Windows 10: Ensure disk controller is enabled in BIOS Windows installation error

Discus and support Ensure disk controller is enabled in BIOS Windows installation error in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [IMG]When trying to install Windows operating systems on a computer, a lot of users are getting stuck on the partition screen where there see an error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 14, 2023.

1. WinClub New Member

Ensure disk controller is enabled in BIOS Windows installation error

Ensure disk controller is enabled in BIOS Windows installation error [​IMG]
    When trying to install Windows operating systems on a computer, a lot of users are getting stuck on the partition screen where there see an error message – Windows cannot be installed to this disk, This computer’s hardware may not support booting to this disk, Ensure disk controller is enabled in BIOS while installing Windows […]

This article Ensure disk controller is enabled in BIOS Windows installation error first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 14, 2023
  2. imgauravj Win User

windows can not be installed on this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu

I am getting this error while installing windows 10 from usb drive. I m on this menu where it asks - where do you want to install windows?... im getting this error while selecting Drive 0 unallocated
    space.Error--" windows can not be installed on this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu" please help .

imgauravj, May 14, 2023
  3. Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

It sounds like you may be encountering a hardware or BIOS configuration issue that is preventing Windows from being installed on your Lenovo IdeaPad 100s. Here are a few things you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Check your BIOS settings: Make sure that the disk controller is enabled in the BIOS menu, as the error message suggests. You may need to refer to your laptop's manual or contact Lenovo support for assistance with accessing and modifying your BIOS settings.
    2. Check your hard drive connections: Ensure that your laptop's hard drive is properly connected and functioning correctly. You may want to try removing and reinserting the hard drive or running diagnostic tests to check for hardware issues.
    3. Use a different installation method: If you're installing Windows from a USB drive, try creating a new bootable USB drive using a different tool or method. There may be issues with the USB drive or the way the installation files were prepared.
    4. Clean the hard drive: It's possible that the hard drive has corrupted or bad sectors that are preventing Windows from being installed. You can try using a disk cleaning tool or utility to wipe the hard drive clean and start fresh with a new installation.
    If none of these solutions work, you may want to contact Lenovo support or a qualified technician for further assistance.

Farshid Ryahi Amin, May 14, 2023
  4. Neophile Win User

Windows cannot be installed on this disk... Ensure disk's controller..

My OS had too many issues since I upgraded fromWin 7, installing Win 10 on top. So I decided to Clean the disk, format it and make a fresh installation. Before installing I turned the PC off and disconnected the other disks (please refer to my system, a bit oldish and home assembled) I wanted to install it on a SATA disk. The computer didn't start anymore. The keyboard diodes flickered once a little after pressing the start button (as they usually do), but nothing else happened, not even the fans worked. I thought It should have a CMOS BIOS problem, so I removed the battery for one minute to reset, put it back and it started as usually.

I started the computer from the OS install flash made with the Microsoft flash installer as downloaded and created from Microsoft. When I got to choose where to install Windows, there was an error message:

Windows cannot be installed on this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting on this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS.

I restarted the PC, reconnecting the other discs and restarted the PC with the install flash. Then I noticed that both SATA discs had the same error message, but not the ATA ones, connected through a RAID adapter. I tried other things, but nothing changed, like using a Win 7 install flash previously used to install Win 7 a few times, but got exactly the same result. After this, I searched the internet for three days to find a solution, found many posts, but none of the solutions (when there was one) worked for me.

Then I opened the BIOS again and changed the SATA disks controller configuration from AHCI (as it had always been) to ATA and restarted with the Win 10 install flash. Miracle! No more error massages. I disconnected the other disks again and installed Win 10 without any problem. After installing and checking it was OK I restarted changing the BIOS SATA controller to its original position (AHCI), but got an error at start booting with this line: \windows\system32\winload.exe. I restarted again changing the SATA controller on BIOS to ATA for the SATA configuration at the beginning. OK again. While the config is on AHCI the BIOS do not even see the SATA discs.

This is a condensed description. I believe the problem is with the BIOS. I now need to know:

• Why are the BIOS no recognizing SATA disks with their normal setting as AHCI?
    • How can I restore the right configuration for the SATA disks and have the BIOS recognising them?
    • What issues can this wrong setting rise?
    • What happens if I live it as is?

Thank you for any ideas or suggestions.

Neophile, May 14, 2023
Thema:

1. Ensure disk controller is enabled in BIOS Windows installation error - Similar Threads - Ensure disk controller

2. Error enabling disk tracing for Diskmon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error enabling disk tracing for Diskmon: I have been trying to launch windows sysenternals Diskmon, but upon launching it, it says, "Error enabling disk tracing: Access is denied". Any help?...
  3. Error enabling disk tracing for Diskmon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error enabling disk tracing for Diskmon: I have been trying to launch windows sysenternals Diskmon, but upon launching it, it says, "Error enabling disk tracing: Access is denied". Any help?...
  4. Enable TPM on BIOS

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Enable TPM on BIOS: Do I need to clean install Windows 10 after I enable TPM on BIOS? 182028
  5. Enable TPM on BIOS

in Windows 10 Support
    Enable TPM on BIOS: Do I need to clean install Windows 10 after I enable TPM on BIOS? 182028
  6. Disk Controller Error on installing Win 10 on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk Controller Error on installing Win 10 on SSD: I have been trying to install windows on my new SSD Crucial BX500 240GB. Its giving an error saying - : Windows cannot be installed on this disk.This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk .Ensure that disk controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu....
  7. Virtualization enabled in BIOS but not in Windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Virtualization enabled in BIOS but not in Windows 10 ?: Hello Im trying to use Nox player emulator, but its very slow because the Virtualization off, I enabled it on Bios, and I disabled Hyper-V, but when I check in the Task Manger (in Performance) I found it is disabled ! Any help ! 135799
  8. Ensure Trim is Enabled?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Ensure Trim is Enabled?: I have read several articles on Trim and it seems like my settings are opposite of what the articles say. All articles say the setting should be "0" for Trim to be enabled. I followed the steps to verify the status and below is what my system reports....
  9. Enable virtualization in bios :/

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Enable virtualization in bios :/: Used this tool, Download Microsoft® Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool from Official Microsoft Download Center No go VMware said the same thing boo-hoo anyone have instruction to enable in bios ? Spec's are added, Cheers. 2935
  10. Windows cannot be installed on this disk... Ensure disk's controller..

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows cannot be installed on this disk... Ensure disk's controller..: My OS had too many issues since I upgraded fromWin 7, installing Win 10 on top. So I decided to Clean the disk, format it and make a fresh installation. Before installing I turned the PC off and disconnected the other disks (please refer to my system, a bit oldish and home...