Windows 10: Erratic mouse

Discus and support Erratic mouse in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 on day one or two of the upgrade and have been using it since on my Toshiba 64 bit laptop. It was an upgrade from 8.1. A note... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by deboyer11, Aug 16, 2015.

1. deboyer11 Win User

Erratic mouse

I installed Windows 10 on day one or two of the upgrade and have been using it since on my Toshiba 64 bit laptop. It was an upgrade from 8.1. A note that this laptop is a touch screen that I cracked, disabling the touch function a year or so ago. No problems on Windows 8.

I use Chrome as my browser and initially could not open any tabs on Chrome. That quickly resolved with some uninstalls and reinstalls I think, but no longer an issue.

From the beginning however I've had problems with what I call "erratic mouse". I've been looking but have not seen others id this as a problem. It was a frequent problem in the beginning but seems to be resolving, maybe?

It is an all of a sudden problem. The mouse will not stay where it is. It jumps to the top of the screen and starts clicking on other tabs or, seems to right click on the url setting up boundaries with big tear drops then bringing up cut and paste windows. Difficult to explain what is going on. This has happened on many occasions. The mouse continues these activities (on it's own). The more I try to interfere, the worse it gets. If I walk away and leave it for a while, it might slow down enough so I can direct the PC, via the mouse to a restart. Usually I just unplug to restart. Seems to be running a day or two now before this problem starts.

I just happened again. I pressed and held the "Windows Button" on the PC and the problem resolved.

It's now 8/16. Occurrences seem to be diminishing but it is still happening.

Anybody experiencing similar issues?

Dave

:)

deboyer11, Aug 16, 2015
  2. Tryx3 Win User

What alternatives are there to Windows 10 File Explorer?

erratic
    mouse behaviour

Tryx3, Aug 16, 2015
  3. Mouse performace issue after upgrading to Windows 10.

Original Title: After downloading Windows 10, my mouse is erratic. Any suggestions on how to correct this glitch?

After downloading Windows 10, my mouse is erratic. Any suggestions on how to correct this glitch?

Randy Egenbacher, Aug 16, 2015
  4. deboyer11 Win User

Erratic mouse

I'm replying to my own post to update it and to document for later reference what is going on. Since I've had no replies on my original post, I assume this is an original problem.

On 8/18, the "erratic mouse" happened again on a couple of occasions. I can confirm that the "Windows Button" does NOT resolve the problems as I originally thought, I needed to unplug the laptop to reboot it a couple of times. I also think I can cause the problem to repeat. When I shut the lid to put the laptop to sleep, the failure occurs within a couple of minutes of bringing awake. I was able to repeat it 3X already.

Trying to explain the erratic mouse a little better .... as I said earlier, the mouse starts doing it's own thing. Many time it "brackets" a section of text in the URL on a web page with what I will call "bubble sliders". They look like bubble type markers with points on the top that delineate a section of text to copy or cut. After the delineation occurs, a small rectangular box appears with grids containing copy, cut and paste sections to click. I have never seen anything like it in any application or app. Other things and clicks occur also, just cannot get control of the machine back needing to power down.

I also looked in the event log log for items around the time of failure and am seeing nothing giving me any clues.

deboyer11, Aug 18, 2015
  5. KACI Win User
    Your specs show you have two mice on this machine. Does the same thing happen with both? I think the first thing to check is always the drivers. Make sure you have the latest. a weak battery will also cause strange behavior.

6. deboyer11 Win User
    Thanks for the reply. I thought of drivers from the beginning. I have both mice connected when the problem occurs but have disconnected the wireless with no change in behaviour. Wireless mouse is brand new as is the battery.

Do you happen to know what the reboot process is? I was worried the last time I unplugged the laptop. It started up with the same problem evident on or before the page where you log into the computer (little round circles bouncing around on the login page). After two attempts to unplug it came back and said it failed to reboot did I want advanced restore options or retry? I retried and it came up fine. It's where I stand right now. Everything working fine.
    Thanks,
    Dave

deboyer11, Aug 18, 2015
  7. KACI Win User
    I'm not the expert a lot of these guys are. But it seems like it's not uncommon for systems to take several reboots before it sorts the drivers out correctly. I understand you not wanting to reboot it but you should be fine. Take a look at your device manager and see if it's showing the correct names and doesn't have any warning symbols next to them. I just upgraded my brothers laptop and I did have to unplug and plug back in his mouse to get it to detect it. It wasn't the same issue you are having though. Take a deep breath and shut it down and reboot and see what happens. You'll have to at some point anyway. *Nerd

8. Erratic mouse

Shot in the dark, but I had the exact same behavior, and believe it or not, there was a hair stuck across the optical laser on the bottom of the mouse. I pulled it off, and all back to normal.

