Windows 10: Endless cycle of BSODs, WLAN-related, not fixed by driver update

Discus and support Endless cycle of BSODs, WLAN-related, not fixed by driver update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For a few good months, my Lenovo T580 Windows 10 laptop has been affected by the problem of reocurring BSODs, with the error codes either... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by z8080, Aug 21, 2020.

1. z8080 Win User

Endless cycle of BSODs, WLAN-related, not fixed by driver update

For a few good months, my Lenovo T580 Windows 10 laptop has been affected by the problem of reocurring BSODs, with the error codes either CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED ~80% of the cases or BAD_SYSTEM_INFO_CONFIG ~20% of cases.

These BSODs trigger a reboot loop, whereby the PC would either:
    - go into a BIOS-like BootMenu, with no useful options, from which the only way out was a button-power-off
    - present options for emergency repair/safe start/refresh PC, etc, in a more graphical Windows-like interface. Unfortunately, no old enough system-restore point was available to be of help, and StartupRecovery also did nothing.
    - display the text "Start PXE over IPv4" on black freeze -> reboot needed
    - display the Lenovo logo with "Diagnosing your PC" or "Preparing automatic repair" freeze
    - actually get to the Windows login screen, but after a few minutes crash with BSOD and repeat the whole cycle over

After 50 or so such turn-off/reboot cycles, I eventually booted stably in Windows i.e. no BSOD within the first minute, nor later, but then got WLAN connectivity issues for a while networks not seen, or can't connect. This whole problem somehow related to the WLAN card, as prior to a BSOD, a warning sign was, I think, the WLAN icon showing the globe with the line through it, indicating lost connectivity.

The problem still manifested at every return from standby/hibernate and at every reboot, although I did the following:

- updated all the drivers I could including with Intel's driver management tool for the WLAN card, and with Lenovo's own driver manager
    - uninstalled and reinstalled the WLAN card from Device Manager
    - ran MemTest 86 and the Comodo AV scan, both of which were clean.
    - attempted a firmware upgrade of the SSD from Lenovo, but the readme says T580 stopped being supported

I managed to use the PC fine for a few weeks by simply leaving it on permanently, but as soon as I had to restart e.g. Windows update, the same cycle repeated, and now it seems even after 50 cycles it won't boot stably again.

This problem can clearly no longer be worked around. The Refresh PC option which from the description seems equivalent to a clean reinstall of Windows is the last resort, but with this thread I want to ask if any other solution before that can be attempted, since reinstalling all the software and customisations on this PC would take a LOT of time. Thanks!

:)

z8080, Aug 21, 2020
  2. alexsubri Win User

BSOD- atikmpag.sys

This is most likely due to an installation/upgrade error with ATI driver's. I suggest doing DriveSweeper and the following:
    • Drivesweeper all drivers & in Safe Mode
    • Unistall all drivers that aren't used in DriveSweeper (CCC Profiler Updates, MSI AfterBurner, anything related to ATI that use's it's drivers.)
    • After you do this, the first thing you need to do is go into Device Manager and Unistall your ATI Drivers
    Endless cycle of BSODs, WLAN-related, not fixed by driver update [​IMG]

Once your done, restart the PC and then try installing the latest drivers.

I had several issues with this in the past, but I overcame it with logical reasoning and whenever I have a driver issue, I just use these steps and I always overcome the problem.

Best of luck! *Toast :toast:

alexsubri, Aug 21, 2020
  3. esawyer2 Win User
    Update to Windows 10 Pro Failure Causing Endless Restart Cycle

Update to Windows 10 Pro Failure Causing Endless Restart Cycle

After reserving a spot to upgrade to Windows 10 my computer has started to constantly restart itself without any way of stopping the action. We have tried many different solutions and none of them have worked. The only way to avoid constant reboots is to
    take the computer offline. Any suggestions?

esawyer2, Aug 21, 2020
  4. Endless cycle of BSODs, WLAN-related, not fixed by driver update

Windows WLAN Service: Regular ping spikes on a stable WLAN connection

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

First Verify if the WLAN service is started and set to automatic, if the WLAN service is stopped, I would suggest you to start the service and put it to automatic.

Step 1: Please follow the steps to
    start the WLAN service.

• Click on Start, type in services.msc
      and press Enter.

• Select WLAN Autoconfig from the list, Right click properties

• Change the startup type to Automatic.

• Click on Start button.

• Click on Apply, Ok.
    Restart the computer and verify if it works.

Also check if all the dependencies are also running. Try the steps to check Dependencies.

• Right-click on WLAN Autoconfig and select Properties.

• Click on Dependencies, you will find all the dependency services under box labeled this service depends on the following system components.
    Step 2: If still you are facing issues, then
    uninstall and reinstall the drivers

• Click start.

• Type devmgmt.msc in Start
      Search.

• In Network adapter you will find the device, right click on it and select the option
      uninstall.

• Restart the computer and check reinstalling the drivers.
    Refer:
    How to install and Update Drivers

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 21, 2020
Thema:

Endless cycle of BSODs, WLAN-related, not fixed by driver update

1. Endless cycle of BSODs, WLAN-related, not fixed by driver update - Similar Threads - Endless cycle BSODs

2. Endless cycle of Windows update prompts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Endless cycle of Windows update prompts: A few months ago, Windows Update performed a major update, after which I discovered that the volume control no longer worked on my laptop other than being able to turn the sound completely off. Looking around the web for help, one suggestion I found in a couple of places was...
  3. Endless cycle of Windows update prompts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Endless cycle of Windows update prompts: A few months ago, Windows Update performed a major update, after which I discovered that the volume control no longer worked on my laptop other than being able to turn the sound completely off. Looking around the web for help, one suggestion I found in a couple of places was...
  4. Endless bluescreen cycle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Endless bluescreen cycle: Thank you in advance.Older Toshiba laptop W10 8GB/500GB SSD. Only problem I had with it was that I couldn't run SFC command. Otherwise It's been working well for years. The other day all of sudden it went bluescreen. It goes auto repairing and diagnosing modes, then back to a...
  5. Endless bluescreen cycle

Endless bluescreen cycle: Thank you in advance.Older Toshiba laptop W10 8GB/500GB SSD. Only problem I had with it was that I couldn't run SFC command. Otherwise It's been working well for years. The other day all of sudden it went bluescreen. It goes auto repairing and diagnosing modes, then back to a...
  6. Endless bluescreen cycle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Fixing BSOD related to graphics driver

Fixing BSOD related to graphics driver: My PC has crashed about 5 times now over the last 6 months. It is not reproduceable and seemingly happens randomly, as no particular application or action seems to trigger it. The PC doesn't literally blue screen, it just freezes then restarts. A surface level look with...
  8. Fixing BSOD related to graphics driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fixing BSOD related to graphics driver: My PC has crashed about 5 times now over the last 6 months. It is not reproduceable and seemingly happens randomly, as no particular application or action seems to trigger it. The PC doesn't literally blue screen, it just freezes then restarts. A surface level look with...
  9. Fixing BSOD related to graphics driver

10. Endless BSOD cycle in Build 14295 (and 14342)

Endless BSOD cycle in Build 14295 (and 14342): Have not had any issues until today. Recently upgraded to Build 14342. Now in endless loop of BSOD, only get a minute or two after login before BSOD. A variety of reasons are given for the crashes. Tried rolling back to an earlier build but problem persists. Have attached the...