Windows 10: Erased wow6432node on registry,reinstalled W10,can I go back from .old

Discus and support Erased wow6432node on registry,reinstalled W10,can I go back from .old in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello guys, I have a Dell laptop provided by my employer with Windows 10 This morning, I really messed up and erased the folder WOW6432NODE... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by danmo888, Feb 6, 2018.

1. danmo888 Win User

Erased wow6432node on registry,reinstalled W10,can I go back from .old

Hello guys,

I have a Dell laptop provided by my employer with Windows 10

This morning, I really messed up and erased the folder WOW6432NODE instead of an entry in it as I was supposed to do. To be specific --> Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node *cry*cry
    The system immediately felt strange and explore.exe and other things did not work.
    I restarted the laptop and unfortunately there was a sad face and a blue screen with a message saying that an important process was killed. I do not remember. When I tried to go to advanced settings to recover, the system said there were no administrators signed in, etc. I went to the IT department and the guy tried to enable the administrator profile using command prompt via an USB stick but still it did not work. He proceeded to reinstall Windows 10 and now I only have the Windows.old folder with 80 gb of data (that's just programs, as I store my personal data on their servers directly) which I am currently backing up on my Dropbox, since the IT guy wants to do a full restart of the system tomorrow morning.

However, I do not want to go trough the pain of installing everything, plus settings, etc.

I found this link --> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...windows-instal for Windows 7, and somebody says it should apply to Windows 10.

I also found this link What Happens if You Delete the Entire Windows Registry? where they state that Windows backs up a copy of the registry by default on %WINDIR%\System32\config\RegBack\

I went to that folder on my Windows.old and I actually found some files from a week ago. They are called DEFAULT (1.6 MB), SAM (52 Kb), SYSTEM 14.2 MB), SOFTWARE, (95 MB) SECURITY (40 Kb).

Do you guys really think that this is a potentially useful way to get my computer back in the form I had it?

I really do not want to go through the trouble of installing everything again so I need to feel some assurance that it will work as I have two deadlines very soon.

Thank you very much for your time guys

Sincerely,

Daniel

:)

danmo888, Feb 6, 2018

2. Went back from W10 to W7, can I go back to W10 in the future?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, I will be glad to answer your query.

If Windows 10 is activated after upgrading from the previous operating system, you will be able to re-install Windows 10 anytime and get it activated as long as you do not make any hardware changes like changing your motherboard. Choose the option to "skip"
    the product key window and wait for 48 hours to get it activated. However, if Windows does not get activated, you can contact our product activation team for further assistance. For more information, refer the article below:

Get Help Activating Microsoft Windows

Hope this answers your query.

If you have any Windows related queries in the future, let us know. We will be glad to help.

Wungraileng Vashi, Feb 6, 2018
  3. Allegrian Win User
    Went back from W10 to W7, can I go back to W10 in the future?

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 but went back to W7 and it's registered in my account. Will I be able to "reupgrade" to windows 10 for free in the future even if the first upgrade isn't free anymore?

Allegrian, Feb 6, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

You should have done this first by booting up the Recovery Disk and copy everything in regback folder to the config folder. Normally, the files in Regback folder are created by creating a system restore point, run by Schedule Maintenence once a week or can also be run on demand from Task Scheduler (Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Task Scheduler->Task Scheduler Library->Microsoft->Windows->Registry) then right click on: RegIdlwBackup->Run.

Yes, it will bring back to the form when those Files were backup (A week ago as you said)

topgundcp, Feb 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Erased wow6432node on registry,reinstalled W10,can I go back from .old - Similar Threads - Erased wow6432node registry

2. Can I go back to using old windows license on laptop?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I go back to using old windows license on laptop?: I bought a laptop with Windows 10 Home on board a few years ago, started my studies later and activated a second key for Windows 10 Education on the same laptop. I would now like to activate this W10 Education key on another device, and on the laptop go back to the license...
  3. Can I go back to using old windows license on laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I go back to using old windows license on laptop?: I bought a laptop with Windows 10 Home on board a few years ago, started my studies later and activated a second key for Windows 10 Education on the same laptop. I would now like to activate this W10 Education key on another device, and on the laptop go back to the license...
  4. Can I go back to using old windows license on laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I go back to my old cloud files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I go back to my old cloud files?: HiSo does anyone know, can I go back to my old cloud files. Like I know there is something named restore old versions of windows browser or something like that. In word or powerpoint I can take back my deleted things, but when I example delete my all time google history, can...
  6. Can I go back to my old cloud files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I go back to my old cloud files?: HiSo does anyone know, can I go back to my old cloud files. Like I know there is something named restore old versions of windows browser or something like that. In word or powerpoint I can take back my deleted things, but when I example delete my all time google history, can...
  7. Can I go back to my old cloud files?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Will reinstalling Windows 10 erase the old copy of Win10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will reinstalling Windows 10 erase the old copy of Win10?: Hey all, my computer was in need of an upgrade and I decided to see what all this Ryzen hype was about these days. I'm going from an i5-6600k to a Ryzen 7 3700x. Alongside a MSI B550 Gaming plus mobo. The SSD I used with the old cpu/motherboard won't boot in bios, so I'm...
  9. From W10 to W10 Creator(1703) can I delete Windows old and Windows10up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    From W10 to W10 Creator(1703) can I delete Windows old and Windows10up: After upgrading from w10 to w10 creator (1703) can I delete windows old and windows10upgrade folders? Of course after checking that everything works well. Thank you very much 91877
  10. Erased wow6432node on registry,reinstalled W10,can I go back from .old

in Windows 10 Support
    Erased wow6432node on registry,reinstalled W10,can I go back from .old: Hello guys, I have a Dell laptop provided by my employer with Windows 10 This morning, I really messed up and erased the folder WOW6432NODE instead of an entry in it as I was supposed to do. To be specific --> Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node The...