Windows 10: Encryption: Which App To Use?

Discus and support Encryption: Which App To Use? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hey guys, I don't mean to be a pest as I know this is an extremely busy forum, but I need some help. So, I want to make my HDD's more secure by... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by NiceAndShy, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Encryption: Which App To Use?

Hey guys, I don't mean to be a pest as I know this is an extremely busy forum, but I need some help.

So, I want to make my HDD's more secure by using encryption. I've been using Truecrypt and it's perfect for me, but everyone keeps telling me I need to move onto another encryption method because Truecrypt is no longer supported.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro and I've used Bitlocker a couple times to encrypt external HDD's, but how does it work if I encrypt a HDD like an external or internal HDD using Microsoft Bitlocker? If I connect a Mac to it, how could the Mac decrypt it?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post!

:)

NiceAndShy, Oct 28, 2016
  2. BrunoNova Win User

Universal apps cannot access EFS encrypted files?

The "Windows apps troubleshooter" didn't solve the problem.

Let me reiterate the issue:

It seems Universal Apps cannot access files that were encrypted using EFS (right-click > Properties > Advanced > "Encrypt (...)").

They can access normal files with no problem.

Just for testing, I created another admin account in the system, logged in with it (without logout out from my account), then tried to access my encrypted Pictures folder.

I could see and enter all sub-folders without a problem, but I couldn't access the encrypted files themselves (which is good for security).

I don't know the architecture of UWP, but maybe the process that actually accesses the files is running under a different user? That could explain why the Photos app can't see the encrypted pictures.

Do you see any solution for this (besides not encrypting the files)?

BrunoNova, Oct 28, 2016
  3. GordonB-P Win User
    Encrypting Win10 hard drive

Firstly it's a very good idea to encrypt your drive as a matter of course. If you lose your laptop or it gets stolen, then even if you have a strong user account password, there are still relatively simple ways to extract your data.

Secondly, if your Laptop comes with Windows 10 Pro, then it will have Bitlocker included, with which you can seamlessly encrypt your drive - you won't know it's even there in terms of using your computer.

There are third-party apps which will allow you to encrypt just one folder - to be honest, I don't see the point when you can encrypt the whole drive...

GordonB-P, Oct 28, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Encryption: Which App To Use?

First thing to be aware of is that Mac OS X doesn't have native NTFS support, at least up to Mavericks version, haven't checked the latest 2, El Capitan or Sierra. And I haven't found a decent third-party software, so I store all the files I want to share between Windows, Mac OS X and Linux on a NAS drive attached to my Router by Ethernet cable. Second thing is any encryption software would have to be cross-platform, work on the OSes desired. A demonstration of cross-platform support would be having the free LibreOffice installed on the 3 I mentioned, work fine for me in their commonality.

Berton, Oct 28, 2016
  5. Thanks so much for your reply!

Would it be better for me to just create encrypted containers instead of encrypting the entire HDD?

NiceAndShy, Oct 31, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    That's the way I'd go as encrypting the whole drive would cause loss of everything if there were problems.

If concerned by loss of critical data it would be good to use an External USB HDD to store and stash away somewhere secure such as in one of the fire-resistant lockboxes like Sentry, a safe or a bank safety deposit box.
    | Sentry® Safe | Home Safes Business Safes Gun Safes Data Safes Auto Safes

Berton, Oct 31, 2016
  7. Wow, thanks for your brilliant ideas!

Are there any other downsides of encrypting the whole drive? It seems like creating encrypted containers is much better...?

NiceAndShy, Oct 31, 2016
  8. Encryption: Which App To Use?

It also seems to take much more time to encrypt the whole drive compared to creating encrypted containers so are there any advantages to encrypting the whole drive?

NiceAndShy, Nov 24, 2016
  9. D4ni3l Win User
    D4ni3l, Nov 24, 2016
  10. Winuser Win User
    I second VeraCrypt. I can't answer your question about a whole drive because I never did it.

Winuser, Nov 24, 2016
  11. Can anyone confirm if Veracrypt is a safe to use? How can I check if it's a reputable app that doesn't contain malicious code? This is important because I'd be storing my most sensitive personal files in Veracrypt...

