Windows 10: Encrypted folder won't decrypt even with the same password

Discus and support Encrypted folder won't decrypt even with the same password in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I encrypted a folder and all files in it using Windows 10 File Explorer. I had to re-install Windows which gave my computer a new device name,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by badbigdad, Sep 25, 2022.

1. badbigdad Win User

Encrypted folder won't decrypt even with the same password

I encrypted a folder and all files in it using Windows 10 File Explorer. I had to re-install Windows which gave my computer a new device name, DESKTOP-AOO3LRQ which is different from the device name when I encrypted the folder either DESKTOP-EPNHTM0 or DESKTOP-HKO949A, I don't remember which one. I've been able to import the PFX file using the right button menu, Install PFX and using the same password that was specified when I encrypted the folder. Now I can uncheck the "Encrypt contents to secure data" check box, but when I try to apply that change, I'm told that the folder or any contained e

:)

badbigdad, Sep 25, 2022

2. Windows 10 Encryption/Decryption of Folders/Files 'Certificate'

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below question.

• Were you able to Encrypt the data?
    • Did you get any error message?
    • What exact issue are you facing with Encryption and Decryption?
    Note: The first time you encrypt a folder or file, an encryption certificate is automatically created. You should back up your encryption certificate.
    If your certificate and key are lost or damaged and you don't have a backup,
    you won't be able to use the files that you have encrypted.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Sep 25, 2022
  3. Decrypt Encrypted Files and folders Backed up from Win 7 to Win 10

Hi Dania,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

Do you remember how did you encrypt those files in Windows 7?

I appreciate your efforts and time. Sorry to know that the issue persists.

If you have not tried decrypting using a encryption key, then I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Encrypt or decrypt a folder or file: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/encrypt-decrypt-folder-file#1TC=windows-7

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Sep 25, 2022
  4. Encrypted folder won't decrypt even with the same password

Folder encryption/decryption

Could you help me with the problem? I have encrypted a folder then copied this folder to my portable hard disk without decrypting it. I am currently staying in another country and don’t have any access to the first computer.
    I desperately need to decrypt the file but cannot do it on this computer.

Mirosh Banf, Sep 25, 2022
Thema:

Encrypted folder won't decrypt even with the same password

1. Encrypted folder won't decrypt even with the same password - Similar Threads - Encrypted folder won't

2. Encrypted folder won't decrypt even with the same password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypted folder won't decrypt even with the same password: I encrypted a folder and all files in it using Windows 10 File Explorer. I had to re-install Windows which gave my computer a new device name, DESKTOP-AOO3LRQ which is different from the device name when I encrypted the folder either DESKTOP-EPNHTM0 or DESKTOP-HKO949A, I...
  3. Encrypted folder won't decrypt even with the same password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encrypted folder won't decrypt even with the same password: I encrypted a folder and all files in it using Windows 10 File Explorer. I had to re-install Windows which gave my computer a new device name, DESKTOP-AOO3LRQ which is different from the device name when I encrypted the folder either DESKTOP-EPNHTM0 or DESKTOP-HKO949A, I...
  4. Encrypted a Folder - Not able to access it and also decrypt it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypted a Folder - Not able to access it and also decrypt it.: Hi all,I am using Windows 10 Pro. Recently I had to protect a folder containing sub-folders so I encrypted it through properties and settings security. But after encryption I am neither able to access it nor able to decrypt it.I tried all methods given on internet and various...
  5. Encrypted a Folder - Not able to access it and also decrypt it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encrypted a Folder - Not able to access it and also decrypt it.: Hi all,I am using Windows 10 Pro. Recently I had to protect a folder containing sub-folders so I encrypted it through properties and settings security. But after encryption I am neither able to access it nor able to decrypt it.I tried all methods given on internet and various...
  6. Encrypted a Folder - Not able to access it and also decrypt it.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. I can encrypt a folder but then can’t decrypt it.

I can encrypt a folder but then can’t decrypt it.: I am running Windows 10 Pro 64bit build 19041.928. I am theonly user of this PC, always logging in as “Mike”, and am an administrator.If I create a folder c:\enc and then use Properties / Advanced/ “Encrypt contents to secure data” this works.If I then try to use Properties /...
  8. Encryption/Decryption

Encryption/Decryption: I encrypted some files in Windows 7 using EFS. The computer was formatted to install Windows 10 and those files won't open now. I tried to decrypt them by using the PFX file, cipher command, and setting permissions but they couldn't decrypt the files. They were unable to show...
  9. Encryption/ Decryption

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encryption/ Decryption: I encrypted some files in Windows 7 using EFS. The computer was formatted to install Windows 10 and those files won't open now. I tried to decrypt them by using the PFX file, cipher command, and setting permissions but they couldn't decrypt the files. They were unable to show...
  10. encryption and decryption

encryption and decryption: Hi, I want to encrypt photos for storage. I have many choice of software to do that , but my point or question is: In say 20 years, I will have changed computer , or my computer will be 20 years old, and I may not have updated or upgraded the original software that I...