Windows 10: Encrypted My .PFX!

Discus and support Encrypted My .PFX! in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; OK, so I fucked up! I backed up and then wiped one of my HDD's and reinstalled Windows 10 Pro. When I went to copy everything back over I realized I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Line_Stepper2020, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Encrypted My .PFX!

OK, so I fucked up! I backed up and then wiped one of my HDD's and reinstalled Windows 10 Pro.

When I went to copy everything back over I realized I did not decrypt my files before wiping. Oops!

I have the .pfx files and I do know the password, but I am unable to open it in Certificates Wizard...or anything else...getting the error "Access is Denied" when trying to do anything with any of the files.

Is there any way around this? I'm going to be losing quite a bit of stuff if so... Encrypted My .PFX! :(

submitted by /u/Line_Stepper2020
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Line_Stepper2020, Jan 18, 2021
  2. chriad Win User

Decrypting bitlocker encrypted OS volume with .pfx certificate

I have a windows 10 operating system partition that is encrypted with bitlocker.
    Unfortunately I don't remember ever having activated bitlocker encryption nor can find and
    .bek file or numeric pin or password.

My first uncertainty is in why my device is encrypted in the first place and who encrypted it. There are two possibilities: I have encrypted it myself and forgotten about it. The manufacturer that shipped the laptop has encrypted the device
    when installing the operating system (which I don't think is the case). I contacted the manufacturer and they do not have knowledge of any key.

My second uncertainty is in why the bitlocker lockout was triggered at this time when it worked fine for the last year or so. It says
    Boot policy has unexpectedly changed. From what I have red so far, there are a lot of reasons why this can happen. Probably it happened because I did not properly remove a external USB harddrive or I changed some BIOS settings without knowing what
    I was doing. The only important question is if it is it in principle possible to roll back the boot policy to its initial state and thus circumvent the necessity to enter the bitlocker code?

My third uncertainty is concerning the unlock key. I found a
    .pfx certificate file that I might have exported during the encryption procedure, I just don't remember. I found a post

https://www.einfaches-netzwerk.at/teil-20b-bitlocker-dra/
    where a drive is indeed decrypted with the
    sha1 certificate thumbprint like this:

manage-bde -unlock i: -cert -ct "46 4f 75 9b f9 67 7a d2 44 d0 7b 64 61 63 16 80 df dc 0b a2"

which I can easily retrieve from the .pfx file.

My question is now, assuming this .pfx certificate indeed contains the key to do the decryption, how can I export this certificate to the certificate store so that the above command will work?

How can I install the .pfx certificate from the elevated command prompt (I cannot do it from within the GUI because it is my OS volume that is locked so I only can access it with the recovery console)?

I tired:

certutil -f -p somePassword -importpfx "somePfx.pfx"

as outlined here
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5171117/import-pfx-file-into-particular-certificate-store-from-command-line?noredirect=1
    , but
    certutil command is not found.

Here is the output of the manage-bde -status command

Can someone give a hint on how to decrypt a bitlocker encrypted OS partition with a
    .pfx file and clarify if the steps outlined are in principle correct and should work if the certificate is the right one?

I would appreciate any your comments.

chriad, Jan 18, 2021
  3. DMGJM Win User
    Windows 10 Encryption Backing Up the Certificate

Windows 10 Encryption.

My problem is when I try to backup the Certificate Key to an external drive as is recommended by Microsoft. ("Backup your file certificate key...")

The Certificate Export Wizard pops up.

I click NEXT.

The default display is for a .pfx file (which I assume is the default Certificate format when I encrypted the document).

I click NEXT.

Asks for a password and confirm password.

I complete the password step and click NEXT.

THEN THE PROBLEM

It asks for a "file name" for "File to Export.... Specify the name of the file you want to export"

I DON'T KNOW THE FILE NAME FOR THE CERTIFICATE.

The Certificate was automatically generated when I encrypted the file - it did not tell me what the certificate name is or where it is stored.

