Windows 10: Encrypted USB thumb drive is blocked by Windows Defender

Discus and support Encrypted USB thumb drive is blocked by Windows Defender in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have Kingston Data Traveler encrypted USB thumb drive and it is blocked byWindows Defender. I enter the passcode, then the thumb drive create a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KenPeck., Jan 15, 2020.

1. KenPeck. Win User

Encrypted USB thumb drive is blocked by Windows Defender

I have Kingston Data Traveler encrypted USB thumb drive and it is blocked byWindows Defender. I enter the passcode, then the thumb drive create a different unencrypted drive but then a see a pop-up>>Please insert a disk into USB drive>> - the new drive isinaccessible.

When Windows defender is turned off, the issue will not appear.

:)

KenPeck., Jan 15, 2020
  2. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Jan 15, 2020
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    USBs encrypted with BitLocker To Go causes Windows 10 machines to hang following Windows Defender update to 4.18.1812.3-0

Hi Scott,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

This issue could be because of the drive letter being assigned automatically when the encrypted USB drive is plugged in.

You may want to try the steps listed below and see if it works for you.

• Plug in a flash drive without any encryption, format it completely.
    • Right click the Windows icon on the taskbar and choose
      Disk Management
    • In the Disk Management console, right click the volume with the USB drive letter and select
      Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    • Click on Change, choose E, and click
      OK.
    • Restart the machine, plug in the encrypted USB drive
      and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, as the query is related to the BitLocker To Go configuration, I suggest you to post your query in the
    TechNet Forums,
    where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on BitLocker to assist you with this.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jan 15, 2020
  4. btarunr Win User

Kanguru Solutions Releases Kanguru Defender V2 Encrypted Flash Drive

Kanguru Solutions today announced its latest security product, the Kanguru Defender V2, an encrypted, secure flash drive designed for commercial use. The Kanguru Defender V2 is the latest in the Defender line of encrypted flash drives, following the FIPS 140-2 Certified Kanguru Defender Elite model targeted at government and enterprise use. The Defender V2 offers security features including:
    • FIPS 197 Certified, 256-bit AES Hardware Based Encryption
    • Limited Password Attempts
    • Master Password Support
    • Restricted IP Range/Domain Support
    • Anti-Virus/Malware Protection
    • No Administrative Rights Required for Use

Encrypted USB thumb drive is blocked by Windows Defender 78a_thm.jpg

“Our goal with the Defender V2 is to provide a highly secure flash drive for organizations that need top notch security features, but may not require some of the government/enterprise features such as FIPS 140-2 Certification and tamper resistant design.” said Don Brown, CEO of Kanguru Solutions. “By retaining the core security features, but removing some of the higher end enterprise components, we are able to produce a highly secure device that hits a very attractive price point.”

In addition to its onboard security, the Kanguru Defender V2 can also be remotely managed with Kanguru Remote Management Console (KRMC), allowing an organization to delete lost or stolen drives, manage passwords, and ensure compliance with organizational security policies.

The Kanguru Defender V2 also addresses common industry standards and regulations such as Sarbanes Oxley and HIPAA. Many states are also introducing strong data breach laws which the Kanguru Defender V2 with KRMC would specifically address.

“Kanguru is pleased to offer an evaluation program on the Kanguru Defender V2, Defender Elite and KRMC.” said Nate Cote, VP of product management. “This allows companies to test our products security features and review how well they address their organizational security needs. We’re confident that our features, performance, and price point will impress even the toughest CIOs, CFOs, and CISOs.”

Capacities for the Kanguru Defender V2 start at 1GB and go up to 128GB. KRMC is available in a self hosted Enterprise Edition or a hosted Cloud Edition.

btarunr, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Encrypted USB thumb drive is blocked by Windows Defender - Similar Threads - Encrypted USB thumb

2. Defender ASR rule blocked TotalLock.exe on encrypted USB flash drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender ASR rule blocked TotalLock.exe on encrypted USB flash drive: Hi,We have ASR rules configured on MS Defender in company.Some users noticed that they can't use their hardware encrypted USB flash drives as when they try to run application to unlock drive TotalLock.exe nothing happens but in the logs you can see that ASR rule: Block...
  3. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  4. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  5. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. USB thumb drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB thumb drives: Sorry not really a w10 issue but how much actual data should I expect to get from a 32g drive? I just bought one and it is only 28.6 should I return it? I contacted Sandisk and this is what they said; Thank you for contacting SanDisk® Global Customer Support. I understand...
  7. Windows Defender Blocking Kingston Data Traveler encrypted USB thumb drive

Windows Defender Blocking Kingston Data Traveler encrypted USB thumb drive: Windows Defender Blocking Kingston Data Traveler encrypted USB thumb drive. The symptom would be after entering the passcode, the thumb drive created another unencrypted drive but it will always gave me a message "Please insert a disk into USB drive", that new drive is not...
  8. backup to usb thumb drives?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    backup to usb thumb drives?: Is it possible to do backups to thumbdrives? If so, is it possible to do those backups with common backup apps such as macrim and/or AOMEI? If so what are the pros and cons? Windows 10 Pro 64 bit CPU: i7-4770k @350GHz Ram: 16GB Graphics: Radeon 580 8GB vram Winver 1903...
  9. Encrypting a thumb drive - a simple solution please.

Encrypting a thumb drive - a simple solution please.: I want to encrypt the jpg images and text on a thumb drive to avoid the data falling into wrong hands, a very simple program which I imagine would take each byte in a new version of the file which had been edited, change it via an encryption password to something else...
  10. Encrypting a thumb drive - a simple solution please.

in Windows 10 Support
    Encrypting a thumb drive - a simple solution please.: I want to encrypt the jpg images and text on a thumb drive to avoid the data falling into wrong hands, a very simple program which I imagine would take each byte in a new version of the file which had been edited, change it via an encryption password to something else...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is totallock.exe