Windows 10: Encryption

Discus and support Encryption in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Now that I have Win 10 Pro I can encrypt files and folders. So I tried a test file. To my surprise it remains fully visible and copyable. I am the only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Jun 29, 2018.

1. tcebob Win User

Encryption

Now that I have Win 10 Pro I can encrypt files and folders. So I tried a test file. To my surprise it remains fully visible and copyable. I am the only user and I suppose the encryption password is my user password, so the encryption is transparent to me.

Is it possible to select a different password so that anyone (including remote technicians, visitors, thieves) except me cannot view a file?

:)

tcebob, Jun 29, 2018

2. Device Encryption not avaiable

Hello Fraczek,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Are you referring to BitLocker Drive Encryption?
    • What preventing you from doing this?
    • Did you get any error message or code while doing this?

Before you come up with the above information, suggest you to refer the article

Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption
    and see if it help you.

Do refer the article
    Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide
    and check if it help you with the required information.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jun 29, 2018
  3. Encryption

Hello Miriam,

For us to be able to isolate your concern why your devices page says it is not encrypted when you've turn on encryption, kindly answer these questions:

• Does this happen before you encrypt the device?
    • Which Windows version currently running on your device?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

We will be waiting for update.

Gerald Mal, Jun 29, 2018
  4. Encryption

Encrypting a folder

Hello Bill,

To encrypt a folder in Windows 10 Home, follow these steps:

• Right-click the folder you want to encrypt and click Properties.
    • On the General tab, click Advanced.
    • Under Compress or Encrypt attributes, click Encrypt contents to secure data.
    • Click OK then Apply to save the changes.

We're just here if you need further help.

Devlin Sco, Jun 29, 2018
Thema:

Encryption

1. Encryption - Similar Threads - Encryption

2. Serious problem with files encrypted with EFS, inaccessible after an update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Serious problem with files encrypted with EFS, inaccessible after an update: I commented on my problem in the community because in Support they could not give me a solution to the problem and they suggested that I seek advice in this community. Since my previous notebook with all my personal files was stolen, in the new one I created a folder with...
  3. Boot (BSOD) errors 0xC000000F and 0xc0000225 on encrypted drives (solved)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot (BSOD) errors 0xC000000F and 0xc0000225 on encrypted drives (solved): Hi fellow readers, I recently encountered a BSOD boot error on my (Veracrypt) encrypted laptop. The initial error code I got was 0xc000000f. Some options were also shown: Press Enter to try again, (Which does nothing) Press f8 for Startup Settings (Which does nothing)...
  4. Windows Update keeps breaking mainstream encryption software boot loader on startup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update keeps breaking mainstream encryption software boot loader on startup: The password prompt boot loader system is broken after Windows Update, and I need to manually select the EFI file. Is there a way that I can manually change the boot file back to the encryption software boot loader password prompt file? The err code is 0xc000000f. I am not...
  5. Bitlocker Encruption--Laptop Encrypted itself!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Encruption--Laptop Encrypted itself!: I logged into my Dell Laptop on 3-9-19 only to have a screen come up that read: "BitLocker" and "Enter the recovery key to get going again (keyboard Layout US)" I never set up a BitLocker key and as far as I can tell Microsoft must have sent an update that caused the laptop...
  6. Turning on device encryption

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turning on device encryption: I am running Windows 10 Home version 10.0.17763 Build 17763 on a Dell Inspiron 620 x-64. When I go to Microsoft account under this device it shows that BitLocker is turned off and a link with instructions on how to turn it on....
  7. Bitlocker asking for recovery key on every startup after encrypting the drive using VeraCrypt

Bitlocker asking for recovery key on every startup after encrypting the drive using VeraCrypt: Hi, I don't know if this question has been asked already, but here it is: Since I've encrypted my system disk on my tablet with veracrypt, bitlocker is asking it's recovery key each time on boot because (what the error message says in eventviewer) it can't contact the TPM...
  8. how to relink bitlocker and TPM device after having used veracrypt encrypting process for...

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to relink bitlocker and TPM device after having used veracrypt encrypting process for...: Hi, I don't know if this question has been asked already, but here it is: Since I've encrypted my system disk on my tablet with veracrypt, bitlocker is asking it's recovery key each time on boot because (what the error message says in eventviewer) it can't contact the TPM...
  9. Windows 10 Home - need to encrypt folders - it is greyed out.

Windows 10 Home - need to encrypt folders - it is greyed out.: Can anyone help please. I seem to be reading contradictory information on whether it is even possible to encrypt folders in Windows 10 Home edition. One site I found suggested two possible methods, both of which I followed to no effect. First, using regedit in the...
  10. TPM and Full disk encryption

TPM and Full disk encryption: I have a new laptop (Lenova Yoga 730-13) with Windows 10 Home edition installed. It also has TPM for encryption. My question is this: Does TPM mean that I have Full Disk Encryption or do I need to upgrade to the professional version of Windows in order to achieve this?...