When I click the browse button, it is looking for a .pfx file but to perform the search I am required to click on every single subfolder individually to search for the .pfx file. It is not in the documents folder fyi.

How do I find the Certificate .pfx file in order to export it?

DMGJM, Jan 18, 2021
  4. Encrypted My .PFX!

Device Encryption not avaiable

Hello Fraczek,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Are you referring to BitLocker Drive Encryption?
    • What preventing you from doing this?
    • Did you get any error message or code while doing this?

Before you come up with the above information, suggest you to refer the article

Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption
    and see if it help you.

Do refer the article
    Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide
    and check if it help you with the required information.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

Encrypted My .PFX!

1. Encrypted My .PFX! - Similar Threads - Encrypted PFX

2. My PC is Bitlocker encrypted and I read that the only way to fix it is to re-install...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC is Bitlocker encrypted and I read that the only way to fix it is to re-install...: I was given a used PC that was Bitlocker encrypted, and neither of us have the Bitlocker password. It won't let me wipe the entire PC, and I was to to look it up. So I did, and I read that the only way to fix it is to re-install Windows 11. I'm still pretty new to the IT...
  3. My PC is Bitlocker encrypted and I read that the only way to fix it is to re-install...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC is Bitlocker encrypted and I read that the only way to fix it is to re-install...: I was given a used PC that was Bitlocker encrypted, and neither of us have the Bitlocker password. It won't let me wipe the entire PC, and I was to to look it up. So I did, and I read that the only way to fix it is to re-install Windows 11. I'm still pretty new to the IT...
  4. Access is denied when I try to disable bitlocker on an encrypted external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access is denied when I try to disable bitlocker on an encrypted external drive: I had a Windows 11 laptop with a 512GB SSD, which got broken a few months ago I have the SSD intact. I am using an External SSD adapter to back up my data. I have access to my Bitlocker keys and can access my files in a read-only mode but if I delete or modify my files it's...
  5. Access is denied when I try to disable bitlocker on an encrypted external drive

Access is denied when I try to disable bitlocker on an encrypted external drive: I had a Windows 11 laptop with a 512GB SSD, which got broken a few months ago I have the SSD intact. I am using an External SSD adapter to back up my data. I have access to my Bitlocker keys and can access my files in a read-only mode but if I delete or modify my files it's...
  6. BitLocker - encrypt full drive or only existing data not shown?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker - encrypt full drive or only existing data not shown?: When enabling BitLocker and encrypting the only drive with Windows 11 Pro on it it took seconds to "encrypt" a drive. Then in the local group policy editor I can enable TPM+PIN, but still - I didn't have a prompt to choose between "encrypting everything, which will take more...
  7. BitLocker - encrypt full drive or only existing data not shown?

BitLocker - encrypt full drive or only existing data not shown?: When enabling BitLocker and encrypting the only drive with Windows 11 Pro on it it took seconds to "encrypt" a drive. Then in the local group policy editor I can enable TPM+PIN, but still - I didn't have a prompt to choose between "encrypting everything, which will take more...
  8. Bitlocker encrypted USB destroys laptops

Bitlocker encrypted USB destroys laptops: I've recently run across one of the strangest issues I've seen and I don't have any explanation for it.For background, at our org, we force Bitlocker encryption on all external USBs when writing files. We also Bitlocker encrypt all internal disks on our deployed laptops as...
  9. Bitlocker encrypted USB destroys laptops

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bitlocker encrypted USB destroys laptops: I've recently run across one of the strangest issues I've seen and I don't have any explanation for it.For background, at our org, we force Bitlocker encryption on all external USBs when writing files. We also Bitlocker encrypt all internal disks on our deployed laptops as...
  10. Import EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key (PFX file) in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Import EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key (PFX file) in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When you EFS encrypt your files/folders, it’s recommended you create a backup of your file encryption certificate and key to a PFX file, to avoid permanently losing access to your encrypted files and folders if the original certificate and key [...] This...