Windows 10: Environment Variables

Discus and support Environment Variables in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am unable to add USER Variable in windows environment variable setting. Not asking for Path variables in system variables. Help will be appreciated.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AmnVats, Jun 23, 2020.

1. AmnVats Win User

Environment Variables

I am unable to add USER Variable in windows environment variable setting. Not asking for Path variables in system variables. Help will be appreciated. Thanks

:)

AmnVats, Jun 23, 2020
  2. MCK
    mck Win User

System environment variable won't stick

Running Win10 Home on an Acer Spin 3, 64bit, i7cpu. I try to add a path to the system environment variables by:

1. Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > Environment variables

2. The "Environment Variables" window opens.
    3. In the "System Variables" pane I select "Path" and click the EDIT button.
    4. A list of the current system paths is displayed.
    5. I click the NEW button, browse to the path I want to add which is "C:\Python36-32" and click OK. The path "C:\Python36-32" is added to the list of current system paths.
    6. I click OK and am returned to the "Environment Variables" window.
    7. I click the "X" at the top right to close the "Environment Variables" window.

Now if I click the "Environment Variables" button again (end of step-1) and repeat steps 2-4, the new path I added in step-5 is gone. IOW, adding a new path won't stick.

What am I doing wrong?

3. Searching environment variable in list

I'm using a command that gives me a list of environment variables. When searching in the list, I want to find all environment variables with the word
    EXTERNAL; using the following command all that is occurring is all the environment variables are being listed instead of those environment variables with the word
    EXTERNAL ?

findstr /c "EXTERNAL"

StraightWorld, Jun 23, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Environment Variables

System environment variable won't stick

Yes, there's an OK button for each step.

Environment Variables [​IMG]

Thema:

Environment Variables

1. Environment Variables - Similar Threads - Environment Variables

2. One Setting for Multiple Directories Inside and Outside for Environment Variables

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Setting for Multiple Directories Inside and Outside for Environment Variables: Can I set up a setting for multiple directories inside and outside in Environment Variables like any of these?"C:\*""C:\^""C:\%PATH%""C:\_""C:"Why am I showing these? Because I do not want to have so many directories in a path, otherwise the path will be full. I want the path...
  3. One Setting for Multiple Directories Inside and Outside for Environment Variables

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Setting for Multiple Directories Inside and Outside for Environment Variables: Can I set up a setting for multiple directories inside and outside in Environment Variables like any of these?"C:\*""C:\^""C:\%PATH%""C:\_""C:"Why am I showing these? Because I do not want to have so many directories in a path, otherwise the path will be full. I want the path...
  4. One Setting for Multiple Directories Inside and Outside for Environment Variables

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Path from command prompt is different from Path in Environment Variables

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Path from command prompt is different from Path in Environment Variables: In Command Prompt, path command generates the following I add new-line to make more readable:ATH=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_192;C:\Python38\Scripts\;C:\Python38\;C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft...
  6. Path from command prompt is different from Path in Environment Variables

Path from command prompt is different from Path in Environment Variables: In Command Prompt, path command generates the following I add new-line to make more readable:ATH=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_192;C:\Python38\Scripts\;C:\Python38\;C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft...
  7. My environment variables do not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My environment variables do not work: Windows Pro 11My environment variables do not work when entering them manually for example: C:\swigwin-4.2.0\swig.exe If I entered my environment variables like so in the system menu:User variable for User:Variable ValueSwigWing C:\swigwin-4.2.0\swig.exe or as System...
  8. My environment variables do not work

My environment variables do not work: Windows Pro 11My environment variables do not work when entering them manually for example: C:\swigwin-4.2.0\swig.exe If I entered my environment variables like so in the system menu:User variable for User:Variable ValueSwigWing C:\swigwin-4.2.0\swig.exe or as System...
  9. Strange Environment Variable in Windows 11 cmd.exe / Powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange Environment Variable in Windows 11 cmd.exe / Powershell: In Windows 11 23H2, I realized that there is a strange environment variable set named EFC_nnnnn where nnnnn is a number, randomly generated each log in.Examples:cmd.exeC:\Users\developer>set EFCEFC_11580=1PowershellPS C:\Users\developer> Get-ChildItem Env: Where-Object...
  10. Strange Environment Variable in Windows 11 cmd.exe / Powershell

Strange Environment Variable in Windows 11 cmd.exe / Powershell: In Windows 11 23H2, I realized that there is a strange environment variable set named EFC_nnnnn where nnnnn is a number, randomly generated each log in.Examples:cmd.exeC:\Users\developer>set EFCEFC_11580=1PowershellPS C:\Users\developer> Get-ChildItem Env: Where-Object...