NiceAndShy, Nov 27, 2016
  12. D4ni3l Win User
    we can never be sure but Veracrypt is open source
    and the source code is published on well known site veracrypt/VeraCrypt

D4ni3l, Nov 27, 2016
  13. Encryption: Which App To Use?

Thanks!

Be great if there was a list of apps that were considered safe by the experts on tenforums.com's community.

NiceAndShy, Dec 9, 2016
  14. Steve C Win User
    Nothing is really safe - government security organisations have a very long reach.

Steve C, Dec 9, 2016
  15. How can I protect myself from installing apps that contain malicious code?

NiceAndShy, Dec 15, 2016
Thema:

Encryption: Which App To Use?

1. Encryption: Which App To Use? - Similar Threads - Encryption App

2. My PC is Bitlocker encrypted and I read that the only way to fix it is to re-install...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC is Bitlocker encrypted and I read that the only way to fix it is to re-install...: I was given a used PC that was Bitlocker encrypted, and neither of us have the Bitlocker password. It won't let me wipe the entire PC, and I was to to look it up. So I did, and I read that the only way to fix it is to re-install Windows 11. I'm still pretty new to the IT...
  3. My PC is Bitlocker encrypted and I read that the only way to fix it is to re-install...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC is Bitlocker encrypted and I read that the only way to fix it is to re-install...: I was given a used PC that was Bitlocker encrypted, and neither of us have the Bitlocker password. It won't let me wipe the entire PC, and I was to to look it up. So I did, and I read that the only way to fix it is to re-install Windows 11. I'm still pretty new to the IT...
  4. Unable to turn off Encryption in Mail app

Unable to turn off Encryption in Mail app: I'm trying to help someone who is unable to send out any emails from her O365 account on a Windows 10 tablet using the Mail app as it says the encryption certificate is missing, invalid, or has expired. I had her look in the account settings in the app and Encryption is...
  5. is it possible 2 encrypt an 'active' drive that other apps need acces

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    is it possible 2 encrypt an 'active' drive that other apps need acces: I have : Core i5 v3 12GB DDR3 RAM Gigabyte Mobo H71M-D3H Giagbyte GTZ 650 OC 1 x 250GB Samsung EVO 860 system drive 1 x 2TB 7200rpm - storage 1 x 500GB 7200RPM - storage 1 x Mobile 500GB 5400RPM drive - storage i I woulike to ecrypt my downloads folder in the 2Tb storage ,...
  6. Criptext is a free encrypted email service with open source apps for Windows, Linux, macOS,...

in Windows 10 News
    Criptext is a free encrypted email service with open source apps for Windows, Linux, macOS,...: Criptext is a free encrypted email service for Windows, Linux, macOS, Android and iOS. It has been around for a while, but I thought it may be worth looking into. [ATTACH] Before we get started, allow me to say that this article isn't about Criptext vs Protonmail, so we're...
  7. Windows 10 photos app can access encrypted pictures in encrypted partition

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 photos app can access encrypted pictures in encrypted partition: Hi, I have encrypted a partition using both bitlocker and veracrypt and I noticed that even after locking the partition and unmounting it, for both bitlocker and veracrypt, the photos app can still open the pictures from "recent files" . I tried to open the pictures using...
  8. UWP Apps Encrypted with EFS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    UWP Apps Encrypted with EFS: I'm trying to edit resource packs for Minecraft Win 10 edition, but the file folder is encrypted. I can access it but I can't modify anything. Moreover, if I move the files to another folder the encryption persists! I've tried decrypting them but to no avail. I'm running...
  9. Packages and UWP app folders have become encrypted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Packages and UWP app folders have become encrypted: I don't not know how the encryption has happened. I have Windows 10 Home. The following folders have become encrypted C:\Program Files\WindowsApps C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Packages D:\WindowsApps D:\WpSystem\[user]\AppData\Local\Packages New apps and files become...
  10. which wire to wire encryption does Onedrive uses on desktop app ?

which wire to wire encryption does Onedrive uses on desktop app ?: which wire to wire encryption does Onedrive uses on desktop app ? 55154