Windows 10: Encrypting the Windows System Disk - good idea or not?

Discus and support Encrypting the Windows System Disk - good idea or not? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi folks! Simple question really. Currently re-building my desktop PC and aiming for Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) dual-booting with Linux Mint on a 240GB... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ArthurDent, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Encrypting the Windows System Disk - good idea or not?

Hi folks!

Simple question really.

Currently re-building my desktop PC and aiming for

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) dual-booting with Linux Mint on a 240GB SSD.

A separate 5TB hard disk for data storage.

Not sure about how to set this up - partitioned as two separate drives one for Windows documents (and encrypted) and one for Linux documents (not sure whether to encrypt this or not). Any advice/suggestions welcome on this.

A third laptop hard disk for data security (copying any docs/files etc from the Windows data drive only).

Question is this.

Should the bootable system disk containing Windows 10 Pro be encrypted or not? If yes - can you suggest a suitable (& free) encryption solution.

Should the Linux partition also be encrypted - is it necessary and/or will it cause any conflict being dual-booted with Windows?

Thanks,

Art

:)

ArthurDent, Jun 30, 2020
  2. JimWynne Win User

Encrypted Disk

What good would encryption be if all you had to do to defeat it was copy the files? You copied files that were encrypted, and there is no way to decrypt them without the key.

JimWynne, Jun 30, 2020
  3. Windows XP file encryption

LOL thanks, I think its standard windows XP file encryption

troyrae360, Jun 30, 2020
  4. modder Win User

Encrypting the Windows System Disk - good idea or not?

Software encryption

read this:
    The Encrypting File System (EFS) is a file system driver with filesystem-level encryption available in Microsoft Windows (2000 and later) operating systems, except Windows XP Home Edition, Windows Vista Basic, and Windows Vista Home Premium. The technology transparently allows files to be encrypted on NTFS file systems to protect confidential data from attackers with physical access to the computer.

User authentication and access control lists can protect files from unauthorized access while the operating system is running, but are easily circumvented if an attacker gains physical access to the computer. One solution is to store the files encrypted on the disks of the computer. EFS does this using public key cryptography, and aims to ensure that decrypting the files is in theory impossible without the correct key. However, EFS is in practice susceptible to brute-force attacks against the user account passwords. In other words, encryption of files is only as strong as the password to unlock the decryption key.

read more ...wikipedia Encrypting File System - Wikipedia

modder, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

Encrypting the Windows System Disk - good idea or not?

1. Encrypting the Windows System Disk - good idea or not? - Similar Threads - Encrypting System Disk

2. how to decrypt the disk encrypted with Bitlocker for good

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to decrypt the disk encrypted with Bitlocker for good: Hi.I have a very important issue. I wanted to use my disk with my friend's professional computer. We couldn't save any files on it without encrypting it with BitLocker. We weren't aware of what this software is so we did it... And now I can't run this disk on my Mac computer....
  3. how to decrypt the disk encrypted with Bitlocker for good

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to decrypt the disk encrypted with Bitlocker for good: Hi.I have a very important issue. I wanted to use my disk with my friend's professional computer. We couldn't save any files on it without encrypting it with BitLocker. We weren't aware of what this software is so we did it... And now I can't run this disk on my Mac computer....
  4. how to decrypt the disk encrypted with Bitlocker for good

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. External Windows 10 test drive, good idea?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External Windows 10 test drive, good idea?: As a Mac technician, I found it very useful to boot from an external macOS test volume, best on an SSD. What about trying this for PCs too? I thought I may install Windows 10 on an external SSD on each machine I need to test (since driver incompatibility wouldnt allow a...
  6. Is it a good idea to install the latest update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it a good idea to install the latest update?: I paused my updates a while back and forgot to unpause them. I am still running on the 2/11/2020 update. Should I install the latest cumulative update of just the latest security patches? In case it matters, this is a gaming pc. submitted by /u/Turboyoshi0406 [link]...
  7. Is Britic's Security TRICK a good idea?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is Britic's Security TRICK a good idea?: Greetings, I've learned a lot at these forums. Thanks to all you veteran users tolerating a Windows to Mac SWITCHER. I've also learned a lot of British YouTuber Britec. He has a bit of advice here that I find interesting. That you not use your Admin account but instead a...
  8. disk encryption

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    disk encryption: i have encrypted my usb drive using bitlocker. but it wont open using the password and the recovery key. how can i decrypt it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-encryption/f881c6c3-b809-4c51-ac4b-d3ec9d79fcce
  9. resizing a partition -is it a good idea?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    resizing a partition -is it a good idea?: i have come across a program that can resize a new partition when if the primary disk is too full. and wondering how would resizing a partition benefit me in the long run? -not to say iam running low in memory, but "just in case"*Nerd 71887
  10. 10 on an oldies laptop. Good idea?

in Windows 10 Support
    10 on an oldies laptop. Good idea?: I've had to fix the mother in laws windows 7 laptop which was in a right state. I've installed the 10 technical preview and it runs sweet, found all drivers, easy peasy. No waiting forever to download updates.......boots faster etc. When it comes to windows 10...