Windows 10: Encrypt a folder with Cipher

Discus and support Encrypt a folder with Cipher in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently heard about this command in the Cmd called "cipher" where it can encrypt a folder, so I decided to give it a try. This is what the file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Comdervids, May 17, 2019.

1. Encrypt a folder with Cipher

I recently heard about this command in the Cmd called "cipher" where it can encrypt a folder, so I decided to give it a try.

This is what the file looks like:

Encrypt a folder with Cipher 1216834d-5587-491a-9148-374e6edca3e0?upload=true.png

So I try to encrypt Derek's things(a folder) with the command in the command prompt:

(my drive is CEncrypt a folder with Cipher :)

Encrypt a folder with Cipher f824e318-d588-4aef-bf9b-43621c004eb9?upload=true.png

and this comes up:

Encrypt a folder with Cipher 3e0a081b-dd0f-4772-806d-1751a96d28a4?upload=true.png

So I tried it with the run command and in administrator, but I got the same error.

How do I fix this?

Please reply, I share my laptop and I don't need people poking in my documents!
    I run Windows 10 Home.

Is the command wrong, and what should I type instead?

:)

Comdervids, May 17, 2019
  2. Pavan MK Win User

Why all my newly created files and folders Encrypted in Desktop?

Every time I create a new folder or file and save it to my Desktop, a gold padlock icon appears on it. I tried the following steps but no use:

1. Go to C:\Users\User_Name and select Desktop folder, right click on it, select properties, then go to Advanced, unchecked the option "Encrypt the option to secure data". Then it shows one error as

"An error occurred trying to apply attributes to the file:

C:\Users\User_name\Desktop

The specific file could not be decrypted" .

2. Open an administrator command line and run "cipher /u /n" to list all the EFS files.

Then run "cipher /d "path to the file"" to decrypt all the EFS files.

Any other suggestions ?

Regards

Pavan MK, May 17, 2019
  3. Cipher /e

I've been trying to encrypt a folder on my desktop but every time I use cipher /e [filename] I get ERR, request not supported.

Test is the name of the folder on my desktop which I want to encrypt.

C:\Users\king\Desktop>cipher /e Test

Encrypting files in C:\Users\king\Desktop\

Test [ERR]

Test: The request is not supported.

0 file(s) [or directorie(s)] within 1 directorie(s) were encrypted.

I'm not sure what I'm missing or doing wrong. In reality, what I want to do in the end is encrypt a flash drive on D: via command prompt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

king.cipher, May 17, 2019
  4. Encrypt a folder with Cipher

Encrypting a folder

Hello Bill,

To encrypt a folder in Windows 10 Home, follow these steps:

• Right-click the folder you want to encrypt and click Properties.
    • On the General tab, click Advanced.
    • Under Compress or Encrypt attributes, click Encrypt contents to secure data.
    • Click OK then Apply to save the changes.

We're just here if you need further help.

Devlin Sco, May 17, 2019
Thema:

Encrypt a folder with Cipher

1. Encrypt a folder with Cipher - Similar Threads - Encrypt folder Cipher

2. Folder Encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Encryption: Hello,I HAVE administrator rights on my account, but the option to "encrypt contents to secure data" is greyed out. I have gone through the steps in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to enable encryption. It still will not let me encrypt a folder. Why not? All other forums about this issue...
  3. Folder Encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder Encryption: Hello,I HAVE administrator rights on my account, but the option to "encrypt contents to secure data" is greyed out. I have gone through the steps in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to enable encryption. It still will not let me encrypt a folder. Why not? All other forums about this issue...
  4. Folder Encryption

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Encryption: Hi, I tried to encrypt a folder to lock it but under the Compress or Encrypt attributes tab the Encrypt Contents to secure data tab is grayed out and I can't click it. Please help-Thanks...
  5. Cipher isn't working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cipher isn't working: I've used cipher.exe to delete unallocated space, and did everything said on many articles and websites, but after running through a recovery software, all the data still can be recovered, any reason? The command i used was cipher /wc:\ submitted by /u/vitamin-tristopher...
  6. The remote host supports the use of SSL ciphers that offer medium strength encryption

The remote host supports the use of SSL ciphers that offer medium strength encryption: The remote host supports the use of SSL ciphers that offer medium strength encryption. Nessus regards medium strength as any encryption that uses key lengths at least 64 bits and less than 112 bits, or else that uses the 3DES encryption suite. Note that it is considerably...
  7. How to change BitLocker Encryption method & Cipher Strength in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change BitLocker Encryption method & Cipher Strength in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 uses XTS-AES 128 bit by default for operating system drives as well as fixed data drives – and AES-CBC 128 bit by default for removable data drives. In this post, we will show you how to set a [...] This post How to change BitLocker Encryption...
  8. Cipher /e

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cipher /e: I've been trying to encrypt a folder on my desktop but every time I use cipher /e [filename] I get ERR, request not supported. Test is the name of the folder on my desktop which I want to encrypt. *****************************************************...
  9. Folder Encryption.

Folder Encryption.: Hello Microsoft Community, I want to encrypt a folder on my computer, but i am finding it impossible to do so. I first went to the folder, and selected, Properties/General/Advanced, but the option to encrypt the folder was grayed out. I then looked on the internet for a...
  10. Change BitLocker Encryption Method and Cipher Strength in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change BitLocker Encryption Method and Cipher Strength in Windows 10: How to: Change BitLocker Encryption Method and Cipher Strength in Windows 10 How to Set Default BitLocker Encryption Method and Cipher Strength in Windows 10 You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your files on an entire drive. BitLocker can help block...