Windows 10: Error 0x800700E when trying to connect an external hard drive using File History

Discus and support Error 0x800700E when trying to connect an external hard drive using File History in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have used File History for a long time, but recently I got an error code when trying to connect. I then switched off the File History and switched it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rikke T., May 6, 2019.

1. Rikke T. Win User

Error 0x800700E when trying to connect an external hard drive using File History

I have used File History for a long time, but recently I got an error code when trying to connect. I then switched off the File History and switched it back on, which resulted in a message saying that I cannot connect and I must look up error code 0x800700E. I can't find any useful information. I am running Windows 10 on a laptop pc. Please suggest possible solutions.

Spørgsmålsinfo Senest opdateret maj 6, 2019 Visninger 3 Gælder for:
    Error 0x800700E when trying to connect an external hard drive using File History [​IMG]

:)

Rikke T., May 6, 2019
  2. Rikke T. Win User

Is there any way to reuse an external hard drive for file history in Windows 10

Concerning your questions:

1) I have downloaded and installed the automatic updates from Windows Update. Additionally, I recently updated to the 2019 version of my antivirus program, which is Bitdefender International Security.

2) I don't get any error messages, when I plug the drive into an USB connection on the computer.

3) No, I haven't, but please see below

4) I only have one external hard drive, so no.

I can read the information on the external hard drive, when I access it from Windows Explorer. I can also save a file directly to the external hard drive.

Since I wrote to you, I tried once more to do a backup using File History, which has aggrevated the problem. No when I try to use/switch on File History (I am not quite sure of the terminology here, as my Windows installation
    is in Danish), I get error code 0x800700E. This means, I can't use File History at all now. Thus, I don't think it will make much sense to try connecting to another USB port.

I tried googling that error code, and have run both DISM and sfc scannow. Neither found any errors. I also tried using a restore point, which failed. I can't remember what error code I got, but I am quite certain it said something
    with error on system files.

Any suggestions what I can do?

Kind regards,

Rikke T., May 6, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, May 6, 2019
  4. Error 0x800700E when trying to connect an external hard drive using File History

File History is off and won't recognize my external drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• Have you made any changes in settings prior to the issue?

• What is the status when you connect your external driver in your system?

• Have you checked with a different external drive? What is the status?

• Have you tried connecting the drive in a different USB port? What is the status?

I suggest you to disable your third party-software (If any) and check if it resolves the issue.

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install
    other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Check if it helps.

You can also try turning on file history by following the below procedure and check if it resolves the issue.

To enable file history on Windows 10, connect an external hard drive and follow the steps below:

• Open Start menu and type
      File History

• Click File History (control panel)

• Tap or click Select a drive, and choose the network or external drive you want to use.

• Turn on File History
    Note: If the network drive you want isn’t in the list of available drives, tap or click Show all network locations. If the drive you want isn’t listed there either, open File History in Control Panel, tap or click Add
    a network location, and follow the instructions on the screen.

Please reply with the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

Aswin_Anand, May 6, 2019
Thema:

Error 0x800700E when trying to connect an external hard drive using File History

1. Error 0x800700E when trying to connect an external hard drive using File History - Similar Threads - Error 0x800700E trying

2. File History external hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History external hard drive freezes computer: FYI - After switching to Windows 10 I chose to try File History to backup my data files. When the external hard drive is connected, my computer will freeze whenever the hard drive light is on. I am using a Dell laptop with wireless mouse and keyboard through a Dell "docking"...
  3. File History can't see external hard drive

File History can't see external hard drive: File History can no longer see my external hard drive, 4tb WD My Passport. I have used this drive previously with file history on this very computer and on my laptop so I know it can work. A little while ago I decided to temporarily stop using File History, but now when I try...
  4. File History not detecting my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History not detecting my external hard drive: I’m trying to backup my computer with File History and I’m trying to back it up to my external WD 4TB external hard drive. But when selecting the drives to back it up to, it only shows my HDD. submitted by /u/throaway9001 [link] [comments]...
  5. Error when transferring files to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error when transferring files to external hard drive: When transferring image files from laptop to an external hard drive I continue getting an error message saying there is not enough space in the computers picture files to complete the transfer. This is not making sense to me as I am trying to transfer the images from the...
  6. Trying to backup PC to external hard drive but file history wont turn on.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to backup PC to external hard drive but file history wont turn on.: trying to backup PC to external hard drive but File History won't turn on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trying-to-backup-pc-to-external-hard-drive-but/e5d81d7c-edb4-40b9-9cf5-3b498b4e9471
  7. File History Baxckup not recognizing External hard drive

File History Baxckup not recognizing External hard drive: Scheduled backup stop working. Went to File History and found it had turned itself off. When trying to turn File History back on got message Could not recognize external drive. Tried reformating drive, called MS Support, nothing worked, so tied a different external drive...
  8. Tried to use File History with an external hard drive to transfer all of my old laptop's...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tried to use File History with an external hard drive to transfer all of my old laptop's...: Both backups are still in the drive, but now I cant find a way to make File History select my old computer's backup. I've tried deleting the new backup and changing the drive's name, but no go. submitted by /u/Arzamol [link] [comments]...
  9. Using File History on external USB drive.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Using File History on external USB drive.: I have all my docs on a separate drive than my system drive c:, called drive I, and I back up using FileHistory to drive K. I and K are different partitions on a separate but the same secondary hard drive, which is silly seeing that if the actual hardware crashed no files or...
  10. Is there any way to solve error 0x800700E for connecting to an external hard drive in...

Is there any way to solve error 0x800700E for connecting to an external hard drive in...: I have been using FileHistory in Windows 10 for several years. Recently (probably after my antivirus program was updated), my computer said that it could not connect to my external harddrive, which I use for backing up. At first, I solved the problem by deactivating the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is error 0x800700e