Windows 10: Enhancing Cursor Visibility in Windows 11/10: Tips and Tools

Discus and support Enhancing Cursor Visibility in Windows 11/10: Tips and Tools in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; To enhance recorded Windows video tutorials or live presentations, you can highlight the mouse cursor. This involves applying a highlight effect to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 12, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Enhancing Cursor Visibility in Windows 11/10: Tips and Tools

To enhance recorded Windows video tutorials or live presentations, you can highlight the mouse cursor. This involves applying a highlight effect to the small mouse cursor, making it clearer for viewers to follow while watching any kind of Windows tutorial video or viewing the desktop during screen sharing.

Most users who showcase their Windows desktops to others recognize the importance of highlighting their mouse pointers. Fortunately, there are various ways to highlight the mouse pointer using third-party apps and extensions. This article will demonstrate how to highlight the mouse cursor in Windows 11/10 using PowerToys, Mouse Pointer Highlight, and Cursor Highlight.

How to use Show Location of Pointer to highlight your cursor

If you need to highlight the cursor in Windows, you can choose the Show location of pointer setting. Even though Windows doesn't have many cursor-highlighting features, this setting allows you to briefly highlight the cursor's position with a ring simply by pressing an activation key. Although it's not as advanced as third-party apps that provide color highlighting, it still effectively displays the cursor's location. To select the Show location of pointer setting, follow these steps:

• Press Win + I to open the Settings app. (Alternatively, you can use other methods to open the Windows Settings app.)
    • In Windows 11, select Bluetooth & devices. If you're using Windows 10, select Devices.
    • Click on Mouse to view the settings for this device type.
    • Look for Additional mouse settings (or Additional mouse options) in the Windows Settings app, and select it.
    • In the Mouse Properties window that appears, click on the Pointer Options tab.
    • Select the checkbox that says "Show location of pointer when I press the Ctrl key."
    • Finally, click on Apply to save your changes in the Mouse Properties window.

To test out the new pointer highlighting, press the Ctrl key and observe a circle expanding and quickly shrinking around the cursor. This feature is intended to help users locate their mouse pointers. However, it may be an unnecessary feature for that purpose since moving the mouse around is typically the most effective way to find the cursor.

That being said, this feature can be advantageous for Windows video tutorials. Enabling the circle animation will draw viewers' attention to the cursor's position. It can be used to briefly highlight settings by positioning the cursor next to any option that requires selecting.

Enhancing Cursor Visibility in Windows 11/10: Tips and Tools How-to-use-Show-Location-of-Pointer-to-highlight-your-cursor.jpg

Highlight your cursor with Mouse Pointer Highlight

If you desire a permanent color highlight for the cursor, you can consider using the Mouse Pointer Highlight app. This freely available app adds a transparent color circle to the cursor, providing a more visible and colorful highlighting effect. Here are the steps to highlight the cursor using Mouse Pointer Highlight:

• Download and install the Mouse Pointer Highlight app on your Windows device.
    • Once installed, launch the app.
    • Choose the color of the highlight you prefer by clicking on the colored circle in the app's window.

Upon launching the Mouse Pointer Highlight app, a default yellow circle highlight will automatically appear around your cursor. To change the color of the circle, click on "Select Color" and choose a different color from the palette.

The size of the circle highlight defaults to 30, but you can adjust it to be smaller or larger by entering a value less than or greater than 30 in the "Size" box. Similarly, you can modify the circle's transparency by changing the value in the "Opacity" box. A lower value will increase transparency, while a value of 0 will make the circle invisible and a value of 255 will remove all transparency.

The app also features a click highlight effect that displays a second circle with a different color briefly around the cursor whenever you click the mouse. You can enable this feature by selecting the "Enable" checkbox. The size, opacity, and display time of this secondary circle can be configured in the same manner as the primary circle.

Once you have configured the cursor highlighting to your preferences, click on the "Apply Setting" button. Note that the app must remain running for the cursor highlighting to work, but it does not run in the background with a system tray icon. You can minimize the app's window to the taskbar when not in use.

Related: How to set up Windows 11 without a Microsoft account

Use PowerToys to highlight your cursor

PowerToys is an app that provides access to several useful new tools and features for Windows 11/10. If you're interested in learning more about the capabilities of PowerToys, our "best things to do in PowerToys" guide can provide insight into some of the tools that can be activated with this software.

Among the various features of PowerToys is the Mouse utilities tab, which allows users to enable a color highlight circle for their cursor. Here's how you can set up mouse cursor highlighting using PowerToys:

• Open the Microsoft PowerToys app page in the Microsoft Store.
    • Click "Get" and "Open Microsoft Store" to install PowerToys on your device.
    • Once PowerToys is installed, open the app from your Start menu's app list.
    • Click on the "Mouse utilities" tab.
    • Scroll down and turn on the "Enable Mouse Highlighter" option.
    • Press the Windows logo key + Shift + H hotkey to activate the highlighter.

It's important to note that PowerToys' cursor highlighting only applies to mouse clicking. You'll see yellow and blue color circles whenever you right or left-click the mouse by default.

