Windows 10: Encryption File System EFS decryption issue

Discus and support Encryption File System EFS decryption issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have a huge problem and i need help. Windows encrypted my files with EFS and bit locker for the hard drive. I had to restore my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Raphael.Rottler, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Encryption File System EFS decryption issue

Hello everyone,

I have a huge problem and i need help. Windows encrypted my files with EFS and bit locker for the hard drive. I had to restore my computer after i noticed malicious program was running and causing problems. I was unable to restore from a known good point so i had to do a clean install. Most of what i needed was able to be restored, but i have a ton of file that are locked and denies access to my files. Now i am unable to access them which is a problem. I am using the same machine as before, and I have ran out of ideas on how to restore all files.

:)

Raphael.Rottler, Jan 20, 2020
  2. Ernie San Win User

Decrypt files encrypted with efs system

Hello,

For better assistance, we recommend posting your concern to our IT Professionals on this
    link.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Regards.

Ernie San, Jan 20, 2020
  3. viscgian Win User
    Decrypt files encrypted with efs system

Hi,

on my Workstation at office I've encrypted some files with efs system on Windows 8.1.

Then I've transfered these files on a share on our fileserver.

Several time after this, my Workstation crash so i run a clean install of Windows 10. My Workstation was connected on AD when on Windows 8.1 and it's connected on the same AD now. I've got always the identical AD account to connect on my pc and to connect
    to shared folders.

But now when I'm trying to open encrypted files, it's says me that I haven't access to these files.

I can't find my key file to decrypt them. But I suppose there is a method to decrypt them if I crypt them with AD account and I'm trying to open them with the same identically account.

Could you help me?

viscgian, Jan 20, 2020
  4. Encryption File System EFS decryption issue

Win 10 pro EFS Encrypting File System Problem (Dell)

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

I suggest you to start the Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Search for Encrypting File System (EFS) Service.
    • Double click on Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and click on
      Start button.
    • Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to
      Automatic.
    If the issue still persists then, I suggest you to post the same question in TechNet forum for further assistance with this issue. Follow the below link to post your question in TechNet forum.

Technet forums

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

Encryption File System EFS decryption issue

1. Encryption File System EFS decryption issue - Similar Threads - Encryption File System

2. Question about Windows Encrypting File System (EFS)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Question about Windows Encrypting File System (EFS): Hi I've been playing around with EFS but I cannot currently test this one thing that popped to my mind. I have a laptop with an SSD (Local disk C:\) and a HD (Local disk D:\). Windows installed on SSD, personal files kept on HD. Windows is protected with a user account with...
  3. Encrypting File System EFS and Windows Hello

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Encrypting File System EFS and Windows Hello: Does anyone know how EFS certificates are secured when using Windows Hello with an account? I was under the impression that the EFS private key was secured by encrypting it with the password. However on an account with Windows Hello enabled, logging in using Windows Hello...
  4. Error decrypting a file or accessing an encrypted file

Error decrypting a file or accessing an encrypted file: hello, I have a problem with some files on my PC, the files are encrypted with a windows certificate, few days ago I was able to open the file and access them, now I can not access those files. although I have the permission and the certificate is installed [ATTACH]...
  5. How Decrypt, Encrypt file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How Decrypt, Encrypt file?: I saved my Photos in D:Drive. And Encrypt same personal photos by this way{Choose a photo->Right click on it->then properties->Advances option in General->Then choose "Encrypt file to secure data"}. But now I can't open my encrypted photos. And can't Decrypt it. So Please...
  6. Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key: I had a windows 7 laptop in which I had stored all the photographs EFS encrypted, without really knowing how it helps or otherwise. I stored these important files in an external hard disk. Subsequently, the laptop stopped working and I have trashed it and bought a new laptop...
  7. How to decrypt EFS encrypted Files and Folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to decrypt EFS encrypted Files and Folders in Windows 10: [ATTACH] The EFS or Encrypting File System is a component of the legendary NTFS (New Technology File System). It is available on Windows 2000, Windows XP Professional (Not Home Basic), Windows Server 2003 and newer operating system iterations from Microsoft. It [...] This...
  8. How to encrypt files with EFS Encryption on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to encrypt files with EFS Encryption on Windows 10: [ATTACH] EFS Encryption is present in Windows OS out of the box. It is shipped together with BitLocker encryption that is also shipped out of the box. Though they work in the same manner, the main difference between the two is [...] This post How to encrypt files with EFS...
  9. Backup the EFS encryption key file

Backup the EFS encryption key file: Yesterday I installed OneDrive app and linked it to my office 365 enterprise University account. Since then, every time I turn on my pc, I receive a warning about backup of the encryption key from EFS application. But I have never used bitlocker. I did some search online and...
  10. Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10: How to: Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10 How to Decrypt Files and Folders Encrypted with EFS in Windows 10 The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on NTFS drives to protect them from...