Windows 10: Enhanced Session Mode question

Discus and support Enhanced Session Mode question in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have a vi-Boot created W10 system that has "Enhanced Session mode" set. Yet when I attempt activate it, the "Enhanced session" is grayed out in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by storageman, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Enhanced Session Mode question

I have a vi-Boot created W10 system that has "Enhanced Session mode" set. Yet when I attempt activate it, the "Enhanced session" is grayed out in the VIEW menu. Is this caused by something that vi-Boot causing ?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

:)

storageman, Sep 26, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Enhanced Session Mode question

As I understand it, yes it should. You can check in Hyper-V Manager that it has indeed been created as a gen 2 VM. If so, then I can't see why enhanced session mode is not available. Maybe @Kari can help.

It seems that even for a gen. 2 machine, Pro is still required. I've just tested a viBoot VM of a uefi/gpt Home. This is actually from the same physical machine as my earlier screenshot, an initial install of Home (because it had a Home key in its bios) which was then upgraded to the Pro seen above. No enhanced session mode available for this gen. 2 Home VM.

Enhanced Session Mode question [​IMG]

...and simply upgrading that Home VM to Pro makes enhanced session mode available, showing that viBoot was not to blame.

3. Bree Win User

Is the image you are using in viBoot an image of a W10 Home system or W10 Pro? Was the image of a Legacy bios/MBR machine or a UEFI/GPT one? The availability (or otherwise) of enhanced session mode depends on which you have used.

Testing this, for my Legacy/MBR images viBoot creates a Generation 1 machine, for a UEFI/GPT image it's Generation 2. For a Generation 1 VM enhanced session mode is not available for W10 Home as the guest OS, it's available if the guest OS is W10 Pro.

Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10

It makes no difference whether the VM was created by the Hyper-V manager or by viBoot. It's the combination of machine generation and guest OS that determines if enhanced session mode is available. Here's an example of a viBoot VM where it is (Gen. 2, W10 Pro).

4. Enhanced Session Mode question

Bree - Its a HOME system based on UEFI/GPT.

This should work.

storageman, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Enhanced Session Mode question - Similar Threads - Enhanced Session Mode

2. How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V: Before posting, i read from learn.microsoft about Hyper-V, i have also read most of "Introduction to Hyper-V on Windows 10" pdf as well.However i am missing something..The thing goes like this:I have a Win10 Pro desktop. and want to use Hyper-V to install linux OS.From the...
  3. How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V: Before posting, i read from learn.microsoft about Hyper-V, i have also read most of "Introduction to Hyper-V on Windows 10" pdf as well.However i am missing something..The thing goes like this:I have a Win10 Pro desktop. and want to use Hyper-V to install linux OS.From the...
  4. How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Access control for Hyper-V enhanced session mode shared-drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access control for Hyper-V enhanced session mode shared-drive: Hello,is it possible to configure access control on the shared-drive which is "mounted" on Hyper-V machine on Windows 10 when enhanced session mode is used? This shared drive is mounted with administrative privileges by default and that means that users of Hyper-V machine...
  6. Access control for Hyper-V enhanced session mode shared-drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access control for Hyper-V enhanced session mode shared-drive: Hello,is it possible to configure access control on the shared-drive which is "mounted" on Hyper-V machine on Windows 10 when enhanced session mode is used? This shared drive is mounted with administrative privileges by default and that means that users of Hyper-V machine...
  7. Enhanced Session Login

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enhanced Session Login: Hi. I am new with Hyper-V, and I've encountered login troubles. I have a laptop with Windows 10 for Workstations; there I have created a VM with Windows 10 Pro under my work account. When I am running VM in normal mode, I have no problems; but, when I switch to enhanced...
  8. Hyper-V, Windows 10 Samrtcard access in enhanced session mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hyper-V, Windows 10 Samrtcard access in enhanced session mode: Hi, I've recently enabled hyper-v on my Windows 10 pro system that's updated (June 2019). I've seen that enhanced session mode is available for both the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and the Ubuntu 19.04 templates from the "quick create" menu. This has the ability to access local...
  9. Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode 'Intercept' Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode 'Intercept' Stopped Working: WIN 10 build 1809. Very strange problem. Hyper-V was working fine with enhanced sessions and then went south. Checked Hyper-v settings and both Server -- > Enhanced Session Mode Policy and User --> Enhanced Session Mode are checked. With new virtual machines there is no...
  10. Enhanced Session Mode

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Enhanced Session Mode: I have Windows 10 Build 10041 and created a VM in Hyper-V using a Windows XP SP3 iso. After initial setup, Windows XP is missing many drivers, including network so I can't copy driver files to the VM. Is there a way to enable usb support or anything else that will allow me to...