Windows 10: Encrypting File System and Certificates

Discus and support Encrypting File System and Certificates in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello I was hoping someone could clearly explain why sharing files encrypted using EFS require Enterprise Certificate Authority? [ATTACH] Cheers... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JulianLeach, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Encrypting File System and Certificates

Hello

I was hoping someone could clearly explain why sharing files encrypted using EFS require Enterprise Certificate Authority?

Encrypting File System and Certificates 3806efa6-abb6-423a-8cf9-63d711e3ddcd?upload=true.png

Cheers

Julian Leach

:)

JulianLeach, Apr 22, 2021

2. Windows 10 Encryption/Decryption of Folders/Files 'Certificate'

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below question.

• Were you able to Encrypt the data?
    • Did you get any error message?
    • What exact issue are you facing with Encryption and Decryption?
    Note: The first time you encrypt a folder or file, an encryption certificate is automatically created. You should back up your encryption certificate.
    If your certificate and key are lost or damaged and you don't have a backup,
    you won't be able to use the files that you have encrypted.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Apr 22, 2021
  3. Cannot Access Encrypted Files After Successfully Importing Encrypting File System (EFS) Certificate

I encrypted a folder and its contents on my Windows 10 system. I then successfully backed-up (export) my EFS certificate to a thumb drive and successfully imported the EFS certificate to a Windows 7 system. I confirmed the EFS certificate did in fact install
    on the Windows 7 system and is located in my Personal | Certificates folder.

However, when I attempt to test the certificate by coping several of the encrypted files from my Windows 10 system to a USB drive and then attempting to open the files on my Windows 7 system, the file will not open. Windows as added a .PFILE file extension
    to each of the documents. It's my understanding the .PFILE indicates a protected file; which would be correct.

I can open the files on the USB drive without any issues on my Windows 10 system. So, I'm confused why I can't open them on my Windows 7 system since I received successful confirmations on my both the export and import of the EFS certificate.

Any suggestions?

Steve_1208, Apr 22, 2021
  4. Encrypting File System and Certificates

How to open recovered encrypted files

Hi Navid,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We understand your concern and we will provide the assistance required to help you resolve the issue.

You can lose access to encrypted files if you install a new operating system or upgrade your current one, or if your current operating system fails. The following steps can help you regain access to encrypted files.

As you have stated that, the recovered files belonged to the previous OS I would suggest that you transfer the encrypted files to an external drive and perform the steps mentioned below:

• Insert the USB that your certificate and key are saved on.
    • Open Certificate Manager open Run Command and type
      certmgr.msc
      in the dialog box, and then press Enter.‌

Note: If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the left pane, click Personal.

• Click the Action menu, point to All Tasks, and then click
      Import. This opens the Certificate Import wizard
      and then click Next.
    • Click Browse and navigate to the file's location, click
      Open, and then click Next.
    • If you have navigated to the right location but don't see the certificate you are importing, then, in the list next to the
      File name box, click Personal Information Exchange.
    • Type the password, select the Mark this key as exportable check box, and then click
      Next.
    • Click Place all certificates in the following store, confirm that the
      Personal store is indicated, click Next, and then click
      Finish.
    • After you import the certificate, you should have access to the encrypted files.

Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Apr 22, 2021
Thema:

Encrypting File System and Certificates

1. Encrypting File System and Certificates - Similar Threads - Encrypting File System

2. Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....: Hello! I used to have a laptop and I sold it about two years ago. Before I sold it I moved my files to an external drive. The files were encrypted now I'm trying to access them on another pc but they're locked. Note: I was using my Microsoft Account when I did the encryption...
  3. Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....: Hello! I used to have a laptop and I sold it about two years ago. Before I sold it I moved my files to an external drive. The files were encrypted now I'm trying to access them on another pc but they're locked. Note: I was using my Microsoft Account when I did the encryption...
  4. Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Typo in encryption certificate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Typo in encryption certificate: Hi all,When I entered the certificate dates when encrypting a folder I typed the wrong year in the to date. I have certmgr open right now and the Cert Details General tab show it is valid from 1/7/2022 to 12/14/2021, so it was expired from the get go. I'm trying to decrypt...
  6. Encryption Certificates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Encryption Certificates: When I access an application that requires certificates I am only offered one, although in ActiveClient I can see there are four in my profile. How can I get Windows 10 to offer all my certificates?...
  7. Decryption of an encrypted file without certificate.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Decryption of an encrypted file without certificate.: I wanted to format my device since it was a lagging and I was lazy to clean off all the apps, so I simply formatted it and updated it to the new windows 21H1. I was previously on 20H2, and I had some compressed files, which I added a password to encrypted and before...
  8. Random files deleted, Encrypting File System certificate created

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Random files deleted, Encrypting File System certificate created: Hi all, so TLDR: Files randomly deleted (maybe somehow hidden?) at around 16:39 today. Here's some of the info: Windows version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 Microsoft Visual Studio 2019, Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, Android Emulator were all running when this...
  9. Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10: How to: Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10 How to Import Your EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key in Windows 10 [img] Information The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and...
  10. Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10: How to: Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10 How to Back Up Your EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key in Windows 10 [img] Information The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and...