Windows 10: Encryption Certificates

Discus and support Encryption Certificates in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I access an application that requires certificates I am only offered one, although in ActiveClient I can see there are four in my profile. How can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Mike Baker1947, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Encryption Certificates

When I access an application that requires certificates I am only offered one, although in ActiveClient I can see there are four in my profile. How can I get Windows 10 to offer all my certificates?

:)

Mike Baker1947, Jun 30, 2021

2. Windows 10 Encryption/Decryption of Folders/Files 'Certificate'

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below question.

• Were you able to Encrypt the data?
    • Did you get any error message?
    • What exact issue are you facing with Encryption and Decryption?
    Note: The first time you encrypt a folder or file, an encryption certificate is automatically created. You should back up your encryption certificate.
    If your certificate and key are lost or damaged and you don't have a backup,
    you won't be able to use the files that you have encrypted.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jun 30, 2021
  3. How to open recovered encrypted files

Hi Navid,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We understand your concern and we will provide the assistance required to help you resolve the issue.

You can lose access to encrypted files if you install a new operating system or upgrade your current one, or if your current operating system fails. The following steps can help you regain access to encrypted files.

As you have stated that, the recovered files belonged to the previous OS I would suggest that you transfer the encrypted files to an external drive and perform the steps mentioned below:

• Insert the USB that your certificate and key are saved on.
    • Open Certificate Manager open Run Command and type
      certmgr.msc
      in the dialog box, and then press Enter.‌

Note: If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the left pane, click Personal.

• Click the Action menu, point to All Tasks, and then click
      Import. This opens the Certificate Import wizard
      and then click Next.
    • Click Browse and navigate to the file's location, click
      Open, and then click Next.
    • If you have navigated to the right location but don't see the certificate you are importing, then, in the list next to the
      File name box, click Personal Information Exchange.
    • Type the password, select the Mark this key as exportable check box, and then click
      Next.
    • Click Place all certificates in the following store, confirm that the
      Personal store is indicated, click Next, and then click
      Finish.
    • After you import the certificate, you should have access to the encrypted files.

Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Jun 30, 2021
  4. DMGJM Win User

Encryption Certificates

Windows 10 Encryption Backing Up the Certificate

Windows 10 Encryption.

My problem is when I try to backup the Certificate Key to an external drive as is recommended by Microsoft. ("Backup your file certificate key...")

The Certificate Export Wizard pops up.

I click NEXT.

The default display is for a .pfx file (which I assume is the default Certificate format when I encrypted the document).

I click NEXT.

Asks for a password and confirm password.

I complete the password step and click NEXT.

THEN THE PROBLEM

It asks for a "file name" for "File to Export.... Specify the name of the file you want to export"

I DON'T KNOW THE FILE NAME FOR THE CERTIFICATE.

The Certificate was automatically generated when I encrypted the file - it did not tell me what the certificate name is or where it is stored.

When I click the browse button, it is looking for a .pfx file but to perform the search I am required to click on every single subfolder individually to search for the .pfx file. It is not in the documents folder fyi.

How do I find the Certificate .pfx file in order to export it?

DMGJM, Jun 30, 2021
Thema:

Encryption Certificates

1. Encryption Certificates - Similar Threads - Encryption Certificates

2. When I use EFS encryption, why don't I see a EFS encryption Certificate notice. How do I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I use EFS encryption, why don't I see a EFS encryption Certificate notice. How do I...: HP Allinone Win 10 22H2 STANDARD USERWhen I use EFS encryption, the lock symbol appears on the files but I don't get the predicted notice about backing up the EFS encryption Certificate and key or a system tray icon for that. certmgr.msc doesn't show an EFS certificate. How...
  3. When I use EFS encryption, why don't I see a EFS encryption Certificate notice. How do I...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I use EFS encryption, why don't I see a EFS encryption Certificate notice. How do I...: HP Allinone Win 10 22H2 STANDARD USERWhen I use EFS encryption, the lock symbol appears on the files but I don't get the predicted notice about backing up the EFS encryption Certificate and key or a system tray icon for that. certmgr.msc doesn't show an EFS certificate. How...
  4. When I use EFS encryption, why don't I see a EFS encryption Certificate notice. How do I...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key: Hi,Is it normal behaviour on Windows 11 to be prompted to "Backup file encryption certificate and key" after resetting a local user account password?BitLocker is disables for the disk on this device....
  6. Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key

Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key: Hi,Is it normal behaviour on Windows 11 to be prompted to "Backup file encryption certificate and key" after resetting a local user account password?BitLocker is disables for the disk on this device....
  7. Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....: Hello! I used to have a laptop and I sold it about two years ago. Before I sold it I moved my files to an external drive. The files were encrypted now I'm trying to access them on another pc but they're locked. Note: I was using my Microsoft Account when I did the encryption...
  8. Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....: Hello! I used to have a laptop and I sold it about two years ago. Before I sold it I moved my files to an external drive. The files were encrypted now I'm trying to access them on another pc but they're locked. Note: I was using my Microsoft Account when I did the encryption...
  9. Encrypting file system the certificate or key is not available for export on this machine....

10. Unable to access EFS Encrypted Folder even though "current user" has Certificate and Key.

Unable to access EFS Encrypted Folder even though "current user" has Certificate and Key.: Hello Team. I have a Windows 10 pc with a folder that contains photos and videos and was encrypted a year ago, the files were accessible until december when i was asked to set up windows hello and a "Pin" to enter windows after the windows 10 22H2 System Update.After the...