Loaded at Startup?

Hi all,

Trying to work out if it's possible to cause Windows 10 to display a full list of files loaded during system startup as the machine boots?

What I mean is, similar to very old versions of Windows (3.1 and 95) where you'd get a full list of files, drivers, plugins etc. being loaded exactly as they were loaded during system startup.

Similar to what you see happening in this video:

I tried the Verbose Boot option in msconfig. I also tried the Highly Detailed Messages option in GPEdit.msc and the Registry Key for Verbose Boot in Regedit.

All those do is cause a few messages to flash during login and system shutdown, and not in the form of a list, so it's difficult to see what's happening.

I already know how to create a .txt log file of the boot process.

Much thanks for your assistance.

Thelps, Nov 22, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Pro (fully updated) will not shut down properly

Hi Chayan,

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • How exactly are you shutting down the computer? Is it from Start menu?
    • Did you try shutting down by pressing and holding the power button?
    • Did you make any recent changes to the computer settings?
    • Did you plug any external device to the computer?
    I would like to inform you that it is bit difficult to pin point on the exact reason behind the issue unless we get the answers for the questions asked above.

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to press and hold the power button and check if the computer able to shut down completely.

If the issue persist try unplug plug the charger\power cord from the power source and check if the issue persists, this may also arise due to any fault in the power source.

If the above steps doesn’t work, I suggest you to check if the fast startup option is enabled.

• Access control panel by right clicking on the Start menu.
    • Choose Power options.
    • Select Choose what the power buttons do and check if it is enabled.(Disable it if enabled)
    Please let us know if you are able to shut down the system properly after following the above steps. If the issue persists, please reply with the required information. We will be glad to assist.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Nov 22, 2020
  4. ray.g Win User

enabling verbose messages when starting and shutting down

PowerShell Bitlocker command uses unaproved verbs and verbosity setting

Sorry, I understand what you have said but BitLocker PowerShell CmdLets are built into Windows - I am doing nothing to import, load or anything else. The naming convention issue is NOT of my making.

This message should IMHO not occur if Microsoft are following their own naming conventions.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Import-Module -name bitlocker

VERBOSE: Loading module from path 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\bitlocker\bitlocker.psd1'.

VERBOSE: Loading 'FormatsToProcess' from path

'C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\bitlocker\BitLocker.Format.ps1xml'.

VERBOSE: Loading module from path

'C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\bitlocker\Microsoft.BitLocker.Structures.dll'.

VERBOSE: Loading module from path 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\bitlocker\BitLocker.psm1'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Get-ExceptionForHrInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'IsNanoPowerShell'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Decrypt-SecureStringInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Get-Win32EncryptableVolumeInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Read-UserSecretInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Get-BitLockerVolumeInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Get-BitLockerVolume'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Suspend-BitLocker'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Resume-BitLocker'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Lock-BitLocker'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Unlock-PasswordInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Unlock-RecoveryPasswordInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Unlock-RecoveryKeyInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Unlock-BitLocker'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Add-RecoveryPasswordProtectorInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Add-PasswordProtectorInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Remove-KeyProtectorByTypeInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Add-TpmProtectorInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Add-TpmAndPinProtectorInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Add-TpmAndStartupKeyProtectorInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Add-TpmAndPinAndStartupKeyProtectorInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Add-ExternalKeyProtectorInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Add-SidProtectorInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Add-BitLockerKeyProtector'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Remove-BitLockerKeyProtector'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Backup-BitLockerKeyProtector'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'BackupToAAD-BitLockerKeyProtector'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Enable-BitLockerAutoUnlock'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Disable-BitLockerAutoUnlock'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Disable-BitLocker'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Clear-BitLockerAutoUnlock'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Unlock-AdAccountOrGroupInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Test-SystemEntropyForBitLockerInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Test-TpmProtectorNeededInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Test-TpmForBitLockerInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Enable-BitLockerInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Show-BitLockerRequiredActionsInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Get-RecoveryKeyProtectorsCountInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Set-BitLockerVolumeInternal'.

VERBOSE: Exporting function 'Enable-BitLocker'.

VERBOSE: Importing function 'Add-BitLockerKeyProtector'.

VERBOSE: Importing function 'Backup-BitLockerKeyProtector'.

WARNING: The names of some imported commands from the module 'bitlocker' include unapproved verbs that might make them

less discoverable. To find the commands with unapproved verbs, run the Import-Module command again with the Verbose

parameter. For a list of approved verbs, type Get-Verb.

VERBOSE: The 'BackupToAAD-BitLockerKeyProtector' command in the bitlocker' module was imported, but because its name

does not include an approved verb, it might be difficult to find. For a list of approved verbs, type Get-Verb.

VERBOSE: Importing function 'BackupToAAD-BitLockerKeyProtector'.

VERBOSE: Importing function 'Clear-BitLockerAutoUnlock'.

VERBOSE: Importing function 'Disable-BitLocker'.