To customize PowerToys' cursor highlighting, follow these steps:

• Click on "Appearance and Behavior" in the Mouse utilities tab to view further options.
    • Click on either the "Primary" or "Secondary" button boxes to access palettes from which to select different colors for the highlight.
    • Use the Opacity bar's slider to adjust the transparency level of the highlighting effect.
    • Click on the "Radius" option to select a different size value for the circle.
    Use the Cursor Highlighter browser extension to highlight your cursor

If you only require cursor highlighting in Edge or Chrome, the Cursor Highlight extension for those browsers may be worth checking out. This extension adds a color circle to the mouse pointer and highlights it with a nice animation effect, which is not available with PowerToys or Mouse Pointer Highlighter. Here's how to highlight your cursor with this extension:

• Open the Cursor Highlighter page in Edge or Chrome.
    • Click the "Add" button to install the extension.
    • Press the "Extensions" button in Chrome or Edge.
    • Click on Cursor Highlighter to view the extension's options.
    • Turn on the "Enable/Disable" option.
    • Click the color palette box to select a color for the highlight and save your selection.
    • Open a new webpage in your browser to view your highlighted cursor.\

Related: How to open registry editor in Windows 11

Enhancing Cursor Visibility in Windows 11/10: Tips and Tools Use-the-Cursor-Highlighter-browser-extension-to-highlight-your-cursor-scaled.jpg

Make your cursor pop

Highlighting your cursor in Windows 11/10 can make it stand out and be more visible. The highlighting options available in PowerToys and Mouse Pointer Highlight apps are especially useful for presentations and tutorials. The Windows "show pointer" feature and the Cursor Highlighter extension also provide visual cursor indicators, though with slightly less functionality. Whichever option you choose to employ, you now have all the tools you could need to make your cursor pop.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Enhancing Cursor Visibility in Windows 11/10: Tips and Tools appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 12, 2023
  2. jorgeUK21 Win User

Cursor poor visible - How to enhance cursor visibility?

The cursor is barely visible, particularly while working on a word document.

How to enhance the cursor' s visibility? - the answer on Help did not help.

Appreciate your input.

jorgeUK21, Mar 12, 2023
  3. Turned Windows 10 Mobile Hotspot "ON" but not visible on devices..

have you followed all the steps? U might have missed something. Check out instructions mentioned here Windows 10 Tip: Set Up a Mobile Hotspot

lorraine walsh, Mar 12, 2023
  4. jorgeUK21 Win User

Cursor poor visible - How to enhance cursor visibility?

Thank you, Dave!

This did help.

However, I got to see then that the cursor remained unchanged and barely visible within one external program that I use and in that program's integrated Word. I would have expected the enhancement I just made would work "everywhere" - in all my programs
    in use in my Surface Pro 4 laptop, but it didn't. I will ask the program provider for support on the issue.

jorgeUK21, Mar 12, 2023
Thema:

1. Enhancing Cursor Visibility in Windows 11/10: Tips and Tools - Similar Threads - Enhancing Cursor Visibility

2. Mouse cursor not visible, not moving

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse cursor not visible, not moving: Hello, Since I turned on my pc this morning my mouse cursor has pretty much disappeared. Moving my mouse around, right and left clicking doesnt work. Reconnecting my mouse makes the disconnect and connect sounds play, trying different usb ports did not help.However, if I...
  3. Mouse cursor not visible, not moving

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse cursor not visible, not moving: Hello, Since I turned on my pc this morning my mouse cursor has pretty much disappeared. Moving my mouse around, right and left clicking doesnt work. Reconnecting my mouse makes the disconnect and connect sounds play, trying different usb ports did not help.However, if I...
  4. Mouse cursor not visible, not moving

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 11 Tips

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Tips: With the release of Windows 11 this month, we’ve seen quite a few inquiries dealing with Windows 11 topics. To help keep everyone up to date and aligned on these topics we’ve put together some tips and pointers to help you handle some of the most common questions out...
  6. Windows 11 Tips

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Tips: With the release of Windows 11 this month, we’ve seen quite a few inquiries dealing with Windows 11 topics. To help keep everyone up to date and aligned on these topics we’ve put together some tips and pointers to help you handle some of the most common questions out...
  7. No cursor visible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No cursor visible: My cursor is missing ever since I played my last game. When I came out of the game. The cursor was gone missing. I am trying to find it now but I have no clue where I am clicking and I can't navigate properly its been a headache to me....
  8. Black screen with visible cursor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black screen with visible cursor: Hello everybody! I have a little problem with my screen. Every time I want to wake up my computer from the "hibernate mode" everything seems to be working but the screen, I only get a black screen but I am able to see the mouse arrow. If I press ctr+alt+del I am able to...
  9. Cursor Visibility in Dark Mode

Cursor Visibility in Dark Mode: I would like to know if there is a way to turn off the changing text select cursors in dark mode. In dark mode it can be very difficult to find the dark i-beam cursor when editing text, so I changed it out for the white outlined one. Perfect, problem solved, or so I thought....
  10. Tool Tips getting in the way

Tool Tips getting in the way: There seems to be an abundance of tool tips where they are redundant and block other content. Is there a method to turn them off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tool-tips-getting-in-the-way/c8724c32-993a-43fc-adeb-52fcbabf7915