Windows 10: Encrypting a thumb drive - a simple solution please.

Discus and support Encrypting a thumb drive - a simple solution please. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I want to encrypt the jpg images and text on a thumb drive to avoid the data falling into wrong hands, a very simple program which I imagine would take... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Stevekir, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Stevekir Win User

Encrypting a thumb drive - a simple solution please.

I want to encrypt the jpg images and text on a thumb drive to avoid the data falling into wrong hands, a very simple program which I imagine would take each byte in a new version of the file which had been edited, change it via an encryption password to something else following a routine, and save that new file on top of the old. I would then later load that file into a companion de-crypting routine to recover the original to use and re-save via encryption. I have a 3.5 GB thumb drive that would be big enough and conveniently portable. My requirements are very simple - no bells or whistles needed.

I have tried several free programs but they either don't work for me or are over-sophisticated and complex. I don't want to encrypt my whole internal documents drive nor a partition in it.

Can anyone suggest a simple solution please?

Thanks.

:)

Stevekir, Jun 28, 2019

2. Can a thumb drive be disabled by malware?

There are quite a few possibilities to what happened to your thumb drive:

1. It might be a simple issue where the partition got corrupted: In this case you can go to Computer Management > Disk Management> and check out what partition your thumb drive currently has. If it currently is in RAW format or is just unallocated, I suggest you unallocate the entire drive and make a new partition. It's possible that you can recover upto 99% of your files with a tool like EaseUS DataRecovery Wizard Pro.
    2. The malware corrupted your thumb drive's firmware: The malware that your thumb drive may have encountered may be similar to something like BadUSB. It may or may not have modified your drive's firmware to transmit malware, but in any case your thumb drive's pretty dead, and there's not much you can do about it.

Don't Root here plz..., Jun 28, 2019
  3. Device Encryption not avaiable

Hello Fraczek,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Are you referring to BitLocker Drive Encryption?
    • What preventing you from doing this?
    • Did you get any error message or code while doing this?

Before you come up with the above information, suggest you to refer the article

Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption
    and see if it help you.

Do refer the article
    Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide
    and check if it help you with the required information.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jun 28, 2019
  4. Encrypting a thumb drive - a simple solution please.

BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee424315(v=ws.10).aspx

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Jun 28, 2019
Thema:

Encrypting a thumb drive - a simple solution please.

1. Encrypting a thumb drive - a simple solution please. - Similar Threads - Encrypting thumb drive

2. eject thumb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    eject thumb drive: Windows 10A thumb drive is plugged in, Explorer is opened, one file is opened, then closed.Explorer is closed.Go to "Show hidden icons" and select Safely remove hardware and eject media -> Eject USB Flash MemoryThe only device shown is the thumb drive just plugged in. Select...
  3. eject thumb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    eject thumb drive: Windows 10A thumb drive is plugged in, Explorer is opened, one file is opened, then closed.Explorer is closed.Go to "Show hidden icons" and select Safely remove hardware and eject media -> Eject USB Flash MemoryThe only device shown is the thumb drive just plugged in. Select...
  4. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  5. Formatting a Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting a Thumb Drive: Just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 and MS Office 365. I tried to format a thumb drive but when I select File Explorer, all I get is a list of files I've recently opened. I do not see the Thumb Drive. Doesn't matter if I select any files in the Recent Folder, I don't see...
  6. Encrypted USB thumb drive is blocked by Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Encrypted USB thumb drive is blocked by Windows Defender: I have Kingston Data Traveler encrypted USB thumb drive and it is blocked byWindows Defender. I enter the passcode, then the thumb drive create a different unencrypted drive but then a see a pop-up>>Please insert a disk into USB drive>> - the new drive isinaccessible. When...
  7. Thumb Drives

Thumb Drives: How do I use a thumb drive to transfer data from Windows 7 to Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumb-drives/8b697fba-9f37-417b-a867-1443e9150438
  8. Encrypting a thumb drive - a simple solution please.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypting a thumb drive - a simple solution please.: I want to encrypt the jpg images and text on a thumb drive to avoid the data falling into wrong hands, a very simple program which I imagine would take each byte in a new version of the file which had been edited, change it via an encryption password to something else...
  9. Encrypted Solution

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypted Solution: I'm looking for an encrypted solution to my system. Please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encrypted-solution/cdcc33e4-3ae4-4a40-bcbf-488853f24116"
  10. thumb drives

thumb drives: Upgraded to windows 10, plugged in a thumb drive but have no idea how to open the drive 27165

Users found this page by searching for:

1. encrypting a thumb drive