VERBOSE: Importing function 'Disable-BitLockerAutoUnlock'.

VERBOSE: Importing function 'Enable-BitLocker'.

VERBOSE: Importing function 'Enable-BitLockerAutoUnlock'.

VERBOSE: Importing function 'Get-BitLockerVolume'.

VERBOSE: Importing function 'Lock-BitLocker'.

VERBOSE: Importing function 'Remove-BitLockerKeyProtector'.

VERBOSE: Importing function 'Resume-BitLocker'.

VERBOSE: Importing function 'Suspend-BitLocker'.

VERBOSE: Importing function 'Unlock-BitLocker'.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

This one looks like it causes the issue:

WARNING: The names of some imported commands from the module 'bitlocker' include unapproved verbs that might make them

less discoverable. To find the commands with unapproved verbs, run the Import-Module command again with the Verbose

parameter. For a list of approved verbs, type Get-Verb.

VERBOSE: The 'BackupToAAD-BitLockerKeyProtector' command in the bitlocker' module was imported, but because its name

does not include an approved verb, it might be difficult to find. For a list of approved verbs, type Get-Verb.

VERBOSE: Importing function 'BackupToAAD-BitLockerKeyProtector'.

If Verbose is on all CmdLets I have used do not output ANY verbose statements but BitLocker does.

Try setting $VerbosePreference to 'Continue' and then with one of your own BitLocker disks or VHD which is not unlocked try:

Code:
    Unlock-BitLocker -MountPoint '<path>' -Password ((Get-Credential -UserName 'Do Not Change' -Message 'Enter the Password').GetNetworkCredential().password |ConvertTo-SecureString -AsPlainText -Force)
    Where <path> is a directory not just a drive letter and see the stream of output that I think is causing the issue.

ray.g, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

enabling verbose messages when starting and shutting down

1. enabling verbose messages when starting and shutting down - Similar Threads - enabling verbose messages

2. PC shuts down when starting a game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC shuts down when starting a game: Just built and set up my new PC with Win 11 installed all necessary programs and drivers. When starting a game e.g. Hell let loose it loads for a moment, then the PC fans run on max for a second and the PC shuts down.No error message, it just cuts off.. I opened HWMonitor on...
  3. PC shuts down when starting a game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC shuts down when starting a game: Just built and set up my new PC with Win 11 installed all necessary programs and drivers. When starting a game e.g. Hell let loose it loads for a moment, then the PC fans run on max for a second and the PC shuts down.No error message, it just cuts off.. I opened HWMonitor on...
  4. PC reboots when pressing shut down button start -> shut down instead of actual shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC reboots when pressing shut down button start -> shut down instead of actual shut down: Hi.I got a weird bug with my PC recently. When I shut down the PC by pressing start -> shut down, the screen goes black for a few seconds like it's shutting down, and then I see a lock screen and login again. Reboot works as expected. If run command `shutdown /s` - the PC...
  5. PC reboots when pressing shut down button start -> shut down instead of actual shut down

PC reboots when pressing shut down button start -> shut down instead of actual shut down: Hi.I got a weird bug with my PC recently. When I shut down the PC by pressing start -> shut down, the screen goes black for a few seconds like it's shutting down, and then I see a lock screen and login again. Reboot works as expected. If run command `shutdown /s` - the PC...
  6. Not Shutting Down even hibernate when Fast Startup is enabled.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not Shutting Down even hibernate when Fast Startup is enabled.: Original issue locked thread:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-shutting-down-even-hibernate-when-fast-startup/9f5a172a-8ab4-4a45-a301-3996a69ae863When I try to poweroff the laptop from start menu. It tries to shutdownblue shutting down.. screen and...
  7. Not Shutting Down even hibernate when Fast Startup is enabled.

Not Shutting Down even hibernate when Fast Startup is enabled.: Original issue locked thread:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-shutting-down-even-hibernate-when-fast-startup/9f5a172a-8ab4-4a45-a301-3996a69ae863When I try to poweroff the laptop from start menu. It tries to shutdownblue shutting down.. screen and...
  8. Not Shutting Down even hibernate when Fast Startup is enabled.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Not Shutting Down even hibernate when Fast Startup is enabled.: When I try to poweroff the laptop from start menu. It tries to shutdownblue shutting down.. screen and screen turns off. But within a second the screen lits up again on the lock screen. If fast startup is disabled, this issue no longer exists. When I open event viewer, I...
  9. Error message when shutting down the PC?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Error message when shutting down the PC?: When I shut down my PC I get a message that I can't read because it disappears immediately and the typical Windows sound is also I ask for your help Fehlermeldung beim Herunterfahren vom PC?
  10. Enable Detailed Status Messages at Shut down, Sign out, and Sign in

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable Detailed Status Messages at Shut down, Sign out, and Sign in: How to: Enable Detailed Status Messages at Shut down, Sign out, and Sign in [img] Information By default, only the default status messages are displayed to the user during the process of starting, shutting down, signing in, or signing out of Windows. If you like, you...