Windows 10: Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook?

Discus and support Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use bitlocker with my dell xps windows ten laptop. I also use an old chromebook. So I have a one tb external hard drive that i downloaded lot of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by paulyjustin, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook?

I use bitlocker with my dell xps windows ten laptop. I also use an old chromebook.

So I have a one tb external hard drive that i downloaded lot of videos/files on with the chromebook. Thus after a lot of files, i transfer it to my chromebook by copy and pasting it etc since a chromebook only has so much storage. I only connect it to my chromebook though and not my main dell xps laptop windows ten.

So whenever i connect it to usb port on chromebook, i can access the files. Now how do i encrypt this external hard drive if I only connect it to my chromebook? Do i need to download an encryption program from the google play store? Or do i need to connect it to my windows ten laptop and then encrypt it with say bitlocker? But when i connect the external hard drive to my chromebook, how would it ask me for a bitlocker password then since it doesn't use windows?

:)

paulyjustin, Feb 20, 2021

2. external drive and encryption?

This question is two-fold.

First I would like an external enclosure that is rugged and shock resistant (static electricity and the like, being winter and all) for a 3.5inch SATA drive.
    Barring that, an external drive with the above. What would you guys recommend?

Also, I was wondering, is there a tool to encrypt the entire hard drive, but that does NOT ask to format said encrypted disk? I tried TrueCrypt, and last time I did, it asked me to format the drive because it was not recognized. I know there are alternatives, but I forgot their names. Price is of no concern if it is able to do so. any suggestions? Does Windows not show "drive must be formatted" on TrueCrypt drives anymore?

Best way would be if I plug in the drive, it asks for password automatically or something...

speedy11131, Feb 20, 2021
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Feb 20, 2021
  4. Wynona Win User

Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook?

Can i use windows on a chromebook?

External drives are listed as USB hard drives.

@ paulyjustin Under Storage Devices, it lists USB hard drives and thumb drives. USB hard drives are external drives; I don't think internal hard drives tend to be USB. Here's a copy of what I found at File types and external devices that work on Chromebooks - Chromebook Help

Filesystems
    You can access files on external devices connected to your Chromebook if they use the following types of filesystems:

• FAT (FAT16, FAT32, exFAT)
    • HFS+ (read-only on journaled HFS+)
    • ISO9660 (read-only)
    • MTP
    • NTFS
    • UDF (read-only)

Storage devices
    • USB hard drives and thumb drives
    • USB CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives (read-only)

Remove a storage device safely by clicking Eject
    Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook? -BZuNX4MUF3iUlKSQzI31Rw2_gximxzqLilvFxbKkH5F3ffYmgbu1GsmMbiZK4Ohwnfz=w18-h18.png

Note that under file systems, your drive should be formatted as Fat 32 or NTFS; probably not something strictly Chrome if you want to continue using it with Windows. I'm pretty sure you don't want your stuff read only. Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook? :) From what I see, it doesn't look like a GPT/UEFI formatted drive will work with Chrome.

Wynona, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook?

1. Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook? - Similar Threads - Encrypting External Hard

2. external hard disk drives became unallocated bitlocker encrypted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external hard disk drives became unallocated bitlocker encrypted: Hello.Recently I tried to access data on an old USB stick and IO tried to use Disk Management for it.When I started Disk Management, it gave me an error message and asked to convert a disk to MBR if I remember correctly.I mistakenly assumed it was about the USB stick and I...
  3. Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?: Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?So far I can NOT image the external hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-an-external-hard-drive-that-is-bitlocker/a25432e8-e230-481a-a67d-2d13c1260f17
  4. Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?: Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?So far I can NOT image the external hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-an-external-hard-drive-that-is-bitlocker/a25432e8-e230-481a-a67d-2d13c1260f17
  5. Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Encrypted External Hard Drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Encrypted External Hard Drive.: I have External WD Drive that I encrypted, some hove confused with use of BitLocker. I need the data on the drive but can not access it any more. Any help-solution please.Thank you.MD...
  7. Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook?: I use bitlocker with my dell xps windows ten laptop. I also use an old chromebook. So I have a one tb external hard drive that i downloaded lot of videos/files on with the chromebook. Thus after a lot of files, i transfer it to my chromebook by copy and pasting it etc since...
  8. Using a flash-drive or external hard drive

Using a flash-drive or external hard drive: Recently every time I try to use a flash-drive or an external hard drive, I get this message. I don't have a problem using the logitech wireless adaptor for my mouse/keyboard but when I insert a flash-drive or external hard drive this pops up. [ATTACH]...
  9. External hard disk encryption

External hard disk encryption: Hello I have an encrypted seagate external hard disk by bitlocker. couple of weeks ago my window 10 updated and it's showing error password is incorrect , even though I have not changed it. I have tried recovery key it says same for it. Have tried installing and...
  10. Encrypting a hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encrypting a hard drive: Good day all, I don't even know if this is the correct place to ask this so if anyone has a better place either on this forum or elsewhere I would appreciate it. Basically I know very little about encryption beyond the basics of what it is. What I'm looking for is a program...