Windows 10: Enhanced Virtual Desktops (Feature(s) Request(s))

Discus and support Enhanced Virtual Desktops (Feature(s) Request(s)) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; General speaking? It's been great. Virtual desktops have thus far been pretty smooth, but they're TOO simplified. There's no way to use them without... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by HouseHalcyon, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Enhanced Virtual Desktops (Feature(s) Request(s))

General speaking? It's been great. Virtual desktops have thus far been pretty smooth, but they're TOO simplified. There's no way to use them without confusion or having to paradoxically use post it notes or something to remind you what desktop you left something on. Yes, you can do windows+tab and go poke around, but that's still something that requires hunting if you have a very busy machine like mine. (Intel server hardware 256gb ram, many TB hdd space, etc).

But now it needs some polish:

• Ability to rename virtual desktops instead of desktop 1, 2, 3, etc & Ability to change background on each virtual desktop instead a single point or having to use a third party API to shift it upon switch
      • When I have multiple desktops, its to keep organized in different thought buckets. But my thoughts don't run in line with "thought bucket 1, 2, 3 etc"
      • One desktop has console sessions
      • Another has administrative tools open
      • Another is where I'm browsing reddit
      • So I want to label them! Identify them!
    • For multiple monitor solutions (I have six), allow for a single monitor to stay static. So when I can set up a center console that virtual monitors flow around.
      • For instance, Lync & Outlook are live on Virtual Desktop 1 Monitor 2 (Center bottom), and I select that monitor and click say "static virtual" or something to that effect. So now when I hit CTRL+WIN+RightArrow, My center bottom monitor stays the same, while the other five move to the next virtual desktop.
      • And an additional ability to virtualize windows rather than windows taking up a specific size based off of 1/2 split 1/4 split overly simplified mechanics. (yes, its easy, but gramma isn't the only customer.)
        • Right now, if I want to lock a chat window (like the name column) into place, and use the basic drag to side and lock function, it starts out at half a window.
        • Well I don't need half a window. I don't even need it to take up the full space from top to bottom.
        • See the program "Maxto"
    • This probably isn't really doable, and honestly moot, but because I just thought of it, I'll mention it. VMWare integration, so that the VM becomes a virtual desktop (once you specifically set it, you're "on the virtual machine literally" instead of just a virtual desktop.)

:)

HouseHalcyon, Sep 14, 2018

2. Feature request?

You've posted your request to an old, dead suggestion thread for a discontinued service (the My Phone service) that was provided for Windows Mobile devices.

Please make any windows phone 7 enhancement request in the
    Windows Phone 7 Feature Request forum, found here.

Julie fka profjulie, Sep 17, 2018
  3. Julie fka profjulie, Sep 17, 2018
  4. SimonLidd Win User

Enhanced Virtual Desktops (Feature(s) Request(s))

Virtual desktops

I have a written a program which enhances Windows 10 desktops and works around this issue for you by detecting the switch to a new desktop to open the existing document and then open of a new document - it then moves it back where it belongs.

Virtual Desktop Grid Switcher

Full set of features are:

• Windows 10 Desktop Switcher using a grid layout
    • Switch desktops using arrow keys with configurable modifier keys
    • Move active window to another desktop using keyboard
    • Make windows Always on Top or Sticky using keyboard
    • Activate last active window when switch from empty desktop (Windows 10 bug)
    • Chrome/Firefox activation to make web links open on same desktop if window exists
    • Word/Excel new window detected and moved back to current desktop if auto-switched
    Enjoy!

Simon

SimonLidd, Sep 17, 2018
Thema:

Enhanced Virtual Desktops (Feature(s) Request(s))

1. Enhanced Virtual Desktops (Feature(s) Request(s)) - Similar Threads - Enhanced Virtual Desktops

2. Microsoft is enhancing Windows 11's Enhanced Phishing Protection security feature

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is enhancing Windows 11's Enhanced Phishing Protection security feature: Microsoft introduced the security feature Enhanced Phishing Protection in Windows 11 version 22H2 to better protect the Windows account password. The feature is now seeing improvements in the most recent Windows 11 Insider builds. According to the changelog, Enhanced...
  3. Missing App & Features, and S Mode is not on!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing App & Features, and S Mode is not on!: So, I have have been trying to move some programs to an external SSD and I am missing my App Feature. I have reset the Apps section, I have made sure that the computer is not in S Mode. Just kinda lost now....
  4. Virtual Desktop navigation hotkey - Request

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Desktop navigation hotkey - Request: Alt-Tab is an instant switch between apps... Windows-Tab should be an instant switch between Virtual Desktop... It makes a ton of sense and it's easy and fast... why do I need 1 more click with the mouse all the way in the top left corner to choose a second virtual desktop......
  5. Virtual Desktop navigation hotkey - Request

Virtual Desktop navigation hotkey - Request: Alt-Tab is an instant switch between apps... Windows-Tab should be an instant switch between Virtual Desktop... It makes a ton of sense and it's easy and fast... why do I need 1 more click with the mouse all the way in the top left corner to choose a second virtual desktop......
  6. Virtual Desktop navigation hotkey - Request

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Virtual Desktop Enhancer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual Desktop Enhancer?: Has anyone been able to get the virtual desktop enhancer functioning? This is the link but it seems it is no longer being supported. https://github.com/sdias/win-10-virtual-desktop-enhancer I just want different background for my virtual desktops, and can't get this to...
  8. [Feature Request] Switching Virtual Desktop Should Display Virtual Desktop Name

in Windows 10 Customization
    [Feature Request] Switching Virtual Desktop Should Display Virtual Desktop Name: Issue: When using the keyboard shortcut Win+Ctrl+Left/Right Arrow to switch between virtual desktops it is easy to get lost in which desktop environment you are in. Proposal: When using the shortcut to switch between virtual desktops a brief text notification should be...
  9. Best way to enhance Virtual Desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to enhance Virtual Desktop?: Hi there guys, I'm starting to organize my desktop because I want to have it as clean and polished as possible. I wanted to use the multiple Desktop function of W10 but, as far as I tried, it is really poor. I can't setup different desktop icons for each desktop, and I can't...
  10. Windows S Desktop Icons

Windows S Desktop Icons: Hi, is there any way to add desktop icons or shortcuts? I cannot find a way in Windows S https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_books/windows-s-desktop-icons/2290e8f7-2203-41ec-a4e1-b1f9a457b09b

Users found this page by searching for:

1. virtual desktop grid switcher similar