Windows 10: Encryption Password change

Discus and support Encryption Password change in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I read that if a folder is encrypted and I change my login password, then I can't login to that folder anymore. I was testing that on my folder, I did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KasperKyd, Sep 29, 2015.

1. KasperKyd Win User

Encryption Password change

I read that if a folder is encrypted and I change my login password, then I can't login to that folder anymore. I was testing that on my folder, I did encrypt it, now it's green, I went and changed my password and login again, but I still can access my encrypted folder.

Is that normal or I'm doing something wrong with encryption?

:)

KasperKyd, Sep 29, 2015

2. CANNOT USE ENHANCED BITLOCKER PIN

Hello,

I am having problem with creating complex passwords while activating BitLocker drive encryption at win10.

It only lets me to put numeric password but I want to use complex password with characters, letters and symbols.

I already enabled

- "System cryptography: Use FIPS compliant algorithms for encryption, hashing, and signing”

- "Choose drive encryption method and cipher strength"

- "Allow Enhanced PINs For Startup"

policies before I start encryption but nothing changed. Is there a way to use complex passwords?

Emre.Bayram, Sep 29, 2015
  3. Bitlocker TPM only authentication question

I have Windows 10 pro systems and I am testing out bitlocker with TPM only, no pin. Is the drive encrypted still before I put in my Windows password? I ask this because I wonder if the drive is still susceptible to any password reset tricks, such as
    changing the accessibility program to command prompt, which can give them access to change the password? What if this OS encrypted drive was setup as a slave on this machine from which it was encrypted, would the tpm authenticate it and allow it to be read?
    Curious.

BobBoklewski, Sep 29, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello KasperKyd, *Smile

If you change your own password, you'll still be able to access your EFS encrypted files/folders.

If your password was changed by another administrator, then you will no longer be able to access them.

Brink, Sep 29, 2015
  5. KasperKyd Win User
    Awesome again Brink
    Thanks 10x

KasperKyd, Sep 29, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 29, 2015
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    If you reinstall the OS you would loose access to encrypted files. Even an account created with the exact same name and password would have no access. Restoring a previously backed up certificate would solve this.

LMiller7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Encryption Password change - Similar Threads - Encryption Password change

2. Encrypt contents to secure data not prompting for password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encrypt contents to secure data not prompting for password: When trying to encrypt a folder using the "encrypt contents to secure data" option with Windows 10 Pro, it does not prompt me for a password when I go back to open the folder. Though the folder shows a lock on it, it just opens up like all the other folders without prompting...
  3. Encrypt contents to secure data not prompting for password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypt contents to secure data not prompting for password: When trying to encrypt a folder using the "encrypt contents to secure data" option with Windows 10 Pro, it does not prompt me for a password when I go back to open the folder. Though the folder shows a lock on it, it just opens up like all the other folders without prompting...
  4. encrypt a file with a password

encrypt a file with a password: What's the best way to encrypt a file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encrypt-a-file-with-a-password/20fe0fe8-8a09-4094-9d20-a839cfd9bffd
  5. Change encryption method with PowerShell

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change encryption method with PowerShell: Hi guys, As the title says, is it possible to change the already in place encryption with a PowerShell script that might say: decypher -> change to AES-256 -> Enable? I have around 900 devices that have been encrypted with default and now ITSec want's to change the...
  6. encrypt password files

encrypt password files: Hello. I have downloaded a Zip File from the internet and i want to extract it, but then come a window: ,,This file is password protectet, enter password''. I dont know the passwort! Please help me! Thanks, Andre...
  7. Bitlocker encrypted drive not prompting for password

Bitlocker encrypted drive not prompting for password: I have a bitlocker encrypted file named myfile.vhd. On my PC when I double click it, it warns that it's encrypted, then prompts for a password. I copied the file to my wife's computer and when I double click it, or right click and select "Mount" from the context menu a...
  8. Wifi Password is always encrypted?

Wifi Password is always encrypted?: Hello, I am trying to recover my Wifi Password that's saved on my Windows 10 computer. I see every single tutorial in the universe tells me to open Wireless Properties. However, when I open the security options and select "show characters" the password suddenly changes to...
  9. Macrium Reflect Password/Encrypt: Yes/No?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect Password/Encrypt: Yes/No?: In the 1 in a million (at least) chance that I get nailed for ransomware (with Norton and paid Malwarebytes running), I thought I was protected having images stored on an external drive. But I guess you could increase those odds and say the attack came when the drive was...
  10. Reflect image password protection and encryption...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Reflect image password protection and encryption...: Licensed Macrium Reflect v.7.1.2885 on Windows 10 Professional, 64-bits... The system has three drives for different purposes, such as system, business and personal data. Yes, a dual purpose small business PC... The current schedule creates a full image of all of the...