Windows 10: "Erase this disk" option greyed out

Discus and support "Erase this disk" option greyed out in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use DVD+RW's on a daily basis -- writing, erasing, and rewriting. However, recently, the "erase this disk" option in File Explorer is greyed out. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mjj6048, May 4, 2021.

1. mjj6048 Win User

"Erase this disk" option greyed out

I use DVD+RW's on a daily basis -- writing, erasing, and rewriting. However, recently, the "erase this disk" option in File Explorer is greyed out. The first time it happened, having failed to find a solution online, I restored my C: partion, which fixed the problem, but is a bit heavy handed. It's happened again today. I can erase the disk using CDBurnerXP, but that's an extra step which I would like to avoid. It affects all disks, so it's not caused by a faulty disk. I would appreciate any suggestions for how "erase this disk" could be brought back to life.

:)

mjj6048, May 4, 2021
  2. mjj6048 Win User

I use DVD+RW's on a daily basis -- writing, erasing, and rewriting. However, recently, the "erase this disk" option in File Explorer is greyed out.

The first time it happened, having failed to find a solution online, I restored my C: partion, which fixed the problem, but is a bit heavy handed.

It's happened again today. I can erase the disk using CDBurnerXP, but that's an extra step which I would like to avoid. It affects all disks, so it's not caused by a faulty disk.

I would appreciate any suggestions for how "erase this disk" could be brought back to life.

mjj6048, May 5, 2021
  3. p_o_s_pc Win User
    Finally! An alternative to eraser...

it looks much cleaner then the eraser so that is a big step up.

p_o_s_pc, May 5, 2021
  4. "Erase this disk" option greyed out

Disk Management

Hi Keith,

Thanks for providing the detail that was requested previously. Since the disk management screen that you saw is showing greyed out options, we suggest that you follow the steps below to change the partition type of your internal drive:

• Open Disk Management then right click the partition on the disk you want to covert and select Delete Volume.
    • Once you complete the process you will see the whole disk shown as two separate unallocated spaces. Right-click the disk and select Convert to GPT disk.

After the conversion, you will be able to use the whole disk and then you can create new separate partitions.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. "Erase this disk" option greyed out - Similar Threads - Erase disk option

2. speech option greyed out.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    speech option greyed out.: Hi everyone, need some help in relation to this issue, been having this for more than 2 weeks and is still unresolved. On settings I'm getting this error....
  3. speech option greyed out.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    speech option greyed out.: Hi everyone, need some help in relation to this issue, been having this for more than 2 weeks and is still unresolved. On settings I'm getting this error....
  4. Disk Management - All drive options are greyed out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Management - All drive options are greyed out: I have a 1TB HDD I'm trying to set up as an external storage drive. Plugged it in, enclosure power light is on and the disk is running, but doesn't show up in My Computer. The drive does show up in Disk Management and in the Device Manager, but literally every option to...
  5. Disk Management - All drive options are greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Management - All drive options are greyed out: I have a 1TB HDD I'm trying to set up as an external storage drive. Plugged it in, enclosure power light is on and the disk is running, but doesn't show up in My Computer. The drive does show up in Disk Management and in the Device Manager, but literally every option to...
  6. Disk Management - All drive options are greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. erase disk greyed out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    erase disk greyed out: cd-rw disk, wish to erase and reformat for use https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/erase-disk-greyed-out/0ee3bdbd-72cd-4f36-9a6a-1736727ff5e4
  8. Extend Disk grey out,

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extend Disk grey out,: Hello, I've recently switch up to Windows 10 V2004 in 12 October from Windows 7 and my computer were running fine up till now. so recently I've I saw that My system disk were kinda a bit of low and I decided to shrink down the other drive and extend the the system disk; but...
  9. index option greyed out

in Cortana
    index option greyed out: index option greyed out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/index-option-greyed-out/c5624f66-4b32-48b5-b9d5-680c2c4165ce
  10. Initialize Disk is greyed out

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Initialize Disk is greyed out: Hello people of the earth I bought a new 240gb kingston ssd and i plugged it in my laptop using a sata adapter. When i check the disk management it shows that its not initialized and when i try to initialize it the initizalize disk is greyed out here's a sample screenshot....