Windows 10: Enabling WSL/Hyper-V causes vram to change back to 2GB ?

Discus and support Enabling WSL/Hyper-V causes vram to change back to 2GB ? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Today, i wanted to try out wsl. As a linux and windows user, this would be very helpful! But when i enabled it and restarted my pc, i found out in task... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Nasif Emad Chowdhury, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Enabling WSL/Hyper-V causes vram to change back to 2GB ?

Today, i wanted to try out wsl. As a linux and windows user, this would be very helpful! But when i enabled it and restarted my pc, i found out in task manager that my ram has changed form 7.4 gb to 5.9 gb. The "5.9 GB of ram" seemed familiar, because when i bought this pc, it originally came with 8gb of ram but 2.1gb hardware reserved. that 2 gigs of hardware reserved actually was reserved for the Integrated gpu's vram. Since i kinda needed ram more than vram as i dont play games that much, i went into the motherboard bios, and changed the gpu memory from 2G to 512M. Then i got 7.4 gb of r

:)

Nasif Emad Chowdhury, Oct 21, 2021
  2. Harriet Mitchell, Oct 21, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Can't Enable Hyper-V in Windows 10 Professional

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your effort on this. As per my research the error code 0x800f0831 is generated when .Net Framework 3.5 is not enabled on the computer. I suggest you to try enabling .Net Framework 3.5 on the computer. Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type appwiz.cpl and click on
      OK
    3. Click on Turn Windows features on or off.
    4. Now, select the check box for .Net Framework 3.5 and click on
      OK.
    5. Restart the computer.

You can also check if Virtualization feature is enabled in BIOS or not, if it is not enabled, I suggest you to enable it.

You may also refer the troubleshooting steps performed by Jins Peter replied on August 13, 2019 in the thread

Hyper-V on Windows Pro wont install
    and see if that helps.

For additional information, you may also refer the article
    Step-By-Step: Enabling Hyper-V for use on Windows 10

Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee
    that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on Hyper-V to assist you with the appropriate details.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 21, 2021
  4. Enabling WSL/Hyper-V causes vram to change back to 2GB ?

Enabling Hyper-V causes Windows 10 unable to boot

I'm having issues enabling Hyper-V in the "Add Windows Features" option in the control panel. I was hoping to increase performance with Google's Android Emulator for testing. Upon enabling Hyper-V, Windows
    applies changes and resets. Windows is then unable to boot after this. Previously I had thought it may have been conflicting drivers from Virtualbox. After the last attempt, I was unable to use system restore or boot into Safe Mode and had to clean install.

I clean installed Windows 10 and installed windows updates and graphics / chipset drivers and tried to re-enable Hyper-V again. I also tried disabling "Fast Boot" in control panel at this time after reading
    it may cause issues when enabling Hyper-V. I ran into the same problem but thankfully was able to boot into safe mode and windows successfully rolled back the feature and then booted normally.

I have the virtualization option enabled in BIOS. According to systeminfo, I have the requirements for Hyper-V AFAIK.

systeminfo command reads as follows:

• VM Monitor Mode Extensions: Yes
    • Virtualization Enabled in Firmware: Yes
    • Second Level Address Translation: Yes
    • Data Execution Prevention Available: Yes
    OS and Hardware:

• Windows 10 Enterprise
    • MSI x470 Gaming Plus
    • Ryzen 3 2200g

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if any additional information is required.

irr3s0lute, Oct 21, 2021
Thema:

Enabling WSL/Hyper-V causes vram to change back to 2GB ?

1. Enabling WSL/Hyper-V causes vram to change back to 2GB ? - Similar Threads - Enabling WSL Hyper

2. Hyper-V Cant be enabled!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V Cant be enabled!: Hey Guys, I really hope that this can be fixed for me.First my Specs: I got Windows 11 48G Ram RTX 3060 MSI Tomahawk Motherboard AMD Ryzen 9 5900 CPUNow, I am trying to enable Hyper V to use Windows Sandbox. When I try to start Sandbox, it says "Initialisation of Sandbox...
  3. Why my vram changes back to 2GB after restart??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why my vram changes back to 2GB after restart??: I changed my vram by going to bios and changed it to 4GB vram from 2GBdefault Vram because i want more vram for gaming, when i boot my pc and open my task manager there 4GB vram is also showing and my games also works fine. But when i start my pc back on then again it changes...
  4. Why my vram changes back to 2GB after restart??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my vram changes back to 2GB after restart??: I changed my vram by going to bios and changed it to 4GB vram from 2GBdefault Vram because i want more vram for gaming, when i boot my pc and open my task manager there 4GB vram is also showing and my games also works fine. But when i start my pc back on then again it changes...
  5. Enabling WSL/Hyper-V causes vram to change back to 2GB ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabling WSL/Hyper-V causes vram to change back to 2GB ?: Today, i wanted to try out wsl. As a linux and windows user, this would be very helpful! But when i enabled it and restarted my pc, i found out in task manager that my ram has changed form 7.4 gb to 5.9 gb. The "5.9 GB of ram" seemed familiar, because when i bought this pc,...
  6. Enabling WSL/Hyper-V causes vram to change back to 2GB ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Enabling WSL/Hyper-V causes vram to change back to 2GB ?: Today, i wanted to try out wsl. As a linux and windows user, this would be very helpful! But when i enabled it and restarted my pc, i found out in task manager that my ram has changed form 7.4 gb to 5.9 gb. The "5.9 GB of ram" seemed familiar, because when i bought this pc,...
  7. Enabling Hyper v causes a bsod

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Enabling Hyper v causes a bsod: When I enable hyper v I get the bsod of death SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. some other details are that I also have bluestacks and vmware installed. I also have dmp files if you want to see them. Help is very much appreciated submitted by /u/Endlesserrors1 [link]...
  8. Is Hyper-V enabled when I install WSL 2?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is Hyper-V enabled when I install WSL 2?: I kept Hyper-V disabled before because I had noticed a slight performance hit when it was enabled. But I understand that WSL 2, which I absolutely want to keep enabled, uses some kind of VM. Does that mean that enabling WSL 2 automatically enables the full hypervisor, with...
  9. Trouble enabling Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Trouble enabling Hyper-V: I have Virtualization Technology enabled in my bios, Windows Hypervisor Platform is enabled in Turn Windows features on and off, and when I type Hyper-V Manager in Windows Search the best match is Hyper-V Manager web results, so I went into Services and every Hyper-V related...
  10. Enabling Hyper-V causes IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Enabling Hyper-V causes IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL: The very latest version of Windows 10 Pro and all updates as of 17th Oct 2018. Winver 1803 (OS Build 17134.345) Problem: Installing Hyper-V causes a BSOD at any random time. It doesn't need to be configured it doesn't need to have any VM running. Just installing Hyper-V...