Windows 10: epson printer wf-2540 shows specified printer invalid

Discus and support epson printer wf-2540 shows specified printer invalid in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My Epson WF-2540 stopped printing, but can still scan (???) from my laptop. However, the printer won't print saying "The specified driver is invalid".... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BoBostrom, Aug 9, 2018.

1. BoBostrom Win User

epson printer wf-2540 shows specified printer invalid

My Epson WF-2540 stopped printing, but can still scan (???) from my laptop. However, the printer won't print saying "The specified driver is invalid". Ive tried Epson website to uninstall and reinstall software with no luck. HELP??

:)

BoBostrom, Aug 9, 2018

2. Printer Epson WF-2540 is not working on Windows 10

No matter what I do install, uninstall, update driver, on-off pc my printer WF-2540 don't work. So I went back to W7 from W10

and the printer works fine. So how can i make my printer work on W10?

Original title: Printer Epson WF-2540

PopsieHamot, Aug 9, 2018
  3. cookiemonster, Aug 9, 2018
  4. epson printer wf-2540 shows specified printer invalid

EPSON printer & Windows 10 problems printing

With many thanks to the other posters, while your fixes did not work for me, they inspired me to try something else that did work.

Here's the fix that did work for me:

• Uninstall ALL Epson software from Windows 10
    • Restart the computer
    • Download the WF 2540 driver from the Epson website.
    • Install the Epson driver
    • Print the test page when requested - everything works.
    Notes:

• If you use the printer to scan, this process re-installs the scanner driver as well as the printer driver.
    • To remove all the Epson drivers, use Uninstall Software, located in the Windows Control Panel
    • Only download drivers from the Epson website. To find it, google "Epson W2540 driver download for Windows 10". In the search results, look for URLs that began "Epson® Official Support | Epson US..." Only click
      on one of these.
    • The driver download page for WF2540 has a popup list of OSs supported but it is not in alpha order or in numeric order. It opens in the middle of the list and then you have to scroll up or down the list to find your operating system. When you DO find the
      right version for your OS, it does let you know. I have W10 64 bit. The Epson website said "Windows 10 64-bit (detected).
    • Do NOT use the Windows "Add Printer" function

Why do I say do NOT use the Windows Add Printer function? In my case, this seems to be the source of the problem. Only when I stopped using it, used the installer downloaded from Espon, did the printer-Windows connection work as it's supposed to.

I have multiple Lenovo devices -- all of them had trouble talking to the WF 2540. Same sequence each time. Install the printer driver using Add Printer, works for a while. Then Windows reports the printer is offline, even when it's online. I know it's online.
    I re-checked all the WiFi settings. And the printer works fine with all the Apple gear that shares the WF 2540.

My belief is that the Lenovo version of Windows points to an out-of-date Epson WF2540 driver. Epson has discontinued the WF 2540. While my Lenovo gear is often bought refurbished, I ALWAYS use Windows installed by a Microsoft certified tech. It seems likely
    that there is a breakdown among Epson, Microsoft and Lenovo as they struggle to maintain version control among all these hardware/OS/driver combinations.

Hope this helps others as you have helped me.

Geoff_1957, Aug 9, 2018
Thema:

epson printer wf-2540 shows specified printer invalid

1. epson printer wf-2540 shows specified printer invalid - Similar Threads - epson printer 2540

2. Epson Printer WF Pro 4720

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Epson Printer WF Pro 4720: My Epson printer was working well, but now only prints the job title page and not the document. Can you help? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/epson-printer-wf-pro-4720/050c5c1c-9ef9-4ba5-847e-6839c5898a67
  3. EPSON WF-3540 Printer

EPSON WF-3540 Printer: How can I resolve an Error notice on my EPSON WF-3540 Printer? User manual does not reference this (error) issue. Device will not print when "error" is displayed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/epson-wf-3540-printer/a185e259-6b73-451c-bf00-565ba7d9dd75
  4. EPSON WF-3540 printer

EPSON WF-3540 printer: Anyone know how to cancel the pause mode so I may print from my WF-3540? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/epson-wf-3540-printer/16c04df3-c8ab-4ce8-987b-3a821461bd06
  5. WF-7710 Epson printer

WF-7710 Epson printer: I just put my ink cartridges in and going to do knozzle check, it shows window that the yellow ink cartridge in not in right, says to take out and reload , I did this several times, even took all out and put back in , it still says yellow in not in correct . it snaps in with...
  6. Epson WF-3620 Printer

Epson WF-3620 Printer: Why won't my Epson WF-3620 printer work with Windows 10? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/epson-wf-3620-printer/b8ce5d84-afe7-4aa6-b86a-5152a267dc7a
  7. Epson WF 2530 printer

Epson WF 2530 printer: Printer will only copy from lap top in color mode. Pictures come out fine but no words will print .New cartridges installed and charge . Have cleaned head and nozzles. In doing nozzle check no black lines come out. If I try to copy or print in black &white blank sheet of...
  8. Epson WF-2540 scanner

Epson WF-2540 scanner: Unable to connect to scanner. Any help would be appreciated. I'm technology challenged. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/epson-wf-2540-scanner/60973b78-e8fb-4a3f-a9dc-37c7ccd120a1
  9. Printing Wirelessly on a Epson WF-2540

Printing Wirelessly on a Epson WF-2540: Team, Up until recently I have never had a problem printing wirelessly on my WF 2540 printer from my computer. I have also had no problem Scanning wirelessly either Then all of a sudden i could no longer print wirelessly from my computer, but could still scan wirelessly...
  10. Printing Wirelessly on a Epson WF-2540

Printing Wirelessly on a Epson WF-2540: Team, Up until recently I have never had a problem printing wirelessly on my WF 2540 printer from my computer. I have also had no problem Scanning wirelessly either Then all of a sudden i could no longer print wirelessly from my computer, but could still scan wirelessly...