Windows 10: Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

Discus and support Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; [ATTACH] This error keeps persisting. Please help. 2 days ago I purchased a retail key for windows 10 and installed it on my PC It worked well.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Aniket_B, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Aniket_B Win User

Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long 7dd1e86f-413f-4557-ac83-fac3243281d5?upload=true.png

This error keeps persisting. Please help.

2 days ago I purchased a retail key for windows 10 and installed it on my PC It worked well. Today I installed bitdefender antivirus software and uninstalled previous antivirus software and updated windows from v1903 to v2004. Then I tried creating a folder and tried to rename it, it didn't work and threw this error at me. I tried renaming files, that worked perfectly well and I could rename any file. I could even rename a shortcut. But just the folders, I am unable to rename. I tried every setting in forums and googled everything I could, literally tried everything and didn't find a solution to this. Do I have to format my PC I really don't want to do it?

Can anyone solve this problem?

:)

Aniket_B, Oct 13, 2020
  2. Edwin Win User

Jump list not showing full filename if pointer is hovering long files?

For some reason, this only applies to Taskbar jump lists, but you need to 'Pin' the item to the list first.
    Everywhere else it works as expected.

Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 13, 2020
  3. Filename too long to copy

Hi John,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can understand how frustrating it could be when things go unusual. I will certainly help you.

We suggest you to refer the below steps and check it works:

• If you are needing to simply migrate a lot of folders from one place to another is to map a drive to the drilled own folder. Browse to the hidden share path and copy it to your clipboard.
    • Click on Map Network Drive in My PC It would appear under the tools menu.
    • Then simply paste your long path and hit Finish.
    • Now you will be able to copy the files/folders into this location without receiving that error.

Please refer the below link for reference:

Can't Delete Folder, "Destination Path Too Long" Error in Windows 7

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Deepak..Raghav, Oct 13, 2020
  4. Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

Delete file with long filename "command window method does not work"

Unfortunately, still doesn't work..... after I press enter, it correctly shows the path & filename, but then return "The system cannot find the path specified."

the filename is 255 long including extension. I tried rename it with ren, also return filename or extension is too long.

:-/

Hanson Moh, Oct 13, 2020
Thema:

Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

1. Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long - Similar Threads - Error 0x800700CE filename

2. Impossible to rename a Onedrive filename, path too long error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Impossible to rename a Onedrive filename, path too long error: Hi, when creating a new .txt file in my OneDrive storage via File Explorer application on Windows 11 23H2, I get this error: how can rename this file and create others in this folder?"Windows SecurityThese files can't be openedYour Internet security settings prevented one or...
  3. Impossible to rename a Onedrive filename, path too long error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Impossible to rename a Onedrive filename, path too long error: Hi, when creating a new .txt file in my OneDrive storage via File Explorer application on Windows 11 23H2, I get this error: how can rename this file and create others in this folder?"Windows SecurityThese files can't be openedYour Internet security settings prevented one or...
  4. Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long: This error keeps persisting. Please help.Dear Customer Support,I am writing to raise a significant concern regarding a persistent issue I have been experiencing with my laptop. I have been using my laptop for approximately one year, and from the very beginning, I have...
  5. Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long: This error keeps persisting. Please help.Dear Customer Support,I am writing to raise a significant concern regarding a persistent issue I have been experiencing with my laptop. I have been using my laptop for approximately one year, and from the very beginning, I have...
  6. Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long: Ever since I purchased Win 11 on my machine, it has been giving me issues. The biggest one right now is that I cannot rename folders. Any time I try no matter how I try to do it, I get the above error.HELP. I have a metric f-ton of "New folder" folders now....
  7. Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long: Ever since I purchased Win 11 on my machine, it has been giving me issues. The biggest one right now is that I cannot rename folders. Any time I try no matter how I try to do it, I get the above error.HELP. I have a metric f-ton of "New folder" folders now....
  8. The filenames would be too long for the destination folder.

The filenames would be too long for the destination folder.: I am just looking at a thread from this blog created in April 2018 which came up in my search because the same old "file name is too long" error came up again. Here is an excerpt from that session: - - - Yeah, certainly annoying. Even more annoying is that the copy operation...
  9. Error 0x800700CE: Filename or extension too long error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x800700CE: Filename or extension too long error: Hello, I use the computer a lot. There was an error in Windows 10. Error 0x800700CE: Filename or extension too long error I changed it to windows 11 and it did not work again.1. It happens in every folder.2.System new3. It happened in every folder and when I reset it. I can't...
  10. Error 0x800700CE: Filename or extension too long error

Error 0x800700CE: Filename or extension too long error: Hello, I use the computer a lot. There was an error in Windows 10. Error 0x800700CE: Filename or extension too long error I changed it to windows 11 and it did not work again.1. It happens in every folder.2.System new3. It happened in every folder and when I reset it. I can't...