Windows 10: Encrypting File System EFS and Windows Hello

Discus and support Encrypting File System EFS and Windows Hello in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Does anyone know how EFS certificates are secured when using Windows Hello with an account? I was under the impression that the EFS private key was... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by AshokP_, Jan 4, 2020.

1. AshokP_ Win User

Encrypting File System EFS and Windows Hello

Does anyone know how EFS certificates are secured when using Windows Hello with an account? I was under the impression that the EFS private key was secured by encrypting it with the password. However on an account with Windows Hello enabled, logging in using Windows Hello using biometrics instead of the password still allows you to access EFS encrypted files. I was expecting that the first time I logged in, I would have needed the password and only then onward I should have been able to unlock the session using Windows Hello.

:)

AshokP_, Jan 4, 2020

2. Win 10 pro EFS Encrypting File System Problem (Dell)

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

I suggest you to start the Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Search for Encrypting File System (EFS) Service.
    • Double click on Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and click on
      Start button.
    • Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to
      Automatic.
    If the issue still persists then, I suggest you to post the same question in TechNet forum for further assistance with this issue. Follow the below link to post your question in TechNet forum.

Technet forums

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jan 4, 2020
  3. Meisha Win User
    Confused about EFS encryption

EFS encryption has never been anything but trouble for me (and probably for most people), and I would love to be able to turn it off completely. I followed the steps on this page:
    Disable Auto Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders in Windows and I'm wondering how free I am from encryption now. The note says the system will still encrypt when copying files, and I'm only safe from encryption when moving files. I'm not sure if that means my system will continue to encrypt a file every time I copy it, or if I'll be free of the problem now. Could anyone please tell me in which circumstances my system will continue to encrypt my files? Thank you for your help!

Meisha, Jan 4, 2020
  4. Encrypting File System EFS and Windows Hello

Cannot Access Encrypted Files After Successfully Importing Encrypting File System (EFS) Certificate

I encrypted a folder and its contents on my Windows 10 system. I then successfully backed-up (export) my EFS certificate to a thumb drive and successfully imported the EFS certificate to a Windows 7 system. I confirmed the EFS certificate did in fact install
    on the Windows 7 system and is located in my Personal | Certificates folder.

However, when I attempt to test the certificate by coping several of the encrypted files from my Windows 10 system to a USB drive and then attempting to open the files on my Windows 7 system, the file will not open. Windows as added a .PFILE file extension
    to each of the documents. It's my understanding the .PFILE indicates a protected file; which would be correct.

I can open the files on the USB drive without any issues on my Windows 10 system. So, I'm confused why I can't open them on my Windows 7 system since I received successful confirmations on my both the export and import of the EFS certificate.

Any suggestions?

Steve_1208, Jan 4, 2020
Thema:

Encrypting File System EFS and Windows Hello

1. Encrypting File System EFS and Windows Hello - Similar Threads - Encrypting File System

2. Recovering EFS encrypted files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovering EFS encrypted files?: My Windows Laptop recently was damaged and I've had to replace it with a new similar machine. I am trying to recover some files from the original broken machine which are unfortunately not recently backed-up. Since the SSD C: drive from the old machine is undamaged and fully...
  3. Recovering EFS encrypted files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering EFS encrypted files?: My Windows Laptop recently was damaged and I've had to replace it with a new similar machine. I am trying to recover some files from the original broken machine which are unfortunately not recently backed-up. Since the SSD C: drive from the old machine is undamaged and fully...
  4. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  5. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  6. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. copying EFS files encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    copying EFS files encrypted files: Hello,i am studying for the md-100 exam and came across this posthttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-copying-moving-files/a013bd25-fca9-475c-a4aa-15b8e2de3b51Here it states that any user can move encrypted files on the same drive.However ik tested this...
  8. Encrypting File System EFS BackUp question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypting File System EFS BackUp question: Before you encrypt anything important, A.you should back up your file recovery certificate and your B.personal encryption certificate with their associated private keys, C.as well as the data recovery agent certificate to a USB flash drive UFD. Store the UFD in a secure...
  9. Encryption File System EFS decryption issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encryption File System EFS decryption issue: Hello everyone, I have a huge problem and i need help. Windows encrypted my files with EFS and bit locker for the hard drive. I had to restore my computer after i noticed malicious program was running and causing problems. I was unable to restore from a known good point so...
  10. Question about Windows Encrypting File System (EFS)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Question about Windows Encrypting File System (EFS): Hi I've been playing around with EFS but I cannot currently test this one thing that popped to my mind. I have a laptop with an SSD (Local disk C:\) and a HD (Local disk D:\). Windows installed on SSD, personal files kept on HD. Windows is protected with a user account with...