Windows 10: Error 0x80004005 when attempting to access Network share

Discus and support Error 0x80004005 when attempting to access Network share in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have shared folders on my laptop and PC. PC is on Win 10 Pro 1803 Build 17134.407. Laptop is Win 10 Pro 1803 Build 17134.345. Neither can access the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by djeyewater, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Error 0x80004005 when attempting to access Network share

I have shared folders on my laptop and PC. PC is on Win 10 Pro 1803 Build 17134.407. Laptop is Win 10 Pro 1803 Build 17134.345. Neither can access the shares on the other, trying to access gives Error 0x80004005. The only relevant thing I can find about this error is lack of SMB1 support. Presumably Windows should be using SMB2/3 instead, so I followed the advice in this article to check SMB2 sharing was enabled. On both machines I have run:

Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMB2Protocol

which shows true on both

Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters | ForEach-Object {Get

-ItemProperty $_.pspath}

which shows on the laptop:

EnableAuthenticateUserSharing : 0
    ServiceDll : C:\WINDOWS\system32\srvsvc.dll
    ServiceDllUnloadOnStop : 1
    EnableForcedLogoff : 1
    EnableSecuritySignature : 0
    NullSessionPipes : {}
    RequireSecuritySignature : 0
    RestrictNullSessAccess : 1
    Guid : {9, 98, 21, 73...}
    PSPath : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Service
    s\LanmanServer\Parameters
    PSParentPath : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Service
    s\LanmanServer
    PSChildName : Parameters
    PSProvider : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\Registry

and on the PC:

ServiceDll : C:\WINDOWS\system32\srvsvc.dll

ServiceDllUnloadOnStop : 1
    EnableAuthenticateUserSharing : 1

EnableForcedLogoff : 1
    EnableSecuritySignature : 0

LmAnnounce : 0

NullSessionPipes : {}
    RequireSecuritySignature : 0
    RestrictNullSessAccess : 1

Size : 1

Guid : {9, 98, 21, 73...}
    PSPath : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Service

s\LanmanServer\Parameters
    PSParentPath : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Service
    s\LanmanServer
    PSChildName : Parameters
    PSProvider : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\Registry

sc.exe qc lanmanworkstation

which shows on both:

[SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: lanmanworkstation
    TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
    START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
    ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
    BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k NetworkService -p
    LOAD_ORDER_GROUP : NetworkProvider
    TAG : 0
    DISPLAY_NAME : Workstation
    DEPENDENCIES : Bowser
    : MRxSmb20
    : NSI
    SERVICE_START_NAME : NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService

The only odd thing I can spot is EnableAuthenticateUserSharing : 0 on the laptop, but I assume that if that was causing an issue, it would only affect accessing the laptop from the PC, while I can't access the PC from the laptop either.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

:)

djeyewater, Dec 1, 2018
  2. D007 Win User

Error 0x80004005

How To Fix 0x80004005 Error?
    Look to the right of the screen and follow the steps to fix the problem. Hope this helps.

D007, Dec 1, 2018
  3. DTG1 Win User
    Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

DTG1, Dec 1, 2018
  4. Error 0x80004005 when attempting to access Network share

Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Dec 1, 2018
Thema:

Error 0x80004005 when attempting to access Network share

1. Error 0x80004005 when attempting to access Network share - Similar Threads - Error 0x80004005 attempting

2. Error Code 0x80004005 When Accessing Shared Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error Code 0x80004005 When Accessing Shared Folder: Hi, I'm experiencing Error Code 0x80004005 when attempting to access a shared folder on my Windows 11 PC. This folder is hosted on another computer in the network, and I've previously had no issues accessing it. I've checked the sharing settings and permissions, but I still...
  3. Error Code 0x80004005 When Accessing Shared Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error Code 0x80004005 When Accessing Shared Folder: Hi, I'm experiencing Error Code 0x80004005 when attempting to access a shared folder on my Windows 11 PC. This folder is hosted on another computer in the network, and I've previously had no issues accessing it. I've checked the sharing settings and permissions, but I still...
  4. network error troubleshooter 0x80004005

in Windows 10 Gaming
    network error troubleshooter 0x80004005: Hello. I have a normal day today with the computer when browsing some emails and when I open a new tab it doesnt open the site that Im trying to open. It shows too long for the page to respond. I close and re open the site and still the same. Clear cache and cookies no...
  5. network error troubleshooter 0x80004005

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    network error troubleshooter 0x80004005: Hello. I have a normal day today with the computer when browsing some emails and when I open a new tab it doesnt open the site that Im trying to open. It shows too long for the page to respond. I close and re open the site and still the same. Clear cache and cookies no...
  6. network error troubleshooter 0x80004005

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Network Error: Unable to access Network drive, Error 0x80004005

in Windows 10 News
    Network Error: Unable to access Network drive, Error 0x80004005: [ATTACH]Some Windows 10 users might encounter the error message Unable to access Network drive, […] This article Network Error: Unable to access Network drive, Error 0x80004005 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. network error when attempting to open an .exe file from network share

network error when attempting to open an .exe file from network share: When attempting to open a .exe file from a network share I am getting the error below . This only occurs for '.exe' extension files over a network share. I can map the drive or go to the folder path and receive the same error message. I am able to open if I copy an .exe file...
  9. Windows cannot access \\localhost - Error 0x80004005

Windows cannot access \\localhost - Error 0x80004005: Since more than a year now I have this nagging problem. My computer is Windows 10 and the current build is 1809, 17763.678. 127.0.0.1 as well as \\ipaddress fail as well, though ping 127.0.0.1 from Command Prompt works OK. I’ve added 127.0.0.1 localhost and ::1 localhost to...
  10. Viewing Network Error 0x80004005

Viewing Network Error 0x80004005: I am on Windows 10 build 17763, I'm trying to connect to a Synology NAS and get the 80004005 error. I've tried lots of stuff I found on the internet and nothing is working. I have a non-Insider build on another PC and on a MAC and can get to the NAS with no problem. If...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanServer\Parameters EnableAuthenticateUserSharing=