Bobby Phoenix, Aug 18, 2015
  9. Bazz Win User
    Have you tried your pc with just one mouse plugged in at a time, mouse 1 and then mouse 2.

10. thilak Win User
    thilak, Dec 13, 2015
  11. deboyer11 Win User
    My computer has a touch screen. I cracked the screen shortly after I got it. I disabled the touch in Windows 8 and have never had a problem again. It was a serious problem in Windows 8. Could barely operate the machine.

After I installed Windows 10, I went out to settings and "thought" I disabled the touch but did not apparently. The problem was much less serious in 10 being erratic. I could work for hours sometimes before needing to reboot. Because of symptoms I thought it was a driver problem with mouse.

Later found out I could not disable in settings, needed to go to device manager to really shut it down. Have not had a problem since.

Thanks for all the posts.

Dave

deboyer11, Dec 13, 2015
  12. I have just had this problem for a couple of days with my wireless mouse. I changed it's batteries but no use. The cursor would refuse to move or may jump all over the screen. This morning it was near unusable. I pressed the keyboard key to move the cursor all the way to the left and it moved left. I then tried to move it to the right and noticed it would stop and start it all the way. I then changed the batteries in the keyboard and now the keyboard works fine. The strange thing is, so does my remote mouse. They are both using the same dongle so it seems that flat batteries in the keyboard can influence how the mouse works. I am windows 7 but should make no difference.

Humansimulator, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Erratic mouse

1. Erratic mouse - Similar Threads - Erratic mouse

2. Mouse pointer erratically changing from arrow pointer, to open hand, and hand with pointer...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse pointer erratically changing from arrow pointer, to open hand, and hand with pointer...: I’m on windows 10, and ONLY on the Edge browser does this happen. When my mouse is still, the cursor is an open hand . When my cursor goes over any text, a link, or any button, it starts erratically and very quickly changing through all of these mouse pointers. It is so...
  3. Mouse pointer erratically changing from arrow pointer, to open hand, and hand with pointer...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse pointer erratically changing from arrow pointer, to open hand, and hand with pointer...: I’m on windows 10, and ONLY on the Edge browser does this happen. When my mouse is still, the cursor is an open hand . When my cursor goes over any text, a link, or any button, it starts erratically and very quickly changing through all of these mouse pointers. It is so...
  4. Mouse pointer erratically changing from arrow pointer, to open hand, and hand with pointer...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Erratic KB & MOuse Freezes w/ Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Erratic KB & MOuse Freezes w/ Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise OS: Due to the multiple erratic KB & mouse freezes w/ both Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise,... under a full & clean OS installations I'll be rather using either Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 / Windows 10 Pro for Workstations or quite likely I'd rather use Windows Server 2022...
  6. Erratic KB & MOuse Freezes w/ Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise OS

Erratic KB & MOuse Freezes w/ Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise OS: Due to the multiple erratic KB & mouse freezes w/ both Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise,... under a full & clean OS installations I'll be rather using either Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 / Windows 10 Pro for Workstations or quite likely I'd rather use Windows Server 2022...
  7. Erratic KB & MOuse Freezes w/ Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Erratic Bluetooth Mouse issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Erratic Bluetooth Mouse issue: Why does Windows 11 keep installing a 2nd HID Bluetooth mouse driver? It took me quite a while to figure out what was causing my MS mouse to have erratic moves. In the Device Manager, I noticed 2 drivers. I removed 1, mouse now works well. Next time I start my HP AIO touch...
  9. Erratic Bluetooth Mouse issue

Erratic Bluetooth Mouse issue: Why does Windows 11 keep installing a 2nd HID Bluetooth mouse driver? It took me quite a while to figure out what was causing my MS mouse to have erratic moves. In the Device Manager, I noticed 2 drivers. I removed 1, mouse now works well. Next time I start my HP AIO touch...
  10. New gateway laptop, running windows 11 with an external monitor. Erratic mouse operatio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New gateway laptop, running windows 11 with an external monitor. Erratic mouse operatio: I have a new gateway laptop Running windows 11. I use an external monitor. When I close the laptop lid, the mouse becomes erratic. Sometimes not too much, other times so bad that I can not do any work. I reloaded mouse drivers and bluetooth drivers with no effect.if I open...