Windows 10: ENTER key opens up browser - no matter what you're doing on the comput

Discus and support ENTER key opens up browser - no matter what you're doing on the comput in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HI - I have a dell PC - suddenly in the last two days, no matter where I am in the computer, if I hit the ENTER key, the internet opens up. First it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Charliecharlie, Dec 9, 2016.

1. ENTER key opens up browser - no matter what you're doing on the comput

HI - I have a dell PC - suddenly in the last two days, no matter where I am in the computer, if I hit the ENTER key, the internet opens up. First it was firefox (so i uninstalled that) - now it is Edge - if I'm in MS Word or notepad, or even just on the desktop - I hit enter, the browser opens up - set to my home page (default to google.com) - and no matter what I do, it keeps going back there. I have AVAST anti virus (no viruses) - malware protection - it's a mystery.

VERY frustrating. If writing an email, i cannot start a new line by pressing enter - it just opens up a new browser at the google.com. I had it at cnn.com originally, thought that was the rpoblem - but no matter where I set the homepage to, that's where it goes. I uninstalled the keyboard drivers (keyboard is IOGEAR multimedia keyboard) - that didn't resolve them - spoke to DELL who were absolutely useless -(tech support couldn't figure out how to get into the bios/boot menu - kept telling me F12 - I had to google it myself and suggest F2 - then he got nasty and told me "he's worked at dell for three years, HE would know much better than me - and it's F12" - after trying F12 for 15 minutes and getting nowhere, I tried F2, worked immediately - he got upset and told me it's not his fault I can't follow instructions - and even then he couldn't figure anything out) ... there go 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back - have rebooted a dozen times - desperate :-(

:)

Charliecharlie, Dec 9, 2016

2. No matter what I am doing in my system it constantly kicks me back so the ...home screen

Hi Hensley,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. Don’t worry. We will assist to resolve this issue.

It seems that your computer is infected by virus and malware.

First of all I would suggest you to check the issue if it occurs in Clean boot state:

You can place the computer in clean boot state and check the issue.

Clean boot: To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a
    "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 10, 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Please refer to the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal
    startup after fixing the issue. Steps applies to Windows 10 as well.

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section
    "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"

Disclaimer: A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install
    a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot. You must log on to the computer as an administrator to be able to perform a clean boot. Your
    computer may temporarily lose some functionality when you perform a clean boot. When you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or experience the original behavior if the problem still exists.
    If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps.

Also after starting the computer in normal mode after Clean boot I would suggest you to run Full Virus Scan using Windows Defender.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/how-to-protect-your-windows-10-pc#v1h=tab01

Let us know the status of the issue. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Dec 9, 2016
  3. HensleyV Win User
    No matter what I am doing in my system it constantly kicks me back so the ...home screen

Original Title: Windows10help

I recently upgraded to Windows10, ever since I am having all kinds of problems with my pc. No matter what I am doing it constantly kicks me back so the ...home screen, I guess... the one with all the boxes containing apps etc... appologies I know nothing
    about technology!! Please help...

HensleyV, Dec 9, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

ENTER key opens up browser - no matter what you're doing on the comput

Sounds like you have a stuck key. Turn the keyboard upside down and shake it, then blow out the keys with a can of compressed air to remove any particles keeping the keys stuck.
    Try pressing Enter key on the Onscreen Keyboard. Or try a different USB Keyboard.

spunk, Dec 9, 2016
  5. I cleaned the keyboard thoroughly with compressed air - makes no difference. The Enter key still opens up the home page of the browser. I'm going to try a brand new keyboard tomorrow, see if that helps. I did try the onscreen keyboard, the enter key works just fine.
    I put in a call to microsoft - the tech was great - she took remote control over my computer, checked for malware - downloaded a malware program and said there were 70 threats, which she neutralized - that still didn't work. Then she said she needs to reinstall windows 10.... so that took a while - after an hour she said she needed to go (off the phone) but would call me back in an hour - she didn't unfortunately, and then three hours later, when I thought everything was going well, installation failed - it said that the computer was returned to the same state it was before trying to reinstall. so the computer is exactly where I was before - she ended her online chat and I haven't heard from her since - so it was A+ for effort to begin with, but the reinstallation of windows 10 was a failure and hence that part was a waste of time - but was impressed that microsoft was so helpful. I have done a full online scan of my computer - zero threats - it's just very odd that this has happened only since the latest windows update a few days ago. I will see what happens with a brand new keyboard tomorrow.

Charliecharlie, Dec 10, 2016
  6. spunk Win User
    If the onscreen keyboard works, then it is not a software problem. It is more then likely the keyboard. Reinstalling Windows seems like something that wasn't necessary.

spunk, Dec 10, 2016
  7. I bought a different keyboard home from the office, to try it out - Enter key still opens browser....
    So at least I know it's not the keyboard - I'm going to uninstall a few programs and add-ons.... maybe that will make a difference - thank you though, really appreciate the responses, and people trying to help - this is a great forum. Thanks again.

Charliecharlie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

ENTER key opens up browser - no matter what you're doing on the comput

1. ENTER key opens up browser - no matter what you're doing on the comput - Similar Threads - ENTER key opens

2. Microsoft store opens no matter what i do

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store opens no matter what i do: microsoft store wont open, i try to, absolutely nothing happens, tried to open it when installing Minecraft, it somehow crashed the installer, I tried WSRESET and WSRESET - i and it said "app couldn't start"... I'm desperate...
  3. Microsoft store opens no matter what i do

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft store opens no matter what i do: microsoft store wont open, i try to, absolutely nothing happens, tried to open it when installing Minecraft, it somehow crashed the installer, I tried WSRESET and WSRESET - i and it said "app couldn't start"... I'm desperate...
  4. Microsoft store opens no matter what i do

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot open ports no matter what.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot open ports no matter what.: I am simply trying to open port 21, or any port for that matter on COX cable. I was told by cox that since its business internet, they don't block any ports at all on their end. I set up a simple FTP server, set port 21 in the firewall and forwarded the ports on my linksys...
  6. Cannot open ports no matter what.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open ports no matter what.: I am simply trying to open port 21, or any port for that matter on COX cable. I was told by cox that since its business internet, they don't block any ports at all on their end. I set up a simple FTP server, set port 21 in the firewall and forwarded the ports on my linksys...
  7. Start menu will not open no matter what

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu will not open no matter what: After updating to the latest build of Windows 10 my start menu will no longer open. In event viewer these are the errors that show up when I try to open it.Faulting application name: StartMenuExperienceHost.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4fe0bcb3Faulting module name:...
  8. Keyboard typing wrong keys no matter what I do

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard typing wrong keys no matter what I do: Hello! My keyboard is in Latin American Spanish. I have already gone to settings and set my keyboard language to Spanish Latin America - Latin American, reset my computer, set all of the language settings to Spanish Mexico and tried the keyboard language Spanish Mexico -...
  9. MSN page randomly opening no matter the browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MSN page randomly opening no matter the browser: I read through a few suggestions on this matter and Stitches was the one that helped. Mine happened when i powered of my router, waited a minute and then repowered it, after 5 mins of sorting itself out, everything went back online and my PC opened chrome to MSN, my partner...
  10. Computer is slower than malassis no matter what i open.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer is slower than malassis no matter what i open.: I got gifted a hp flyer red laptop for christmas. Some days itll be alright and others will be so slow i want to just trash it, ive stuck with hp for a while, but no matter what i do i keep getting screwed over, even task manager screws up. Everything is up to date, when i...