Windows 10: Encrypting or Decryption Files or Folders From Context Menu

Discus and support Encrypting or Decryption Files or Folders From Context Menu in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; NOTE: This discussion applies to users of Windows 10 Pro only! By default, in any window of File Explorer, you can encrypt or decrypt a file or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Michael Higham, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Encrypting or Decryption Files or Folders From Context Menu

NOTE: This discussion applies to users of Windows 10 Pro only!

By default, in any window of File Explorer, you can encrypt or decrypt a file or folder by right-clicking it, clicking Properties, and then clicking Advanced. However, it is easy to encrypt or decrypt from a context menu without accessing the file or folder properties as usual.

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious, system-

wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows 10 to correct

them. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the

use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.

To add Encrypt on the right-click of a file or folder:

1. Press WINDOWS LOGO + R.

2. Type regedit and press ENTER.

3. Type in the address bar and press ENTER:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

4. Right-click Advanced, point to New, and then click DWORD Value (32-bit).

5. Type EncryptionContextMenu and press ENTER.

6. Double-click EncryptionContextMenu and type 1 and then press ENTER.

7. Close Registry Editor.

Users can also rely on BitLocker if they use Windows 10 Pro. However, if users run Windows 10 Home, they can download a third-party application from the Internet that uses file or folder encryption.

:)

Michael Higham, Sep 2, 2019

2. Windows 10 Encryption/Decryption of Folders/Files 'Certificate'

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below question.

• Were you able to Encrypt the data?
    • Did you get any error message?
    • What exact issue are you facing with Encryption and Decryption?
    Note: The first time you encrypt a folder or file, an encryption certificate is automatically created. You should back up your encryption certificate.
    If your certificate and key are lost or damaged and you don't have a backup,
    you won't be able to use the files that you have encrypted.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Sep 2, 2019
  3. Decrypt Encrypted Files and folders Backed up from Win 7 to Win 10

Hi Dania,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

Do you remember how did you encrypt those files in Windows 7?

I appreciate your efforts and time. Sorry to know that the issue persists.

If you have not tried decrypting using a encryption key, then I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Encrypt or decrypt a folder or file: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/encrypt-decrypt-folder-file#1TC=windows-7

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Sep 2, 2019
  4. ErvSch Win User

Encrypting or Decryption Files or Folders From Context Menu

Cannot decrypt folder but files and sub-folders contained do decrypt

Hi Paola,

Thank you for your interest in this problem.

• Which encryption software did you use to encrypt the files?

All of the encryption done was using EFS in Windows 10 Pro.
    • How did you encrypt the files?

The files were encrypted by selecting a folder in File Explorer then right clicking to choose Properties, pressing the Advanced button to the Advanced Attributes screen then checking the box: "Encrypt contents to secure data." Then pressing “OK”
      back to Properties, “OK” again to the Confirm Attribute Changes, select "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files," and OK once more. The encryption then proceeds and all subfolders and files are encrypted. The files were then decrypted by much
      the same process but rather unselecting the "Encrypt contents to secure data" box. This decrypted all the contained files, but the folder and all subfolders remained encrypted. After this the contained files could not again be encrypted by encrypting the
      folder because the "Encrypt contents to secure data" box for the folder was already checked.
    • How are you able to verify that the files inside the encrypted folders were already decrypted?

By selecting a file and again choosing Properties / Advanced to observe whether the box: "Encrypt contents to secure data" was or was not checked.

ErvSch, Sep 2, 2019
Thema:

Encrypting or Decryption Files or Folders From Context Menu

1. Encrypting or Decryption Files or Folders From Context Menu - Similar Threads - Encrypting Decryption Files

2. Decrypt files encrypted with Bitlocker with key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Decrypt files encrypted with Bitlocker with key: Good afternoon!I have a problem, I have a backup folder in an external disk, from a drive in my computer with Windows 11 and bitlocker are activated, I made a restoration of my computer and now I can´t access to these files, I have the keys of bitlocker, but I don´t know...
  3. Encryption/Decryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encryption/Decryption: I encrypted some files in Windows 7 using EFS. The computer was formatted to install Windows 10 and those files won't open now. I tried to decrypt them by using the PFX file, cipher command, and setting permissions but they couldn't decrypt the files. They were unable to show...
  4. Encryption/ Decryption

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encryption/ Decryption: I encrypted some files in Windows 7 using EFS. The computer was formatted to install Windows 10 and those files won't open now. I tried to decrypt them by using the PFX file, cipher command, and setting permissions but they couldn't decrypt the files. They were unable to show...
  5. File Encryption and Decryption Problem

File Encryption and Decryption Problem: So recently, i faced issues with my windows laptop, i decided to do a complete backup of all my files and then reset the laptop. My laptop had encrypted most of the files which i only realised after having reset everything. Now, i cant grant ownershipt of the files nor modify...
  6. encryption and decryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    encryption and decryption: Hi, I want to encrypt photos for storage. I have many choice of software to do that , but my point or question is: In say 20 years, I will have changed computer , or my computer will be 20 years old, and I may not have updated or upgraded the original software that I...
  7. Regarding encryption and decryption of my files

Regarding encryption and decryption of my files: I have actually encrypted few files in my old windows 10 pc and unknowingly i have deleted its certificatekey but i had my onedrive account in that old pc while encrypting and i can't decrypt the files in my new PC Is there any possible way to decrypt my files please it...
  8. How Decrypt, Encrypt file?

How Decrypt, Encrypt file?: I saved my Photos in D:Drive. And Encrypt same personal photos by this way{Choose a photo->Right click on it->then properties->Advances option in General->Then choose "Encrypt file to secure data"}. But now I can't open my encrypted photos. And can't Decrypt it. So Please...
  9. How to decrypt EFS encrypted Files and Folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to decrypt EFS encrypted Files and Folders in Windows 10: [ATTACH] The EFS or Encrypting File System is a component of the legendary NTFS (New Technology File System). It is available on Windows 2000, Windows XP Professional (Not Home Basic), Windows Server 2003 and newer operating system iterations from Microsoft. It [...] This...
  10. Encrypt/Decrypt Context menu for Creators Update?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Encrypt/Decrypt Context menu for Creators Update?: I used to use the following very helpful tweak since Win7 to enable a encrypt/decrypt context menu in the file explorer prior to the creators update: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced] "EncryptionContextMenu"=dword:00000001...